misdemineor criminal charge, how serious is this?

jonny1

Registered Users (C)
One of my freind who is an asylee got arrested by undercover cops and charged with solicitation of prostitution. It was police entrapment.
It's like he thought he was going to meet a girl in hotel room and when he went there, The female undercover cop tricked him to perform sex but later got arrested by few other cops.
He has a court date coming in 2 months and very worried about this as conviction from this could damage his life , green card case which is pending and jail time.

He is looking for a top criminal lawyer here in illinois to get this case dismissed.

But cops have strong evidence against him like his money and cell phone.

probations or supervisions are still guilty plea right?

How will this effect his green card process?
He gave green card fingerprint 2 months ago already and he gave police arrest fingerprint just 3 days ago.
Will the USCIS know about this? will he have to go for another green card fingerprint before the card arrives?

He doesn't have prior criminal beef. He has clean criminal background.
This charge he is facing is a misdemineor.

Ur input and advice?

What I can tell you is that as a general rule claims of entrapment do not fly as a defense in court.

I will also tell you what I always tell immigrants with criminal issues: get an experienced attorney immediately. The law post 1996 is very complicated and relying on information on a web chat board is dangerous.

I think he'll be just fine after the long court process, I went through the same arrest in TN before my GC application and everything went fine.

If it's his only criminal arrest he'll be qualified for the "petty offense exception" if
the punishment did not exceed 6 months.
It depend on state to state they've different law.

Good luck!

jonny1,

If it's your first crime, USCIS may give you a waiver. However, you have to stop soliciting prostitution services. Don't tell us that you immigrate here to have more sex.

i think its so cheap and taky to go after prostitutes,

i cant understand those cheap guys who are so desperate they are willing
to sleep with AIDS carriers in order to be KOOL

i think its so cheap and taky to go after prostitutes,

i cant understand those cheap guys who are so desperate they are willing
to sleep with AIDS carriers in order to be KOOL

John Smith,

Keep your judgements to yourself and don't be an ignorant jerk.

Guys please stop personal attacks.

hello guys, lets talk about the issue to help this dude,
Anybody can make any kind of mistake.Dont change the subject because it won't be fair to the poster of this subject.
Thanks

jhon, i didn't post the topic to have argument I posed to seek suggestions and advice.

Anyway, He has hired a good criminal defense lawyer, costing about $2k.
The lawyer saidthe judge in that courtroom is a good judge but before the court date, he will get the police report to know what they have said about this solicitation of prostitution charge against my buddy.
What I liked about him is that he is fully aware of criminal convictions on immigrants and the consequences of convictions.
so he said we should fight for dismissal only and not for any plea bargains as any plea bargains like fines or supervision means conviction of the misdemineor charge which will be bad for his green card process.
He said we will mostly likely be going for a trial after admitting not guilty at the first court date.

After if successful for dismissal of the case, we can expunge the charge but there will be a separate fee he said.
Anyway, this is going to be a fight between my lawyer and police and states attorneys as they may have recorded the conversations and they have his money and cell phone as evidence against him.

This is a police entrapment so he is not to be blamed completely criminally on this thing.

GC application pending arested and cited for solicitation of prostitution

Hi Guys,
I have the same case
I was arrested and cited for solicitation of prostitution in an undercover operation by law enforcement.
I have a i485 application pending (I am dependent) I have fingerprinting coming up next week
my H1b Visa is valid till 2009 Dec.
What are the repurcussions.Can I be deported(I have a wife and kid-I told my wife)
I am consulting a criminal attorney
Anybody have any previous expriences and how they survived out of this.
I am really scared and i swear to god would never do this again,
my friend instigated me.
please help