My Experience

Robert Fisher

Registered Users (C)
I\'d like to share my experience with you guys, I know how valuable it can be.
I applied for naturalization on July 5th 2001, in California. Got the receipt notice after about one month, and got fingerprinted in October. Shortly after the fingerprinting I received the interview appointment notice for February 25, 2002.
So I had the interview today. I was very tense, everyone in the waiting room was. The interview is very basic, the officer goes over the application, asks questions to make sure you answered the questions correctly. Then you get about 8 civics questions on a piece of paper, that you answer in writing. The questions are very easy, from the 100 set available in the Internet (INS site). You also have to write a sentence in English dictated by the officer.
That\'s basically it, not a big deal and no reasons to be tense at all. At the end I got some forms that tell me I got pre-approved, and I waited another half hour for the final approval and oath ceremony appointment on 3-5-2002.

So, this is my experience, and from what I saw there, other people\'s too. Don\'t worry when you go there, just have proper documentation that you might be asked for (like a divorce decree if yoo are divorced, etc) and answer the questions like in the application.

Robert

No Title

Robert,

Very valuable input from your end, surely everyone is tensed as you say, knowing the INS very well.

Can you please be more specific as to the questions they asked ?

Congratulations to you !

Sanj02

Where is your local INS office?

This is the 1st time I ever heard about pre-approved first and half hour later wait for a final apprval .
Would you please tell us the INS office your were interviewed ?

Thanks for your info!

Answers

The questions were very easy: Who signs bills into law, What\'s the capital of your state, What\'s the name of the ship that brought the pilgrims, Who\'s the commander in chief of the army etc.. Just review the 100 standard questions and you\'ll be fine.

Regarding the pre-approval issue, let me explain: after you get interviewed, the officer will recommend you for approval and another person gives the final approval. That\'s more like a formality, but that\'s how it works. The officer told me that the final review takes place within 30 minutes after the interview, and if I\'m willing to wait, I get the oath appointment after 30 minutes. That was also because the oath date was only after a week from the interview. Probably if the oath date is later than that, you just go home and get the appointment letter by mail. Anyway, the procedure is the same everywhere. My interview was in Oakland.

Robert

Interview call after FP

Dear all,

Any idea how long it takes for Interview call after FP in New York ?

Curious to know,

Sam

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations to you.
This is a very valuable information to all who are waiting for the interview.
Did any officer ask you what you are doing currently. If working where etc.

Did they ask you about selective service registration?

Do you think the status information letter from sss should be prepared even if you needn\'t register? Thanks

Selective Services

I was born after 12-31-1959, so I am in the category that is supposed to register. I had the letter from Selective Services that states that I didn\'t have to register since I wasn\'t in the country before 26, but the officer didn\'t ask me for that letter.
I still think you should have the letter though. You can request it, no big deal. My interview appointment letter listed the letter as one of the documents that I must have with me.

Thanks. What is your advice....?

What is your advice to get the letter if my husband can\'t find I-20 and H-1 information?
Thanks

CITIZENSHIP APPLY

I HAVE QUESTION. I WANT TO FIND OUT WHICH DATE I HAVE TO FOLLOW TO APPLY USA CITIZENSHIP. I HAVE TWO DIFFERENT DATE. FIRST DATE IN MY PASSPORT IN SEPTEMBER 1997 AND THEN I RECEIVED MY GREEN CARD THAT CARD HAS A DECEMBER 1997 DATE. THE CITIZENSHIP RULE IS 5 YEARS OR 4 YEAR 9 MONTH I CAN APPLY. MY QUESTION IS WHICH DATE I FOLLOW PASSPORT OR ACTUAL GREEN CARD DATE.

ISSI MANISH KEDIA

Actually on the back of green card there is the actual date, Its enclosed within >>>>> characters, On the INS web site there is an example on how to find this out.

In my case my passport was stamped on 7th march but the letter was sent on Feb 28th regarding approval of 485. According to the date on mu GC, Feb 28th is the date for GC

: LSS

I am hoping you husband has the passport, His passport should have all the visa stamps including entry and exit stamps.

You can also get letter from school he attended for verification of his student years. The scholl should also have copy of I-20. If a lawyer did his H1B then the lawyer/employer will have acopy also.