• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My Aos Experience - Tips - Guide

BarbaraLamb

Registered Users (C)
MY AOS EXPERIENCE AND A FEW TIPS

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. AOS v. CP
2. CRONOLOGY
3. NOTES ON FILING
4. COLLECTION OF DOCUMENTS
5. ASSEMBLING PACKAGE
6. TRACK YOUR CASE/BIOMETRICS
7. INTERVIEW
8. POST INTERVIEW PROBLEMS
9. RECEIVING GREEN CARD
10. CONTACTS/LINKS

1. AOS v. CP

I chose AOS because my number was very low and I knew it would be current in October. I knew that with CP I would have an instant result sometime in October, with AOS it would take 3-4 months. Even so I decided for AOS. I wouldn’t need to travel, I could do everything from the comfort of my home…or so I thought.
The fact that my number was current so soon didn’t give me enough time to really explore the pros and cons of both processes. I had read some unfortunate AOS stories but, I thought, it wouldn’t happen to me.
A word of advice: If your case is “clean”, i.e. you have never overstayed your visa, don’t have a criminal record, you have all requested documents etc. then Consular Processing is fast and easy. Maybe just expensive if you need to buy a ticket home.
With AOS even if your case is “clean” you can still encounter difficulties for no reason whatsoever! The main headache that a lot of people experience is the infamous background check (security/name check). If you are a single applicant you run the risk of getting stuck in an endless background check that may exceed the 30 Sept. deadline and consequently lose your GC. If you are not the sole applicant but have a spouse and maybe children then that risk is multiplied, since one backgrond check delay will affect the rest of the family.
Another not so rare problem that you may encounter if you do AOS is that since your I-485 application files will literally travel across three States, not to count the KCC files that will also have to reach your local USCIS office, at some point the risk of files getting lost, misplaced, separated from your spouse’s, sent to Embassies around the world by mistake, sent to the wrong USCIS office etc. is not to be underestimated. I’m not making this up, it does happen and you can read all about people’s dramas on any DV forum like this one.
I don’t want to scare you, just to make you realise that if you are in a position to choose CP then go for it, leave AOS as a last resort. If your case number is medium to high then you may run the risk of becoming the victim of massive delay that will require help.
My personal case suffered two types of delay. The first was that I couldn’t be adjudicated at the time of interview (April) because the officer had misplaced my husband’s file and without it they cannot give you a result. Wanting to keep our cases together that meant I couldn’t have a result either! We later discovered that my husband’s security check had been pending for months. In May we started writing letters, contacted the Senator’s office and our Congresswoman’s office. We wrote more letters, we visited our local office on Infopasses numerous times. We contacted the Sen. and Con.’s offices weekly to make sure they were actually doing something. More time went by. Then finally at the very end of August, ten months from the time we filed for AOS, and four months after the interview we were finally adjudicated.

Having said so, although AOS problems that people encounter are far too many and the USCIS are not a very efficient, there are just as many applicants who experience a smooth ride including receiving an approval letter without an interview!!

The choice is yours.

By the way, if you have enough time before your number becomes current it is possible to switch your choice around, AOS instead of CP, CP instead of AOS. Keep an eye on KCC file transit and you’ll be OK.

2. CRONOLOGY

05/09/05 NL Received
05/23/05 Sent forms DS-122 and DS-230 back to KCC NOTE: Some say that if you do AOS you don’t need to send both forms. Some say you do. I did.
Made copies of all forms for my own records.
Summer 05: Collected all documents needed for filing like Birth Certificate, Degree etc. and Police Certificates. See full list below in Package Sample. NOTE: If you do AOS you don’t need to provide Police Certificates, the FBI will do all the work.
09/--/05 Medicals done.
09/22/06 Got married
09/23/06 Notified KCC by email and sent husband’s forms to KCC plus Marriage Certificate and Spouse’s Birth Certificate as requested by KCC. A week later I called KCC for confirmation of receipt of package.
09/23/06 Sent Visa fee for two applicants to Dept. of State. Receipt received five days later.
10/13/05 Following instructions found online on USCIS site and DV forums I sent the full package containing my I-485 application together with my husband’s to CHICAGO LOCKBOX.
10/21/05 Received NOA (Notice of Action) from Missouri Service Center.
02/02/06 Biometrics taken at local USCIS office as walk-ins.
04/25/06 Interview. No Adjudication given because my husband’s file was missing and his background check was pending.
May to August 06 A lot of work tracking progress and pushing for adjudication.
08/25-28/06 Approval letters received
09/05/06 Green Cards received (one with error)

3. NOTES ON FILING

For my AOS I filed I-485 only, some people file for EAD (Employment Authorization Document Form I-765) and Advance Parole (Travel Document Form I-131). If you file for EAD you will be able to work. If you intend to travel abroad while waiting for your interview file for AP. All of these forms should be filed at the same time.

4. COLLECTION OF DOCUMENTS

Your NL should contain a list of documents you are expected to collect and present at your interview, if doing CP, or include in your AOS package.

For AOS do not send original documents. Send COPIES only.

Try to include as many documents as possible so that your package is complete, but if you can’t it’s OK, take copies and originals with you to your interview. This way the officer examining your case will have a more comprehensive picture and won’t need to ask for additional evidence, thus avoiding delays.

For the medicals (Form I-693) find online on USCIS website names and addresses of approved doctors.

See below an example of the package I sent:

PACKAGE SAMPLE​

Cover Letter
Enclosures List
All items as listed in Enclosures list

DV 2006 – Case number: 2006EU0000XXXX

Application to Adjust Status for _______________

Attached:

Copy of Notification Letter from Kentucky Consular Center with Barcode
Copy of Receipt of Payment to Department of State for $___
Money Order to Dept. of Homeland Security (For I-485 and Biometrics) $ ___
2 Photographs in envelope
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
Form G-325a Biographic Information (4 copies)
Form I-693 Medical Results in sealed envelope

Copies of:
1. Birth Certificate
2. Education Documents - Evidence of eligibility as DV winner
3. Letter from ________ regarding translations
4. Bank Statement with attached translation
5. Other financial documents with translation
6. Police Certificates with full translation (Optional)
7. Employment Letter
8. First page of passport
9. Visa page of passport
10. I-94 Evidence of Current Valid Status
11. Form I-134 Affidavit of Support

NOTE: For the translation of documents I went online and found the local University’s Language Department, emailed all listed as translators and asked if they could help with the job. In my case only one replied and translated a few docs. I also asked for a University letter-headed paper in which the translator declared to be qualified etc. and had it notarized at the local bank for free. See what USCIS says about translations below under TIPS ON FILING.
In my State (Wisconsin) banks provide Notary Service for free.

5. ASSEMBLING PACKAGE

Please read the following USCIS link carefully, a lot of info may not apply to you, there is though very useful information on how to file and assemble your AOS package, from what paper clips to use to how to present it.

TIPS ON FILING

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

You are now ready to send your complete AOS Package to the Chicago Lockbox.

WHEN TO SEND IT: The safe way is to have it ready and to send it when your number is current. See http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html to determine when that is. Sending it too soon is HIGH RISK !!!!! Some offices will return it if received before your number is current. Then you’ll have to re-file and pay again. It’s a gamble.
NOTE: The Chicago Lockbox will return your package if the fees sent are not correct. Their job is to simply deal with the money aspect. If the fees are correct they will forward your package to MSC (Missouri Service Center) where your AOS package will be examined and scanned.

You will receive a NOA (Notice of Action) from MSC 1 to 3 weeks after sending it in.

NOTE: Make a copy of everything, duplicate your package exactly as it was sent and keep it for your own records.

6. TRACK YOUR CASE/Biometrics

Keep an eye on your progress, you can check you case online

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

If you don’t receive a Biometrics appointment when you know you should (by comparing with others on DV forums), visit your local USCIS office and ask about it. At times they will let you take your Biometrics as walk-ins.

Same thing with your interview. If your letter does not come when you think it should just get Infopasses and ask about it.

7. INTERVIEW

Take all your original documents and the duplicate package that you made at time of filing with you, and anything else you’ve omitted to send.

Reminder: we filed in October and in April we had our interview.

My interview was about 10 minutes long, to the point. The officer had not looked at my file at all and my husband’s was missing. For that reason he could not adjudicate. It was very disappointing for us. He promised we would hear withing 90 days. That did not happen. My husband’s background check was also delayed.

Very few questions were asked, maily we were sworn in.

8. POST-INTERVIEW PROBLEMS

Time went by and we heard nothing. In May we started working towards resolving the background check delay by:

Writing to the local Congressman’s Office
Writing to the local Senator’s Office
Writing to our local USCIS Office
Visiting our local USCIS Office

We kept in touch with each office weekly.

In August the background check was still pending. We kept making Infopasses and contacting all offices.

Finally at the very end of August we were approved.

9. RECEIVING Green Card

During the first week in September:
We received online updates regarding our approval, and Green Card production.
We received Approval/Welcome letters from Missouri.

Within a week we received our Green Cards BUT…my card contained a data error and I had to file form I-90 and attach the original card plus supporting documents.
Three weeks later I received a NOA regarding GC replacement.

Meanwhile since I needed to travel abroad I visited my local USCIS office and received an I-551 stamp valid for one year.

The estimated time for receiving a replacement card is 90-120 days.

10. CONTACTS/LINKS

Here’s some useful links:

USCIS: www.uscis.gov

Department of State: http://travel.state.gov/index.html

Visa Bulletin: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

Online Status: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

Medicals: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-693.htm

Tips on Filing: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I-485: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

ADVANCE PAROLE FORM I-131: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

EAD FORM I-765: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

AOS GUIDE TO OFFICERS: See attachments below.

FBI Namecheck: See attachments below.

DV Forums: www.immigrationportal.com and http://www.clalar.dk/dv-lottery/

KCC:
Kentucky Consular Center

3505 N Hwy 25-W
Williamsburg, KY 40769
Phone: (606) 526 7500
Fax: (606) 526 7501
E-mail: KCCDV@state.gov
www.travel.state.gov

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot

Dear Barbie

thanks a lot.

your detailed experience will help many in the AOS process.

Ferdous

Hi Barbara,

This will help all of us!!!I appreciate your time investment into this informative thread.

Thank you
Jugnu

Please email me the PDL files

Hi barbara,
Congratulations for getting GC. I had heard that AOS process for DV is longer ad hectic than CP but did not know how it until saw this thread. Can you please email me the PD files?
I really appreciate it.
Thank you,
udi
udayhome@gmail.com

Udi,

I've sent you the PDF files as requested but if you are doing CP they won't be much use to you.

Good luck

Barbara

Barbara, this is a great info resource for everybody, you did absolutely fantastic job. Many thanks from all 2007 and later DV winners!

Some questions

I appreciate your valuable info and advices to all. I and my wife are submitting I-485 on December as our case will be current in that month. I have confusion and several questions to you.

Did you submit two sets of I-485 –one for principal applicant and one for spouse?
Did you assemble AOS packages as two separate packages or in one package (even you filled up two I-485 for you and your spouse)?
If it was in one package so you have submitted only one cover letter written by principal applicant? Or if it was in two separate package so you assembled all the documents and forms in two separate packages, you treated the entire application as separate entity?
Affidavit of Support (I-134)- do we have to submit separate affidavit of support for each person? Did you submit one affidavit of support for each of your family member from sponsor?
So far what I understand packages should be assembling in following ways:
Principal Applicant
Cover letter written by Principal Applicant
Money order including finger print fees for TWO (or should I submit individual check or money order?)
I-485- filled up and signed by principal applicant + two photographs
G325A-principal applicant
Sealed medical report of principal applicant
Affidavit of Support I-134

Spouse
No cover letter (or need another?)
I-485- filled up and signed by Spouse + two photographs
G325A-Spouse
Sealed medical report of Spouse
Affidavit of Support I-134?

Then all documents to proof Eligibility, birth certificate, passport, visa, I-94 etc (as you mentioned)

Please advice me based on your experiences, Thanks a lot.

Mustafa

m1rahim said:
I appreciate your valuable info and advices to all. I and my wife are submitting I-485 on December as our case will be current in that month. I have confusion and several questions to you.

Did you submit two sets of I-485 –one for principal applicant and one for spouse?
Did you assemble AOS packages as two separate packages or in one package (even you filled up two I-485 for you and your spouse)?
If it was in one package so you have submitted only one cover letter written by principal applicant? Or if it was in two separate package so you assembled all the documents and forms in two separate packages, you treated the entire application as separate entity?
Affidavit of Support (I-134)- do we have to submit separate affidavit of support for each person? Did you submit one affidavit of support for each of your family member from sponsor?
So far what I understand packages should be assembling in following ways:
Principal Applicant
Cover letter written by Principal Applicant
Money order including finger print fees for TWO (or should I submit individual check or money order?)
I-485- filled up and signed by principal applicant + two photographs
G325A-principal applicant
Sealed medical report of principal applicant
Affidavit of Support I-134

Spouse
No cover letter (or need another?)
I-485- filled up and signed by Spouse + two photographs
G325A-Spouse
Sealed medical report of Spouse
Affidavit of Support I-134?

Then all documents to proof Eligibility, birth certificate, passport, visa, I-94 etc (as you mentioned)

Please advice me based on your experiences, Thanks a lot.

Mustafa

Hi Mustafa,

1. Two sets of I-485
2. Prepare two packages, I-485 etc. then put them together. Principal's on top.
3. One cover letter by principal, followed by package #1 with enclosures list on top, package #2 with enclosures list on top.
4. Affidavit of Support. You need one each is necessary. We only presented one for my husband since I was covered by job offer.
5. Yes to assembling docs like you said EXCEPT for:
Principal will have: cover letter/enclosures list/copy of NL letter from KCC/copy of DV Fee receipt/from that point on the two packages are the same. This is the way I did it, I'm sure there can be variables.

Unfortunately the USCIS website has a new design, so all the links that I provided and all the places I refer to are GONE!
All my research and saved links have become useless.

I can only go by looking at the copy of my package and from memory.

Good luck

Barbara

When 485 file sent to local office?

Hi Barbara,

Do you know at what stage exactly MSC transfer files to local offices?

Does an interview notice is normally send by MSC?My FP were sent back to USCIS on 10/26/06 and just trying to determine if my case is already transfered to my Local ofifice in Memphis.

I got the other PDF files you sent me and they are great insight.

Thank you

Jugnu

Jugnu786 said:
Hi Barbara,

Do you know at what stage exactly MSC transfer files to local offices?

Does an interview notice is normally send by MSC?My FP were sent back to USCIS on 10/26/06 and just trying to determine if my case is already transfered to my Local ofifice in Memphis.

I got the other PDF files you sent me and they are great insight.

Thank you

Jugnu

Hi Jugnu,

1. Usually MSC transfers the files as soon as ready. What "ready" means no-one really knows. They first have to check every single piece of paper and scan it. Then my guess is they wait until the case number becomes current before sending the file. But this is just a guess. In my case my number was current in October and they sent my package to my local office on 29 November. I know this because the information will be available to you at your local office, and during one of my Infopass appointments they told me.

2. The interview letter will come from your LOCAL office. In my case two months after FP, ten days before the actual interview. Others have had their interview letter sent shortly after FP and up to one month in advance. This depends entirely on the local office.

3. Generally speaking for the 2006 DV the earliest interviews for numbers current Oct/Nov/Dec were given in January. Mine was relatively speaking late (April 25). Remember once the file reaches your office it's in their hands and they will follow whichever rule they wish, each office is different, more or less efficient. Your number was current in October, expect your letter for an interview happening Jan/Feb. Otherwise you will have to start working at it and making enquiries.

Barbara

questions about I134

Dear Barbara
Thanks a lot for all the info. You have clarified for me more things that the USCIS web page. I have 2 other questions.

My husband has been working with an H1B visa for the past two years, I am the DV beneficiary and he is planning to fill up the affidavit of support for me I 134. Did you do that for your husband or a third person did it?

Are there two different fees, the $375 paid to KCC and the application fee for form I 485?
Thanks for your time and interest.
Nahuel

Nahuel said:
Dear Barbara
Thanks a lot for all the info. You have clarified for me more things that the USCIS web page. I have 2 other questions.

My husband has been working with an H1B visa for the past two years, I am the DV beneficiary and he is planning to fill up the affidavit of support for me I 134. Did you do that for your husband or a third person did it?

Are there two different fees, the $375 paid to KCC and the application fee for form I 485?
Thanks for your time and interest.
Nahuel

Hi there,

1. The sponsor can only be a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident (see page one of form).

2. Two separate payments must be made if doing AOS. First you pay the Department of State (not KCC though), the address and pay slip are in your NL. Then you make a copy of the receipt which you will receive within 5-10 days and include it in your I-485 package with AOS additional fee (see form or USCIS website for current fees). The original copy you will be asked to show at the interview. Keep it in a safe place.

Barbara

Barbara

What is the Dv fee? $375 0r $375 + $45

Please help --- thanks - i'm trying t send out my payment - not sure if it's just $375.00

blessed123 said:
Please help --- thanks - i'm trying t send out my payment - not sure if it's just $375.00

Hi Blessed 123,

The DV fee, which is payable to the Department of State, and for which you need to use the slip provided by KCC included in your NL, needs to be sent to the address printed with your slip instructions. There it will also say what the amount is. The correct amount is in your NL.
Once you get the receipt from the Dept. of State (within 5-10 days), make a copy and use the copy as part of your AOS package. Keep the original for your interview.

The Adjustment of Status fee is something else altogether. Read the instructions on your I-485. It'll tell you the exact amount plus the extra for Biometrics.

Good luck

Barbara

Alien number???

what would be the alien number as required in the G 325 a document?

any ideas? I am currently in F1 status, awaiting my OPT EAD card.

secondly, do we have to turn in the affidavit of support with the I 485 application, i have read conflicting views here - customer service was not much help

I see that yur sponsor can only be a permanent resident or citizen, is there a way for us to show that we can support ourselves?

Thanks