MY Landing Experience

Jai Surya

Registered Users (C)
Alright folks before the Landing, I was the usual, looking through the websites and trying to figure out everything and I found
a lot of helpful stuff from a lot of postings, so I thought I should put my two cents in also.
Anyway I entered Canada through Route 81 from NY to Ontario. The immigration post was Lansdowne. At the booth, I was asked
a few number of questions, like are you carrying any firearms, alcohol, cigarettes etc. I said no and said that I was landing.
I was given a slip of paper and told to go to the first booth. There we saw Immigration and Customs and we went to the Immigration
side first. I gave our Landing Papers to the Immigration Lady and then she asked for our passports. I gave them to her.
I had removed the I-94s previously, thanks to all the helpful postings which I had read on this website. Next I was asked for
bank statements which I showed them to her. I was asked if they were in US funds and I said yes. She noted the equivalent in
Canadian dollars. I was asked if there were any dependants with me other than those listed. I said no. I was asked if I had been
arrested. I said no. I was told to initialize at certain places and then signed at the appropriate place. After that the Lady stamped
our passports and said that we had landed and we should apply for our SIN cards and health cards and we could study and work.
We mentioned that we would be going back to the US after a week and eventually come back. She mentioned that we should be
aware of the 183 day rule.
Then we were told to go to the Customs. Now here I had prepared a "goods to follow list". I was asked by the Customs Official
if we were moving to Canada. I said no. I was asked again, whether I was moving to Canada. I said no and added that I was landing
in Canada, would be searching for a house and job and returning back to the US and eventually move to Canada in a couple of months.
He said then when we move to Canada, we should show our landed documents and then they would process the goods.
Now here being the big-mouth that I am, I mentioned that I had a "goods to follow list". Then he said that, are you sure that the
goods to follow list will not change and was I ready to process my car that day. I said no and he said have a good day.
So that was the experience. Of course usual advise, don\'t volunteer more info than asked for. So I did not have to import
my car, which otherwise would have cost me another CAN$ 200.

Ok, certain things about Canada. Usually when you change US funds to Canadian funds, many banks
take a charge of CAN$2.00 to 3.00, in addition to the buying rate. So its a good idea to shop around, if
you have the time. CIBC did not take any commision from me. Believe me take a calculator with you.
It will help you to convert US$ to CAN$, miles to km, gallons to litres, you name it.

Coming back, we came back through the Peace bridge. Again I had read on this websites the problems
that people had encountered on the Rainbow bridge. So I decided to avoid that and go through the Peace bridge.
The US immigration officer asked us for our Citizenships, we handed in our passports with the I-797 H1 approval
forms. The visa was expired and the I-94 that comes with the approval was stapled over the expired white I-94.
The Immigration Officer also looked at the Canadian Landing papers. He asked if we were bringing anything from Canada
and we said no and he let us through.
So hope this posting helps to all the prospective immigrants and travellers to Canada

No Title

Iam planning to land next week from US and Thanks for sharing your experience.

can I have a pattern of "goods to follow " list and Did you also apply for health cards in first trip?Do we need to take canadian currency well advance.

No Title

srvallem,

The "Goods to Follow List" can be a usual list. The following is how I prepared it. Of course
as per my first posting, the Custom folks did not see it.

1. Automobiles
Type Manufacturer Year VINNo\'s Book Value
2. Television Sets
Type Manufacturer Model No. When purchased Estimated Value
3. DVD player
Type Manufacturer Model No. When purchased Estimated Value

and so on and so forth. One can make an estimate on the goods by what you would have paid
for them, had they been on sale by somebody else.

Personal clothes can be rounded up.
Jewellery should be itemised.

Regarding carrying Canadian currency from here, it is really up to you,
if you get a good buy. The conversion rates when I was there varied from
1.5 CAN$ to 1.52 CAN$ for 1 US dollar.
By the way banks close by 4 p.m., so if you want to shop around do
so earlier.

We did not apply for the health cards, because you can only apply for them
3 months after one has landed. Also you need a document stating that you
are residing in Canada like an electricity bill, or a Canadian bank statement.
May be a good idea just to explore the health card requirements for now.

Hope this helps

Best Candian Search Engine???

Hey Jai,

what is the Best search engine( Like mapquest.com) in getting driving directions in canada and Do we need to Book a motel in advance when go for Landing.

I was trying in mapquest and It always says the address is wrong,though I was using the correct address,I would like to Book nearest Motel from the place where I getdown from BUS in Vancouver,Yeah Iam travelling by Bus from Seattle .

Any help would be appreciated.

No Title

srvallem,

Regarding driving directions, I tried yahoo and maps
and then driving directions. But I also had
some trouble locating certain places. Take a map
of Vancouver with you (get it from the AAA office) and
also one of British Columbia.

I think if you search on the web you may be able to
get more info on the motels in Vancouver.
I am attaching a link posted earlier by somebody
who landed in Vancouver.

http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/rajanr/index.html

Check the website out and it has links to hotel guide
in Vacouver and the YMCA link too.

You really do not need to book a motel in advance.
Usual question by the Canadian immigration is where would
you be staying and you can answer that I am going to look
around for a motel. Of course an earlier booking may
be more convinent to you. You can also get bus schedules
at any bus stop or just ask a bus driver. That way you can figure
out your way in the city.
Last time I was in Vancouver, on the weekends the bus ticket
was good for the bus, the skytrain and the sea-bus. This is
1992, so I don\'t know if things have changed.
Check the YMCA also for less expensive rooms. Of course
you might have to share the bathroom (like college I guess).

Regarding the goods you are carrying, I gather from
your posting that since you are travelling by bus, you
wouldn\'t be carrying more that a suitcase with your personal
clothes. I don\'t think you have to carry any list for that,
since you are going to bring them back with you I presume.

So anyway don\'t worry and good luck. It should
be fine.

Vancouver is a great city and you can also visit the
gurdhwaras for free veggie food if need be. I was
a student when I was there, so obviously I had
a list of gurdhwaras. Anyway just making conversation.

Big Thanks!!!

Hi Jai,

Thanks for your Tips and I hope I would have a fruitful trip to Canada next week.I will post my Landing experience in this site, Once Iam done.

I will definitely try for the Gurudwara veggie Food.
Thanks for sharing your experience and have a great time.

Thanks,
Vallem
srvallem@hotmail.com

Medical certificate

Jai,

When we go for landing, do we need to produce evidence of immunization for tetanus,measles,diphtheria,rubella and mumps for the children under age of 18 (Copied from the letter along with PR Documents)

I have a Kid ( 2yrs 3 months).

No Title

srvallem,

Which port of entry did you use to enter Canada and back to U.S.
Also did you come back to U.S. on H-1 or AP.

Thanks in advance

No Title

Hi! srvallem. Glad to know everything went fine.
How was your landing experience and how did you
like Vancouver?

Hi, SRVallem,Do you have valid H1 Multiple visa or Approval notice , please give details of your tri

Blood test

McGoo,

I believe when I gave my medical for the Canadian immigration, they took a blood
sample, a urine sample and chest x-ray and a physical. Usually the doctor tells
you whether there is a problem or not. Also its a good idea to tell the doctor about
the Hepatits problem and see whether it is reflected in the blood sample or not.

In my case the doctor told me that I had high blood pressure, which I do, coz its
heriditary. I was told to meditate for a few minutes and the they took my blood pressure
again and then the doc was satisfied.

The blood sample is not sent to the Canadian authorities and it is the doc that
makes the judgement of it being a problem for immigration or not. Only the
ches x-ray is sent to the Candian authorities.

Again not a bad idea to confide with the doc.

hope this helps.