Moving to another city affect application

vimarket

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,
I currently live in L.A and I'm planning to move to Seatle, WA. Called 800 # and spoke to second level. They said I should call them to change address and then do it online too.

I have two questions:

Will this affect my timeline to get interview? I've been waiting six weeks since fingerprint already.

Also, I read somewhere at some point, that for you to file a petition at a field office, you have to have lived in that area for 90 days, or something of that sort? Am I making this up or is there really a rule like this?

If there is, that means my application wont be transferred to the Seatle office right?

Thanks for the help.

If you file an N-400 before you move, then then N-400 is merely transferred.

If you move before you file an N-400, then you have to build up a new 3 months in the new jurisdiction.

For the move to matter with regard to eligibility it must be out of state and permanent and NOT subject to an exception.

Read INA 316, 334, and 335(f). Also see 8 CFR 316.2 (a)((5), 316.5 and 334.2 (b)

Thanks so much for replying, but what do you mean by, "For the move to matter with regard to eligibility ...."
L.A to Seattle will be out of State right? I'm hoping its permanent. And what does NOT subject to an exception mean?

Your application will be delayed if you move now. For how long? Maybe a month or two, but that's not certain. I'm not sure if they make you wait 90 days after your move to move forward with your case (since the Seattle DO will then get jurisdiction of your case). If time doesn't matter then go for it.

Anyone else has an answer to my question please? Thank you.

Based on reading your first post, it appears that you have already filed N-400 and presumably you did satisfy the three months state/district residency requirement in your current place of residence. In that case, even if you move to another state, you will not need to accumulate the three months of residency in that state for your current application to be approved. However, after the move you will need to notify USCIS of your new address. When that happens, they'll transfer your file to the field office responsible for your new place of residence. The transfer process does cause a delay in processing; the length of the delay is hard to predict and depends on the offices involved, it could be 1-2 months or a bit longer if you are unlucky. Even if you move and notify USCIS of a new address after the interview, that would still delay the oath scheduling because your file will still need to be transferred and you would be scheduled for the oath at the field office covering your new place of residence.