Misc. OCI Application Questions

US citizen studying in India

Greetings!

My friend's children were born in USA carrying US Passport and came to India 10 years ago and now studying in Indian University. They have lived in India all through their school and college years and have not gone to USA for the past decade. Currently they are holding valid US Passports.

Question:

1. After passing the graduate degree in India, can they work in India by availing OCI? If so, what is the procedure to be followed? Can they apply for OCI while continuing to stay in India? (Note: Both the parents are Indian Citizenship and holding Indian Passports)

Thanks

Greetings!

My friend's children were born in USA carrying US Passport and came to India 10 years ago and now studying in Indian University. They have lived in India all through their school and college years and have not gone to USA for the past decade. Currently they are holding valid US Passports.

Question:

1. After passing the graduate degree in India, can they work in India by availing OCI? If so, what is the procedure to be followed? Can they apply for OCI while continuing to stay in India? (Note: Both the parents are Indian Citizenship and holding Indian Passports)

Thanks

If the children are minor, they are only eligible for PIO, but not for OCI. If they are adult, I think they can apply for OCI on their own. They can do this while continuing to stay in India. http://www.mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553

Greetings!

Question:

Thanks

Yes, OCI allows them to work and study. They can apply for OCI since both the parents are Indian citizens (even holding Indian passports). They can apply in either India or aboard. If they have visas to stay in India, they can apply for OCI in India. If not, they can apply from outside India.

Note: OCI doesn't allow you to work in only government sectors and doesn't allow you to vote for Congress or Prime Minister (except Mayor or governor). OCI doesn't allow you to run in the political office except mayor or governor.

Applying for OCI as Individual or Family Group

I appreciate if someone can share their experience in OCI application. What is the advantage or benefits for applying OCI card as individual or a family group.

If we apply as family group, will the OCI process be faster or not.

If we apply as individual, does each application takes longer time even if we submit at the same time.

I do not think it will be any faster or slower but if entire family is eligible to apply for OCI, it makes sense to send in all applications as family. If not anything, its easier, one cashier check for OCI fee and one for mailing fee.

They can apply for OCI since both the parents are Indian citizens (even holding Indian passports).

Minor children are only eligible for OCI if one of the parents is a non-Indian/US citizen. Otherwise one will have to go with a PIO. I know that one can apply for OCI from India but am not sure about PIO. My guess is you should be able to apply from anywhere.

But as USGC has pointed out since they are most likely adults you can go with either option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate if someone can share their experience in OCI application. What is the advantage or benefits for applying OCI card as individual or a family group.

If we apply as family group, will the OCI process be faster or not.

If we apply as individual, does each application takes longer time even if we submit at the same time.

I am not aware of any faster processing with one approach versus the other but it will save you some money in terms of shipping costs and also a common mailing fee to get your passports back. It will also ensure the OCI approval is received at the same time and you can mail your US passports for OCI VISA stamping also together.

OCI for 6 month old and 2yr old

Hi gurus
I have a 3yr old and 6 mo old born US citiz. They both have PIO.
I am applying for my wife's and my OCI- we both have US Citizenship. I was thinking of doing a family OCI.
I was thinking is there a need to get minor's (that too such young children) OCIs. Is there any downside to getting their OCIs other than spending those extra $$
One thing that came to my mind as downside is their passports are valid only for 5yrs. Their photo taken now may be unrecognisable in a few years once they grow up. Will that cause problems on the lifetime OCI?

Has anybody taken OCI for babies and toddlers? Please help

Hi gurus
I have a 3yr old and 6 mo old born US citiz. They both have PIO.
I am applying for my wife's and my OCI- we both have US Citizenship. I was thinking of doing a family OCI.
I was thinking is there a need to get minor's (that too such young children) OCIs. Is there any downside to getting their OCIs other than spending those extra $$
One thing that came to my mind as downside is their passports are valid only for 5yrs. Their photo taken now may be unrecognisable in a few years once they grow up. Will that cause problems on the lifetime OCI?

Has anybody taken OCI for babies and toddlers? Please help

I have not taken OCI for babies and toddlers. However, a few comments.

Your kids will have 5-year passports for another decade or more. By the time they are 20, they will have 4 passports.

While OCI is life-long, it behaves like a visa - you have a sticker/stamp in your passport. If you travel with a new passport, you either need to transfer the sticker to the new passport, or carry both the passports. I am not sure what will happen when they are on their 3rd or 4th passport, but I suspect you will need to carry multiple.

Kids photos change, and hence the new passport. I do not think their OCI booklet will change - but they might be able to put the new picture on the new OCI visa.

If they kids already have PIO, there is no urgency for you to take the OCI unless you intend to be in India long term ( to avoid FRRO registration ). What you could do is to take OCI as soon as they get their next passport - that way at least you save some time and money.

san..20 makes sense. why bother with the OCI at this stage?
There is plenty of time to get this done after they reach a certain age or into their next passport. Perhaps, dula citizenship will be made official(from what the PM Singh says) in the near future.

I agree! Not many advantages of taking an OCI for a minor especially if they already have a PIO. I too only applied for myself and wife and not for my 5 year old who has a PIO. And FRRO registration is not required for someone 18 and younger even if you do decide to move to India.

Reprinting the filled-up OCI application

I completed part-A of the OCI application online & "saved" it. I got the "reference" numbers, and a print-dialog popped up. I cancelled the print-dialog so that I can review the application before I can print it. But, immediately the page got redirected to a different page :(

Is there a way to re-print the completed application? If not, should I complete part-A again (would this be a problem, since I already have got the reference numbers)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two copies of part-B per applicant OR 2 copies total for a family??

I'm preparing a family-group OCI application (SFO consulate). Should I be sending two copies of part-B per applicant or two-copies for the entire family? The SFO consulate's website site seems to indicate that it's 2 copies per applicant, but the part-B of the application seems to say that it's 2 copies for the family.

If it's 2 copies per applicant -- should I provide info of the spouse & the children in everyone's copies of part-B?

I'm preparing a family-group OCI application (SFO consulate). Should I be sending two copies of part-B per applicant or two-copies for the entire family? The SFO consulate's website site seems to indicate that it's 2 copies per applicant, but the part-B of the application seems to say that it's 2 copies for the family.

If it's 2 copies per applicant -- should I provide info of the spouse & the children in everyone's copies of part-B?

I sent in 2 copies of part B for the whole family to MHA and it was accepted. Other postings (from other members) have also indicated just 2 copies. SFO website seems to be ambiguous - see the difference in verbiage between "what is required" and "guidance for completing online application".

I completed part-A of the OCI application online & "saved" it. I got the "reference" numbers, and a print-dialog popped up. I cancelled the print-dialog so that I can review the application before I can print it. But, immediately the page got redirected to a different page :(

Is there a way to re-print the completed application? If not, should I complete part-A again (would this be a problem, since I already have got the reference numbers)?

Thanks in advance.

You can reprint your application using the reference number you got after filling out the form.

Correct OCI Fee for PIO Card Holders

I like to confirm the exact fee for OCI for PIO card holders.

Consulate General of India San Francisco (FAQ page shows: $145)
http://www.cgisf.org/

Part B of the OCI application under section 7 (Enclosures for each applicant) shows $25.

I appreciate if any one can respond ASAP.