Multiple Travel with Greencard

GCfreedom

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year!

Just got back from vacation from my home country. It was truly pleasant considering I was here in the US for 6 years straight.

During my stay there I managed to pick-up a few projects for our office. This may entail having to travel back and forth at company expense for me.

My question will be; are there any forms or notification I need to do for USCIS about future business travels? Will this affect my naturalization stance in the future if I need to go back and forth, let's say 3 times a year?

Your insights are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

GCF

An approved N-470 will preserve continuous residence for naturalization.

About this "3 times a year" ... how long are you talking about? If the trips are less than a total of 6 months per year outside the US, you don't need N-470 or any other special forms to maintain continuous residence for naturalization, as long as you keep maintaining your ties to the US (your house or apt. in the US, US bank accounts, filing taxes as a US resident, etc.).

You can go even longer than that, but a total of under 6 months is quite safe whereas longer than that leaves more to the discretion of the interviewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jackolantern,

How's it been? Trips will take roughly a week or 2. so I'm looking at around 4-6 weeks total per year. Family, home and practically my life is here in the US.

Thanks,

GCF

If I may give my opinion, I dont think it will be a problem if its only 4-6 weeks/year. heck, i used to travel that much outside the USA for pleasure when I was a GC holder.

Also, in the application for citizenship, they make you list down all the dates you have been out of the US, e.g. when you left, when you came back, which country you went to, etc., and 4-6 weeks/yr won't raise an issue.

my interview & oath taking experience

Hi Jackolantern,

How's it been? Trips will take roughly a week or 2. so I'm looking at around 4-6 weeks total per year. Family, home and practically my life is here in the US.

Thanks,

GCF

4-6 weeks total per year is like nothing. Even 4-6 months is OK (as long as you don't do multiple 4-6 months trips close together, like the last 5 months of one year then the first 5 months of the next year).