My Interview Experience

classyivy1

Registered Users (C)
Sorry this is a few days late.....

Our interview was scheduled for 2pm on 10/25 at Garden City. We arrived at the office at 1:30pm and immediately went through security. We entered a large waiting room where we told to sit with a group of about 10-12 people waiting to be called. My husband and I were in good spirits as he has waited for this day for almost 10 years. At about 2:10 an officer began calling people to form a line to go upstairs to another waiting area. When we got upstairs we noticed that there was already a room full of people waiting. One by one people were called in and after about 45 minutes we were called (we were the 2nd to last couple called :( ). By this time I felt extremely light headed and the immigration officer had to give me some candy to get my blood sugar level up. She told me I should have eaten because we would be there for a while (was this a sign of things to come???). We were sworned in and then told that we could not answer a question for the other person if they did not know the answer. She started off by asking us for originals of our passports, birth certificates, marriage license, etc. While my husband was laying these documents out, she asked my where did we meet. I responded immediately. She kept staring directly at me as though to intimidate me, but I was cool. She asked the question two more times as though she would get a different answer. She then looked at the documents and pointed out that my husband's birth certificate was not an original. We were given this document by his grandmother who came to visit over the summer time as well as a copy. I assumed this was the original. Then she pointed to the notice saying that if we did not bring in an original it must be stamped as a certified copy. I was floored and my husband was hurt. She went on about this for a few minutes making this a big deal. Then she said that you could be denied for not having the original. I said to her that we could go to the consulate here and have the document certified. She mentioned that she would have to email back and forth to our country to verify the document, blah, blah, blah. From that point my husband was extremely flustered and nervous.

She continued to ask about:

1-His mother and her occupation and where does she live?
2-My daughter from a previous relationship (asked my husband her birthday and age, asked me what did my husband buy her for her birthday)
3-Where I work and what did I do for a living?
4-How has my husband supported himself since being in this country?
5-Asked my husband how far along is my pregnancy and the hospital where we will have the baby?

Then she preceded to ask the "Yes", "No" questions, where my husband answered "No" to all except the one about someone filing for him previously. His stepdad filed a I-130 petition back in 2003 but an I-485 was never filed afterwards. We discussed this case and the fact that his stepfather is not in the country right now and therefore that case would go nowhere. I was concerned that this first case would affect our petition but was told that it would not. Then I asked about his namecheck and was told that she could not give out that info :confused:. Also asked about the I-130 and was not given any info. I was told we would get a letter in the mail with the decision.

She took a couple of pictures from our stack for the files and wrote in his passport that his I-485 is pending.

We are worried. My husband and I have a legitimate relationship and everything was in order. This officer gave us no indication of where we stand. Does anyone think we should be worried? I am about to get my pastor (a former US Congressman) involved.

I don't think there is anything to worry about. This is my opinion.
I got interviewed about 20 days ago, and it was a very smooth interview, but I didn't get a formal approval.

However, when I asked him about the FBI name check, he looked at his computer and stated that it is cleared. However, my I-130 is not approved yet and so, I have to wait.

I went to infopass alast thursday, and they told me that I have to wait because 2 weeks after an interview is nothing.

So, I will wait.

Back to your interview, I think wait couple more weeks see if you get any LUD or any letter.

I wish you good luck.

i have a feeling this is the same IO who interviewed me. was she a lady in her mid 50's i would say. she also gave me the same decision and i a, still waiting. my interview was on may31st. i dont mean to discourage you. but in your case may be the name check is pending.
s

Sounds like a biatch!!! I hate people that are like that.... you know, you have to err on the side of honest people. Not on the side of justice. If a few hundred fraud get in in contrast to one legit couple being denied, then so be it....

I hope everything goes alright for you - keep us updated.

it looks like you might get a letter for a stokes interview which comes on one year after the original dtae of interview, by then you guys will have timen to gather what ever documents they will tell you to gather and also during this time you mightget a visit from an Io just to see if you guys are for real, but generally if this is the case the when you go back in a year you will be granted.

I have the same note on my passport. Maybe this is the new thing... The IO did mention my checks were clear and that he was aproving the petition but pending a waiver.

It's strange that she didn't give you a clue about the status of anything. I think if she denied or something else was wrong and didn't want to say it, you would get something on the mail soon. But I hope it's something pending and she just didn't feel like sharing the info. Check the mail and the updates online! I wish you luck!

That was BS, the whole "I can not give that information"... I would complain to her supervisor.

But then, now all you have left is waiting..

Classyivy1,
It seems you got a hardliner for an adjudicator. My advise would be to wait it out and see what happens. If 30 days pass, make an infopass appointment.
Good luck!!!

it looks like you might get a letter for a stokes interview which comes on one year after the original dtae of interview, by then you guys will have timen to gather what ever documents they will tell you to gather and also during this time you mightget a visit from an Io just to see if you guys are for real, but generally if this is the case the when you go back in a year you will be granted.

To be honest, if I receive a letter for a stokes interview I will raise hell all across America if I have to. My husband and I have been together since July 2004. We got married in March 2006 and filed his application in June 2007. If you look at the timeline of when the marriage took place vs. when we filed, why would any couple in our situation wait amost a yr and a half to file for AOS? Wouldn't it benefit us to get his situation taken care of immediately? I have been the sole breadwinner in my household during this time and thank God I have a well paying job. I am also 9 months pregnant. There is nothing fraudulent about our case. All our paper work was in order (with the exception of the birth paper issue) and we answered every question appropriately. We had pictures clearly showing us together when we first met and started dating and our lives together.

I will wait a couple of weeks then get my pastor involved to find out where the case is going. When I told my mother about the interview, she mentioned that some of the questions/ comments made by the IO were immaterial to our case and we should write a letter to our Congressman.

Thanks everyone for your support. I will be sure to keep you posted on my situation.

I understand your frustration. My IO was a hardliner too and very inapropriate with some of his comments. He called the people from my birth country "them" in a not so nice way a couple of times. He looked at me and husband and said only the mother knows who the father of a baby is, in his response to us telling him we're pregnant. And other comments like that... Do you think writing a letter would do anything?
Try not stressing too much, for the baby! I'm trying to do that...

You would think, I think some of those IO are so hard nose that they do not care. I mean if everything looks good on paper and that's what they are going by (paper, background and namecheck) then the unnecessary statement are not needed. I would be stress and hurt is someone question the father of the child I was caring. Not nice, that's why I will be taking my lawyer with me. But these people are hard up on themselves (some) they won't give a crap who I had with me. I'll make sure to say a pray for you and chocolat.

You would think, I think some of those IO are so hard nose that they do not care. I mean if everything looks good on paper and that's what they are going by (paper, background and namecheck) then the unnecessary statement are not needed. I would be stress and hurt is someone question the father of the child I was caring. Not nice, that's why I will be taking my lawyer with me. But these people are hard up on themselves (some) they won't give a crap who I had with me. I'll make sure to say a pray for you and chocolat.

Tks Trini! We had an attorney with us, but he made comments about what the IO said after the interview. He even said that he has to smile at their jokes and get the GC for their clients at the end of the day. I think that the fact that he didn't say anything to the IO during the interview did hurt us at least a little bit. But I'm not sure how much can they say anyway. It's though to argue with a guy that at that moment has all the power to screw up your life because you said something about what he said. I did start to say something as soon as he brought up the unlawfull presence issue during the interview, but he made sure he didn't let me say anything about it. We filed the waiver yesterday and I looked at the details of the request from the IO. I looked at the specific section that he mentions and confirmed that it doesn't apply to me. Now we have to wait and see what happens...

Classyivy1,that was real tough.I have browsed other forums like this one and have seen some of the posts in here from people in nyc,and it seems that alot of the io's there are very strict.That was a bad break you guys got...Did the io even ask to see documents that show a real marriage like a lease,financial docs,etc?...Well if I was in your shoes I couldn't explain how i would be feeling,but i would wait till the decision came in the mail,and if it's not a good one,proceed with the help of your pastor and fight this thing like hell!

pville85,

speaking of forums, which other immigration forums do you peruse?

which do you find most informative?

:confused:

Tks Trini! We had an attorney with us, but he made comments about what the IO said after the interview. He even said that he has to smile at their jokes and get the GC for their clients at the end of the day. I think that the fact that he didn't say anything to the IO during the interview did hurt us at least a little bit. But I'm not sure how much can they say anyway. It's though to argue with a guy that at that moment has all the power to screw up your life because you said something about what he said. I did start to say something as soon as he brought up the unlawfull presence issue during the interview, but he made sure he didn't let me say anything about it. We filed the waiver yesterday and I looked at the details of the request from the IO. I looked at the specific section that he mentions and confirmed that it doesn't apply to me. Now we have to wait and see what happens...

I thought the unlawful presence was forgiven. I guess they have the right to ask.

I always thought the IO could ask whatever question they wanted. I'm I wrong?

No... foolishness doesn't permit them from abusing their 9-5 powers. Some of these people are just ridiculous, whether your name is cleared or not is free information which they can give you. What does it cost them?

This adjudicator was from hell or hasn't had any in a long time...;)