Misdemeanor during naturalization

Immortalray

Hello,

This is my first time posting here so bare with me. I am a 20 years old. I moved here from Finland when I was 13 in 2008. That is over seven years here. Never had a criminal record prior or after moving here. I am now a college sophomore in Ohio university. I recently got cited for marijuana paraphernalia and possession underage alcohol. No arrests, and fully cooperated with the police, even got a good word from them. The alcohol was found in my trunk unopened and I am from Pennsylvania where it is legal to transport unopened beverages at the age of 18, but I was still hit by the law. As for the marijuana the paraphernalia was simply an empty red bull can. The prosecutor for my case is willing to drop all of my charges if I complete the diversion program. All of this aside my biggest concern is the fact that I'm literally right in the middle of naturalization. I applied in July and got my fingerprints taken in late August and I am currently waiting for my interview. The main reason I'm doing it is so I can finally go back home to Finland to see my family and avoid the military service since dual citizenship is the only way out of it and I don't want to be seized for something so idiotic.

Anyway, the point is knowing I can get out of these charges and with 7 years of good moral character and cooperation with the police, the court and the school, will I be able to become a citizen? Also, should I inform someone during the interview or prior or after? I would really appreciate a positive answer but the truth is the truth I suppose.

Thank you for your time.

First, you should get a lawyer. Sounds like you can get those charges dismissed. As far as the interview, I would postpone it, because either way the I/O is going to place everything on hold to see the outcome of the case. Make sure that you find a criminal attorney specialized in immigration OR an immigration attorney specialized in criminal cases. You need to get those charges dismissed so you can show moral character. Otherwise, the clock resets itself for another 5 years after you are done with this.

If the accused satisfactorily completes the diversion program, the prosecuting attorney shall recommend to the trial court that the charges against the accused be dismissed, and the court, upon the recommendation of the prosecuting attorney, shall dismiss the charges. If the accused chooses not to enter the prosecuting attorney's diversion program, or if the accused violates the conditions of the agreement pursuant to which the accused has been released, the accused may be brought to trial upon the charges in the manner provided by law, and the waiver executed pursuant to division (B)(1) of this section shall be void on the date the accused is removed from the program for the violation.