• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

my DV2006 Experience

DV2006EU34XX

Registered Users (C)
MY DIVERSITY VISA EXPERINCE

June 2005 Received 1st Diversity Visa Lottery Package form Kentucky C. Center

July 2005 Sent the forms to Kentucky Consular Center

August 25th 2005 Received Notification Letter from Kentucky

August 26th 2005 Sent $375 Check (Separate Diversity Visa Fee) to Department of State,
Philadelphia and received the receipt

November 1st 2005 Sent the Adjustment of Status Forms (I-485) to Chicago
(Without $375 filing fee but with receipt of $375, copies of birth certificate,
Passport, I-94, I-20, Biographic Information form, 2 photos, Medical Exam)

November 22nd 2005 Rejection notice (Wrong Filing Fee saying fee total $395)

November 23rd 2005 Sent the Adjustment of Status Forms (I-485) to Chicago again with $375
Receipt and $20 check

December 15th 2005 Rejection Notice (Wrong Filing Fee saying fee total $395)

December 16th 2005 Sent the Adjustment of Status Forms (I-485) to Chicago with $395 check
(Filing Fee went up from $375 to $395 and learnt $375 fee is separate DV fee
From $395 filing fee)

January 11 2006 Received Receipt Notice

February 8th 2006 Received Fingerprint Notice

March 7th 2006 Fingerprint done

June 14th 2006 Received Interview Notice

July 10th 2006 Had interview, passport stamped ‘Approved Permanent Resident and
Employment Authorized’

July 20th 2006 Received Approval and Welcome Notice

August 1st 2006 Received Permanent Resident Card

In the first package it says they have sent the same package to 110.000 people but only 50.000 will get the diversity visa. Whoever is eligible (at least high school diploma or 2 years of work experience) and follows the instructions correctly. Everybody has a DV number on this program and the lesser the number the higher chance to get it.

My number became current on the 1st of November 2005 and filed my papers. I have lost almost 3 months because of wrong filing fee. I was confused with $375 fee which is separate DV fee from $395 filing fee. My local Immigration Office was not helpful and I had to search everything by myself. I was reading and sharing my experiences in this forum which were so helpful. Some of the DV winners got their Permanent Resident Cards in three months but me got after 9 months. You need to be lucky two times in this DV program. First one is to be the ‘chosen’ one : ) and the second one is to get it. I did not get any lawyer and did everything by myself.

For the interview which is the final step and the hardest part for everybody as far as I have read in the forums. For me it was so easy and it took only five to ten minutes. She did not even check any of my papers. She only took all the copies that I have prepared for the interview and did not even check the original ones. She only looked my diploma and asked me two questions which were if I have a job and if I had been arrested. I told her that I am still looking for job and got arrested because of DUI. I gave her my criminal records which says’ dismissed’ and that was it. She approved, stamped my passport and congratulated me and told me that for that day I was the first one who had all the required papers : )

DV2006,

Sorry, you learnt about some details in a hard way. But it's all behind now. ;)
Enjoy your new status. :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BarbaraLamb said:
Well congratulations, and in which city did you have your interview?

Barbara

I had interview in Hartford/CT
Good luck I hope you before the end of september you all will be done.

Anahit said:
DV2006,

Sorry, you learnt about some details in a hard way. But it's all behind now. ;)
Enjoy your new status. :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you anahit.
Yeah finally i am done. Good luck I wish you guys the best :)

copies of originals...question

i have a question about the copies of originals to be presented at the time of the interview.
i have read every single thread and am aware of what catseyes has posted, but the embassy is telling me to make certified copies of originals...
what do you think?? do copies of my diplomas have to be notarized? or just have to be plain copies?

many thanks for your help,
lola76

lola76 said:
i have a question about the copies of originals to be presented at the time of the interview.
i have read every single thread and am aware of what catseyes has posted, but the embassy is telling me to make certified copies of originals...
what do you think?? do copies of my diplomas have to be notarized? or just have to be plain copies?

lola76
Are you sure they are not talking about translations?
Did they tell you this over the phone or sent you something in writing?

lola76 said:

lola76

I brought my original diploma for my interview. She looked at it then took the copy. The copy was not certified.

thank you for your responses.
i asked the embassy if copies of originals have to be certified, they said yes. but i do not know if they mean notarized or what.
i already know that i have to translate any original document that is not in english except for the police certificate and the medical examination.

thank you again,
lola76

lola76 said:
thank you for your responses.
i asked the embassy if copies of originals have to be certified, they said yes. but i do not know if they mean notarized or what.
i already know that i have to translate any original document that is not in english except for the police certificate and the medical examination.

thank you again,
lola76
Unless the US Embassy in your city follows other rules, these are the rules from http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm#H:
"13. Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate. ...
14. USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications."