Moving from US to Canada

DanDada2000

Registered Users (C)
Hello all!! I have an immigratino question that I hope some of you can
shed some light on:
Both my wife and I are US Permanent Residents living in Florida. I am
a Canadian citizen and she is a Guyanese citizen. Our goal is to move
to Canada to reunite w/ our families as soon as feasably possible.
Before moving we want to secure citizenship in the United States in
case we should decide to move back at a later time or perhaps for
retirement purposes. I have already applied for US Citizenship and
have been fingerprinted... I am now awaiting my interview/civics exam.
My wife will qualify to apply for US Citizenship in July 2006
(3months before her 5 year anniversary as a greed card holder). My
question is this: Since it takes on average, 1 year to gain US
citizenship, when would it be the best time to apply for a Visa for my
wife to move to Canada. I have learned that this process also takes
approximately 1 year. Should she apply for both US citizenship and
Canadian Visa at the same time so as to speed up the process, or would
it be best to wait until she is sworn in as a US citizen and then
apply for the Canadian Visa. Bear in mind, our ulitimate goal is to
move to Canada as soon as possible to be w/ our families. On top of
all of this, my wife is pregnant, expecting in Feb 2006. I know the
child w/ be both Canadian and US citizen by law so that shouldn´t be a
problem. Please advise.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

DanDada2000 said:
Hello all!! I have an immigratino question that I hope some of you can
shed some light on:
Both my wife and I are US Permanent Residents living in Florida. I am
a Canadian citizen and she is a Guyanese citizen. Our goal is to move
to Canada to reunite w/ our families as soon as feasably possible.
Before moving we want to secure citizenship in the United States in
case we should decide to move back at a later time or perhaps for
retirement purposes. I have already applied for US Citizenship and
have been fingerprinted... I am now awaiting my interview/civics exam.
My wife will qualify to apply for US Citizenship in July 2006
(3months before her 5 year anniversary as a greed card holder). My
question is this: Since it takes on average, 1 year to gain US
citizenship, when would it be the best time to apply for a Visa for my
wife to move to Canada. I have learned that this process also takes
approximately 1 year. Should she apply for both US citizenship and
Canadian Visa at the same time so as to speed up the process, or would
it be best to wait until she is sworn in as a US citizen and then
apply for the Canadian Visa. Bear in mind, our ulitimate goal is to
move to Canada as soon as possible to be w/ our families. On top of
all of this, my wife is pregnant, expecting in Feb 2006. I know the
child w/ be both Canadian and US citizen by law so that shouldn´t be a
problem. Please advise.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that you should wait until she is sworn in as a US citizen, when the baby is born you should also apply for a citizenship card for the child. After she is a citizen, you could move to Canada and submit an in-Canada application, the only drawback is she would be unable to work until she receives Approval in Principle about 6/8 months into the process. If you apply while still in the US, the application should only take about 6 months or less. It is sort of an either or proposition, each has its pros and cons. Take a look at www.cic.gc.ca under sponsorship.

PMM

PMM, thank you for the great advice!!!!! I never even knew this was an option! This might work out perfectly for me! Just one question. When we move to Canada (myself, wife and child), how can we cross the border w/ all of our belongings on a truck? Should i cross on my own and send wife & child over on a "holiday". My thoughts are I may be help up and questioned when crossing the border w/o having the proper papers in order for my wife.

Hi

DanDada2000 said:
PMM, thank you for the great advice!!!!! I never even knew this was an option! This might work out perfectly for me! Just one question. When we move to Canada (myself, wife and child), how can we cross the border w/ all of our belongings on a truck? Should i cross on my own and send wife & child over on a "holiday". My thoughts are I may be help up and questioned when crossing the border w/o having the proper papers in order for my wife.

All together with your goods, be upfront, explain exactly what you are doing, misrepresentation will mean that they won't process the application.

PMM

PMM, this doesn't sound feasable. If the three of us drive up to the border together,all being american citizens; my child and myself being Canadian citizens, and my wife not having any status in Canada, they may deny her entry on the grounds that she has not applied for a visa. According to the CIC website, she would need to file for a VISA before entering Canada if she plans to stay permanently. Am I missing something?

Hi

DanDada2000 said:
PMM, this doesn't sound feasable. If the three of us drive up to the border together,all being american citizens; my child and myself being Canadian citizens, and my wife not having any status in Canada, they may deny her entry on the grounds that she has not applied for a visa. According to the CIC website, she would need to file for a VISA before entering Canada if she plans to stay permanently. Am I missing something?

You and your child as Canadians have the right to enter Canada. You tell Immigration that you are returning home and intend to sponsor your wife in Canada. See; http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/in.html As your wife will be a US citizen at that time she does not need a visa to enter. If you feel uncomfortable about doing that way, you can submit an application now and have it processed through Buffalo. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html You will have to include a statement with the application that once your spouse is issued a pr visa it is your intention to return to Canada. You might as well apply for a 1 year passport for the child when it is born since it will take too long to get a citizenship card. Don;t forget your wife will require a PCC from Guyana and a FBI fingerprint check to submit with the application.

PMM

PMM, thank your for your insightful help so far!! I have a few more questions for you.....

You advised to apply for a passport for my child b/c it takes longer to get a citizenship card. I'm assuming you mean a Canadian passport? That should take less than 3 months as appose to the citizenship card which takes about a year? I already have a Canadian passport of my own. Couldn't I just add the baby to my passport when s/he is born???

W/ regards to applying for a Visa for my wife... the question still remains, "what is the best possible time to do so???" I have come to the understanding that US and Canadian immigration do not communicate w/ one another due to statutes so unless we "volunteer" info there is no risk of either agency knowing our final plans. If we apply for a Visa for my wife at the same time we apply for her US citizenship, more than likely the Canadian Visa will come thru first which would present a serious problem. I believe she has a set amount of time to move to Canada once issued the Visa. Like you said, "You will have to include a statement with the application that once your spouse is issued a pr visa it is your intention to return to Canada" If that is the case, she would not have residency in the US and therefore risk losing the chance for Citizenship here! That is out of the question.

I don't exactly feel comfortable crossing the border w/ wife and child and all my belongings and then explaining that we will be applying in-canada for a visa for my wife b/c the border officials might view that as improper procedure. Sure she can visit w/o a Visa but will they allow her into the country on the grounds that her intention is to stay? If this can be done, I am all for it. But the last thing I want is for my wife to be denied entry into Canada b/c of the circumstances. I can't possibly drive back to Florida w/ wife, child and truck full of our belongings!!!

I just want to be crystal clear in all of the options we have so as I know which is in the best interests of my family and the laws.... please let me know and thanks again!

One more thing.... you stated "Don;t forget your wife will require a PCC from Guyana and a FBI fingerprint check to submit with the application."

What is a PCC?

Is this still required if she becomes a US Citizen? She will be giving up her Guyanese citizenship in order to become a dual citizen of the US & Canada....

Hi

DanDada2000 said:
PMM, thank your for your insightful help so far!! I have a few more questions for you.....

You advised to apply for a passport for my child b/c it takes longer to get a citizenship card. I'm assuming you mean a Canadian passport? That should take less than 3 months as appose to the citizenship card which takes about a year? I already have a Canadian passport of my own. Couldn't I just add the baby to my passport when s/he is born???

1. No, Canada doesn't add children to passports since 2001. see: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/passports/child_docs_e.asp

W/ regards to applying for a Visa for my wife... the question still remains, "what is the best possible time to do so???" I have come to the understanding that US and Canadian immigration do not communicate w/ one another due to statutes so unless we "volunteer" info there is no risk of either agency knowing our final plans.

1. Wrong they do contact each other.

If we apply for a Visa for my wife at the same time we apply for her US citizenship, more than likely the Canadian Visa will come thru first which would present a serious problem. I believe she has a set amount of time to move to Canada once issued the Visa. Like you said, "You will have to include a statement with the application that once your spouse is issued a pr visa it is your intention to return to Canada" If that is the case, she would not have residency in the US and therefore risk losing the chance for Citizenship here! That is out of the question.

1. If you apply in the US for your wife's visa, you have to do the application upfront with medicals and PCCs, your wifes visa will be valid for 1 year after the date of the medical or the expiry of her passport, which ever comes first. suggest that you start reading: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html

I don't exactly feel comfortable crossing the border w/ wife and child and all my belongings and then explaining that we will be applying in-canada for a visa for my wife b/c the border officials might view that as improper procedure. Sure she can visit w/o a Visa but will they allow her into the country on the grounds that her intention is to stay? If this can be done, I am all for it. But the last thing I want is for my wife to be denied entry into Canada b/c of the circumstances. I can't possibly drive back to Florida w/ wife, child and truck full of our belongings!!!

1, If you don't want to take the chance on refusal, then start the application now through Mississaugia and Buffalo.

I just want to be crystal clear in all of the options we have so as I know which is in the best interests of my family and the laws.... please let me know and thanks again!

PMM

Hi

DanDada2000 said:
One more thing.... you stated "Don;t forget your wife will require a PCC from Guyana and a FBI fingerprint check to submit with the application."

What is a PCC?

Is this still required if she becomes a US Citizen? She will be giving up her Guyanese citizenship in order to become a dual citizen of the US & Canada....

1. She will need a PCC (criminal records check) from every country where she has resided for more than 6 months since turning 18. She will need on from Guyana and she will need an FBI fingerprint check. See; http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/buffalo/visas/police_certificate-en.asp#how_us Also see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html for sponsorship.

"Guyana Applications for all locations except New Amsterdam are made through the Georgetown
Clearance Office (phone 592-262-488). Applications from New Amsterdam are sent from New
Amsterdam to Georgetown for processing and returned there for pick-up. Three (3)
photographs, and right thumbprint, taken at the time of application, are required. All
jurisdictions are included in the record." see:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3909e.pdf

PMM

PMM, i'm kind of finding myself in a "catch 22" situation here. You stated: "If you don't want to take the chance on refusal, then start the application now through Mississaugia and Buffalo." also that , " Wrong they do contact each other." (US & Canadian Immigration). If i apply now for my wife's visa:

1. We will not be taking an oath to the US to stay but rather jus to get citizenship and then leave for Cananda. IF the US INS should contact the CIC and find out about a pending Visa application, this could lead to problems

2. If we apply now like you stated, what if the Visa come thru before the US citizenship? We only have that 1 year window to work w/

I guess I'm coming to the realization that the best case scenario is to secure my own citizenship, then get a passport for my child, then apply for my wife's citizenship in July 2006.... 6 months later, I can apply for her Canadian Visa in the hopes that the citizenship will come thru BEFORE the Visa is granted, or at least w/ in that 1 year window. Am I correct in saying this?

Also, is what i said about the baby also true, ie citizenship card takes 1 year, passport only 3 months?