My Daughter is a us citizen, can my son and i join her from the uk

A.car

Registered Users (C)
Hello, as my title says, My Daughter is 25 and is a US citizen and she wishes for my son (her half brother) who is 15 and myself to move over there in August 2014. i understand that she can sponsor me to live there but can she also sponsor my son. i do not want to give up my house in the UK and sell all i own just to get there and be told that we cannot stay. thank you in advance.

She can sponsor your son, but the wait for him would be about 12 years because the sibling category is so heavily backlogged.

However, since your son is well under 21, after getting your own green card you can sponsor your son directly much quicker than that -- about 1 or 2 years.

She can sponsor your son, but the wait for him would be about 12 years because the sibling category is so heavily backlogged.

However, since your son is well under 21, after getting your own green card you can sponsor your son directly much quicker than that -- about 1 or 2 years.

Thankyou. so does that mean he can live there with me until he gets his green card?

Thankyou. so does that mean he can live there with me until he gets his green card?

No. You'll have to leave him behind in the UK, or get a reentry permit after obtaining your own green card so you can go back to the UK and wait with him for the 1 or 2 years.

No. You'll have to leave him behind in the UK, or get a reentry permit after obtaining your own green card so you can go back to the UK and wait with him for the 1 or 2 years.

seriously? well i cant go there without him as i am a single parent.

seriously? well i cant go there without him as i am a single parent.

So get a reentry permit as I mentioned above. Once they approve you after a successful consular interview and give you back your passport you'll have 6 months to enter the US.

After arriving in the US, immediately send in your reentry permit application and wait about 3 weeks to complete the fingerprinting. Also initiate your son's green card application by filing I-130 for him.

After fingerprinting, you can return to the UK immediately and wait for the reentry permit to be issued. The permit will allow you to stay outside the US for 2 years without losing your green card. Hopefully by the end of those 2 years your son would have completed his own green card process. If necessary you can get another reentry permit.

What about if i wait until he is 18?.. will that make a difference?
That could cause another problem. When he's under 21 and unmarried he'll be in category F2A, which is for under-21 unmarried children of permanent residents. If you wait until he's 18 to initiate the process, that puts him at risk of turning 21 while waiting in the queue and aging out of F2A into F2B, which would add years to his waiting period.

So get a reentry permit as I mentioned above. Once they approve you after a successful consular interview and give you back your passport you'll have 6 months to enter the US.

After arriving in the US, immediately send in your reentry permit application and wait about 3 weeks to complete the fingerprinting. Also initiate your son's green card application by filing I-130 for him.

After fingerprinting, you can return to the UK immediately and wait for the reentry permit to be issued. The permit will allow you to stay outside the US for 2 years without losing your green card. Hopefully by the end of those 2 years your son would have completed his own green card process. If necessary you can get another reentry permit.

That could cause another problem. When he's under 21 and unmarried he'll be in category F2A, which is for under-21 unmarried children of permanent residents. If you wait until he's 18 to initiate the process, that puts him at risk of turning 21 while waiting in the queue and aging out of F2A into F2B, which would add years to his waiting period.

Thank you, so how long would it take me to get my green card?

Hello, as my title says, My Daughter is 25 and is a US citizen and she wishes for my son (her half brother) who is 15 and myself to move over there in August 2014. i understand that she can sponsor me to live there but can she also sponsor my son. i do not want to give up my house in the UK and sell all i own just to get there and be told that we cannot stay. thank you in advance.

I think Once your I-130 is approved. You and your son will get Greencard together because he is not yet 18 and he can tag along to your petition.

I think Once your I-130 is approved. You and your son will get Greencard together because he is not yet 18 and he can tag along to your petition.

No, because the OP is in the Immediate Relative category (parent of U.S. citizen; it's the only category that parents can be petitioned in anyway), which cannot have derivatives.

False. Immigrating based on being the parent of a US citizen does not allow derivative beneficiaries.

I agree with Jackolantern, you won't be allowed derivative beneficiaries because you are immigrating as a parent of a citize and you aren't a citizen yourself. You need to get your own green card before applying for your son's. This will be the quickest way but will still take some time.