My Citizenship Interview Experience today: San Antonio

rwsh

Registered Users (C)
Appointment time was 10:40 am, start time was actually 11:10, completion time was 12 noon (= 50 minute interview).

Key points:

1. The IO was very professional and I was treated with courtesy throughout.
2. He went through my overseas travel history very extensively going back to 1982 and checked all travel after 1999 against my passports.
3. He kept my most recent reentry permit (as expected).
4. He did ask about traffic tickets (briefly) but as all these were old and “minor”, he did not belabor these.
5. He asked for proof of tax status. Fortunately, I had requested the last three years tax transcripts from the IRS and he asked if he could keep them. I concurred and he seemed pleased; he did not have to photocopy them!!!
6. My English language test was very simple and uneventful.
7. Even tho’ I had only 48 hours advance notice from the USCIS, I went ahead and took the new pilot (2008) history/civics test (142 questions) rather than the old 96-question version.
8. Questions can be seen at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=dcf5e1df53b2f010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD
9. I got the first six correct and the test stopped there (pass rate = 6/10).
10. All questions were very easy ones, none of the few “ringers” (for me anyway) in the list came up.
11. At this point my blood pressure and heart rate returned to normal.
12. He then asked me to sign a naturalization certificate (for the oath ceremony) and gave me a completed form N-652 stating that, subject to final review (by his boss), I will be approved for US citizenship.
13. I will be sent a letter of the oath ceremony to be @ either Trinity University or the Institute of Texan Cultures. The ceremony should be within 60-90 days.
14. Apparently at the oath ceremony, a number of new citizens are invited to give a brief (4-5 minute) talk at the ceremony on their immigration experience and I agreed to do this. He also seemed please by my compliance. Little did he know that I love a captive audience?

Regional office: Mesquite, Texas
Local office: San Antonio, Texas

• 28th July 06: N-400 application mailed
• 7th August 06: Resubmitted with correct check (first check based on incorrect data on USCIS web site)
• 9th August 06: Priority Date and Application Number issued (& check cashed)
• 15th August 06: Fingerprint (FP) notification (6 days from Priority Date; missed FP date due to absence from town
• 31st August 06: Request to reschedule FP
• 5th September 06: Proactive visit to the FP office as a “walk-in” (27 days from Priority Date)
• 20th April 07: Notice to attend interview (227 days from FP; 254 days from Priority Date. Note: file was not removed from USCIS status site)
• 9th May 07: Interview complete. Application approved. (273 days from Priority Date).

Lessons learned:

1. My straightforward situation has meant that the process has not been difficult. No lawyer needed so far. However, I would use a lawyer for complex or ambiguous situations
2. Be prepared for the USCIS to operate with lightening speed. If away from town do not have post office hold mail but have friend/relative receive mail and check all USCIS communications.
3. In emergencies, just showing up at the FP office as a “walk-in” does work.
4. As the Khanna forum has indicated, removal of the case status from the USCIS website is not a reliable indicator that the interview letter is imminent.
5. Its worth getting (free) IRS tax transcripts to take to the interview.

Wow, 50 minutes was a long interview. Was this due to all the passport checking?

Congratulations!

Hi boatbod ..... yes, I think the extra time was mainly due to a really complex travel schedule even tho' it has been considerably simpler during the last 8 years. I was surprised he asked about trips in the 1980s and 1990s.

The bottom line is that I have been living in the same house since 1999 with only half a dozen or so overseas trips, all less than 30 days.

Anyway, it was all very non-threatening and non-confrontational .... he was just seeking lots of clarification.

Congratulations, and thanks for the detailed feedback!
I am intrigued as to why he asked for tax transcripts. Did the interview letter ask you to bring those with you? I was under the impression that these are sought to prove continuous residence, but with your address and overseas trips of short duration, I could not figure out why tax transcripts were asked for.

That said, I have already ordered my tax transcripts, and have cancelled a second overseas visit scheduled after my planned mailing of my application to avoid creating delays.

Hi boatbod ..... yes, I think the extra time was mainly due to a really complex travel schedule even tho' it has been considerably simpler during the last 8 years. I was surprised he asked about trips in the 1980s and 1990s.

The bottom line is that I have been living in the same house since 1999 with only half a dozen or so overseas trips, all less than 30 days.

Anyway, it was all very non-threatening and non-confrontational .... he was just seeking lots of clarification.

Just to clarify on the tax transcripts. What he asked for (my words) was "evidence that I was up to date on tax". I had with me (a) five years of returns and (b) three years of IRS transcripts.

However, the returns may or may not have been acceptable. After all, they are generated by me, not the IRS !!! However, the transcripts are obviously from the IRS and therefore count as "official".

From reading this forum, I think that another lesson learned was "be prepared". Every office and interview is different .... in fact quite dramatically so. I know that some IOs ask for proof of traffic ticket payments, some ask for tax stuff, some scrutinise travel history etc. etc. So, I had a briefcase of items in the hope that I had whatever they wanted.

It is also very clear to me that this forum has been invaluable with generous, high-quality advice. From the "Sticky" and other threads, it is easy to compile a master list of stuff to take. This may well be overkill but it worked for me and made me feel more self-assured.

to be honest i think that this forum and feedback from others who did their interviews before was very helping and if one didn't stumble upon it it's very possible that his processing would've been delayed. I am glad that i've stumbled upon it :D

congrats

hi rwsh,

Congrats.

Why did they ask you about your trips in early 80s and 90s..do they have any effect on continuous residence requirement? I had a trip of 6 months but that was before I got my GC. Should this cause any problems?

Thanks

hi rwsh,

Congrats.

Why did they ask you about your trips in early 80s and 90s..do they have any effect on continuous residence requirement? I had a trip of 6 months but that was before I got my GC. Should this cause any problems?

Thanks

I am wondering for the prior trips also?
How did they know about the prior trips? I believe they ask for only last 5 years.

Lesson: Give the information what they have asked for and not anything more.

Congratulations!

With a 50 minutes interview, you are probably one of the very few that have a straight forward case and yet had such a long interview. E.g., both me and my spouse had less than 7 to 8 minutes interviews. Around 10 minutes appear to be the norm around here.

Rwsh, applause and congratulations!

Yes, My IO took my tax transcripts and kept them too.

So glad you were well prepared for the examination of your travel history, checking Every Date must have been nerve wracking.

Hope your oath is scheduled soon!

hi rwsh,

Congrats.

Thanks

Absolutely no problem. Your residency obligations only kick-in after your GC was issued. I got my GC in 1983 .... hence the high level of interest by by interviewing IO.

Congratulation...Nice job. I love happy ending...If possible, try to stick around and share your experience/knowledge with other/new members...Each person's contribution to this board is vital and helpful...

Good luck in yr life...

Congratulation...If possible, try to stick around and share your experience/knowledge with other/new members...Each person's contribution to this board is vital and helpful......

Thanks for all your encouraging comments. Not there yet .... still have the oath to go !!!!!

In response to JohnnyCash, I have been involved with INS/USCIS since 1982 and have seen the process and the Service go thru' many changes/iterations, each with its own frustrations. Even after I go thru' oath/passport, I plan on sticking around this great site to offer whatever help I can to newcomers. I notice that there are several guys who still offer great advice but who have obvioulsy been thru' the whole process already. Their contributions are sincerely appreciated.

Congratulations rwsh! It's about time your case started to wind down. Hopefully it will be approved soon and you'll be well on your way to being a USC.

Man you disappeared from the Austin threads - what happened?

My turn tomorrow! Oath time, baby! I can't wait....

If it's in me, I'll write up my dissertation on the oath and how my wife and I made out... From what I hear, it's going to be a big one here with over 1000 people or so. Hopefully, I'll sleep tonight :)

pilot test (urgent)

Appointment time was 10:40 am, start time was actually 11:10, completion time was 12 noon (= 50 minute interview).

Key points:

1. The IO was very professional and I was treated with courtesy throughout.
2. He went through my overseas travel history very extensively going back to 1982 and checked all travel after 1999 against my passports.
3. He kept my most recent reentry permit (as expected).
4. He did ask about traffic tickets (briefly) but as all these were old and “minor”, he did not belabor these.
5. He asked for proof of tax status. Fortunately, I had requested the last three years tax transcripts from the IRS and he asked if he could keep them. I concurred and he seemed pleased; he did not have to photocopy them!!!
6. My English language test was very simple and uneventful.
7. Even tho’ I had only 48 hours advance notice from the USCIS, I went ahead and took the new pilot (2008) history/civics test (142 questions) rather than the old 96-question version.
8. Questions can be seen at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=dcf5e1df53b2f010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD
9. I got the first six correct and the test stopped there (pass rate = 6/10).
10. All questions were very easy ones, none of the few “ringers” (for me anyway) in the list came up.
11. At this point my blood pressure and heart rate returned to normal.
12. He then asked me to sign a naturalization certificate (for the oath ceremony) and gave me a completed form N-652 stating that, subject to final review (by his boss), I will be approved for US citizenship.
13. I will be sent a letter of the oath ceremony to be @ either Trinity University or the Institute of Texan Cultures. The ceremony should be within 60-90 days.
14. Apparently at the oath ceremony, a number of new citizens are invited to give a brief (4-5 minute) talk at the ceremony on their immigration experience and I agreed to do this. He also seemed please by my compliance. Little did he know that I love a captive audience?

Regional office: Mesquite, Texas
Local office: San Antonio, Texas

• 28th July 06: N-400 application mailed
• 7th August 06: Resubmitted with correct check (first check based on incorrect data on USCIS web site)
• 9th August 06: Priority Date and Application Number issued (& check cashed)
• 15th August 06: Fingerprint (FP) notification (6 days from Priority Date; missed FP date due to absence from town
• 31st August 06: Request to reschedule FP
• 5th September 06: Proactive visit to the FP office as a “walk-in” (27 days from Priority Date)
• 20th April 07: Notice to attend interview (227 days from FP; 254 days from Priority Date. Note: file was not removed from USCIS status site)
• 9th May 07: Interview complete. Application approved. (273 days from Priority Date).

Lessons learned:

1. My straightforward situation has meant that the process has not been difficult. No lawyer needed so far. However, I would use a lawyer for complex or ambiguous situations
2. Be prepared for the USCIS to operate with lightening speed. If away from town do not have post office hold mail but have friend/relative receive mail and check all USCIS communications.
3. In emergencies, just showing up at the FP office as a “walk-in” does work.
4. As the Khanna forum has indicated, removal of the case status from the USCIS website is not a reliable indicator that the interview letter is imminent.
5. Its worth getting (free) IRS tax transcripts to take to the interview.

I found the following statements on the USCIS website:
"Not all naturalization applicants can take the pilot naturalization test. Only certain applicants interviewing at a few USCIS locations during the pilot period can take it. USCIS will mail letters to applicants who can take the test pilot several weeks before their interview date. Applicants who do not receive such a letter should prepare to take the current naturalization test."

Does this mean that, if nothing is mentioned on my IL letter regarding the pilot test (San Antonio DO) , I should prepare for the old test. Thanks in advance!