My interview experience at Garden City,NY

myjuls

Registered Users (C)
Our interview was scheduled for 9 a.m. on June19,06. We arrived there with my husband half an hour earlier, passed security, submitted our interview letter and were told to take our seats in the area with red seats which are for familly based applicants. The place was full of people : couples, people with children, lawyers; everybody was carring folders, albums, some even had travel bags on the wheels with them.
After about 10 minutes a lady came with a bunch of interview notices in her hand and started calling out names from the pack that she had, once a line was formed she led everyone upstairs, then in some time a Philipino looking guy came and took another group upstairs, while we were there they came few times and left with people but they wouldn't call our names and it was already 9:45 I got really concerned why we were not called and came up to that lady and asked her about it. She said something like : " Don't worry, just wait ." So next time (at about 10:00) this guy came and finally we heard my name and got up. Now, upstairs there was another waiting area and we had another hour to wait there. There were actually 2 waiting areas: the girl would take her people to one and the guy to another so I've got the impression that all people were divided into 2 groups I am thinking based on the complicity of the case that's because strangely enough, the guy was coming for people more often than the girl so the people who were in his groups were interviewed faster. But it's just my assumption ....

Now, we were once again called at about 11 a.m. by an immigration officer who appeared to be an asian looking guy in his early 50's with a stone face with no emotions on it, very serious. He showed us to his room, swore us in and asked us for our passports and ID's. I gave him that, he looked and wrote smth down, after that he asked for taxes for the past 3 years. I asked him if he whould rather want transcripts, he said " yes" and I gave him the transcripts and in addition offered him transcripts from our co-sponsor. He looked at the taxes and he it comes... the question that I was dreading that he would ask. The problem was that in my husbands tax returnes for 04,03 it said that he was single ( he filed for taxes late and all at once for 3 years and the accountant who was preparing them put him as single in all of them and we overlooked it but the latest tax return for 2005 we made sure everything was fine - we filed a joint one ). When he asked us about my husbands being single on those transcrips I answered that it was accountant's mistake. He seemed to be o.k with that. The he asked about joint stuff. I asked if he wanted originals or copies and he said " copies ".
I gave him : subleases for 3 years, joint checking account statements, joint credit account statements, phone bills, electricity bills. He was stapling all these and writing something. After that he asked me my address, if we had kids, when I came to US and if I have ever been arrested. Then wrote smth in the passport gave us back IDs and told us to go downstairs and wait for the passport. The whole thing lasted about 10 minutes, very fast, the guy was like robot, no comments, no emotions. I was so confused and shocked as he didn't say anything in the end. So, as he was leaving the room I stopped him and asked like " are we ok ,are we approved ", he said "yes ", then I asked him about my FBI name check and he answered " it's o.k" .
That was the end of the interview ! Then we went again downstairs and waited for another 30 minutes there. The officer called me to come to the window where he handed me my passport and said that they couldn't stamp it because it was expired. Well, I was expecting it and wasn't surprised at all.

That was it! :)

Thanks to all people in this forum for help and support and all the information.
:) :) :)

Best of luck to everybody!!!