Misspelled name - please post comments

shanku1973

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Recently we submitted our I140/I485/I765/AP with USCIS. We received my wife's AP and EAD. Name is spelled correctly in AP but in EAD it was misspelled by a single letter.

Checked with receipt notice of all other applications. Noticed that my wife's I485 also have misspell in name.

But all our application to USCIS is correct and so it is only USCIS error.

My lawyer didnot notice this mistake when they received the receipt notice.
Now they say, they will give a call to USCIS and ask them to change.
But not sure when/whether it will be done.

Anyone have any experience on this?. The new employer accepted my wife's misspelled EAD card (since we showed passport) and offered a job.

Any comments / experience on procedure to correct the I485/EAD mistake will be very helpful.

Thanks and best regards,
Shan.

I got into the same problem. I received my green card with the misspelled name. I called the customer service and they say that I have to file I90 and submit the original card. Not sure how long it takes to get the card. Any one has any idea on how long it takes to get a new card? Any experiences?

similar situationas yours..about to file the I90..not sure of when we can get corrected card..and hwo to tarvel, if need be.

If you have not seen this post

First of all, CONGRATS on your GC and sorry for an error on your wife's plastic card. But after all, if that's just an administrative error, your permanent resident status won't be affected. It'll take some time to get the replacement card but you will get it if you properly file I-90. I know because the same thing happened to me. In my case, my card was issued with 'F' even though I am a male. Apparently it was an administrative error. So, I knew I had to file I-90 but it was confusing what, how, and where to submit the form. For me, the reps at the National Customer Service Center were not helpful at all. Even the I-90 instruction itself was confusing but after reading through the instruction and research, I decided to submit I-90 form and supporting documents (no fees necessary if it's an error of INS) and the GC with wrong information back to the Service Center where I got my card issued. It was about a month ago and I received an email update today that the new replacement card's already mailed. Anyways, I'm crossing fingers and hope for the best. Below is the excerpt from 'qyang' that helped me to figure out what and where to mail with I-90.

..... To my disappointment, my first green card had a wrong DOB (date of birth). I thought it is very important to correct it because it is inconsistent with all of my other documents. So I have to file an I-90. I can't file through e-file as instruction states. I mailed these documentation to Vermont, which office issued my first green card:
1. I-90 Application Form
2. Copy of passport and visa
3. Copy of birth certificate.
4. Copy of AR-11
5. Copy of Fingerprint Stand Operating Procedure form
6. Permanent Resident Card
And included is a letter explaining the whole thing. After another two weeks, I got a 797 form stating fee is waived, and then after another week a welcome notice, and then another week, my new green card......qyang

OK, so here we go.

1.) In the application type, where should we click non commuter or commuter. What is the difference? -> If you are working or living outside US, you are commuter but most of us who are in the states are non-commuter. If you are married to a US citizen and get only two year expiration on your GC you are a Conditional Permanent Resident.

2.) The date of admission or adjustment of approval? Is it I-485 approval date? -> In your case, it's I-485 approval date.

3.) How should I mention the actual error in the card? Should I attach a sheet paper mentioning the error? Is there any specific format? -> yes, attach a letter explaining what's wrong on the plastic card. No specific format but a simple letter will suffice. On I-90, don't forget to check Reason for application as "(d). My card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS administrative error".

4.) What are the documents need to be sent? ->
I-90 application, of course.
A letter for the reason to apply.
Birth certificate translated and notarized (better have it to prove her correct gender)
A copy of your original I-485 application (a must, get it from your lawyer)
A copy of passport and visa (gender shown)
and other not a mandatory but maybe helpful documents such as a copy of I-765 work permit, driver's license, I-693 medical examination, AR-11 if any, Fingerprint notice, marriage license and such that show her gender correctly.
On the side note, you don't need to send any fee along with your I-90 application because in your case it was INS's error.

5.) Normally how long time it takes to get the new card. -> It depends. Check the service center that issued your GC and you filed I-90 form to. Some Service Center have I-90 file processing time. It took about a month for qyang and hopefully I will get mine back about the same time.

OK, kinda long answer but I hope this helps.

My wife has the same issue with the first name in the EAD and I485. Did you find out what needs to be done to get this issue resolved.