Minor, US Passport expired in India. Parents are in USA.

Vitt_vin

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My son is 16 months Old in India. Got a US Passport but expired.
I hope we can apply for Passport at US Embassy in Hyderabad but here is the question. Parents are in USA.

1.Do we have to go to India for renewing my son's US passport, i mean physically present in the US Embassy in Hyderabad or guardian can take my son to US embassy and get the renewal done.
2.What all documents needed in general and also in case we(parents) don't have to go to US embassy in Hyderabad for Passport Renewal.

Thanks,
Kiran

Thanks for your quick response.

FYI: My son has traveled to India on expired passport, fortunately nobody noticed including us and TSA staff. Its kind of surprising but fact.

Got a question now.

Can i apply for renewal here locally in USA thru USPS and i should get it 2 or 3 weeks.
After i get the passport renewal, can i send the passport back to India.
Let me know if see any problem with that.

Child has to make a personal appearance (with parents or legal guardians) for getting a passport. You cannot apply for it yourself here in the US without the child being present here with you.

Thanks for your quick response. Sorry to bother you but hope you remember its a renewal not applying passport for the first time. I heard for renewal you don't need to take minor, i'm not sure if that's true or false but that's what i heard.

So are you saying "Its mandatory to take minor with you for applying passport as well as passport renewals". Let me know.

Got a question.
Documents required.
Here is item#2 "Proof of Identity" for documents required.
In case of minor(under 16), doesn't have driver's license.
All we have is Birth certificate from county and expired passport.
What should we get as "Proof of Identity".

Item#2 on Proof of Identity:
You may submit items such as the following containing your signature AND a photograph that is a good likeness of you: previous or current U.S. passport book; previous or current U.S. passport card; driver's license (not temporary or learner's license); Certificate of Naturalization; Certificate of Citizenship; military identification; or federal, state, or municipal government employee identification card. Temporary or altered documents are not acceptable. You must establish your identity to the satisfaction of the acceptance agent and Passport Services. We may ask you to provide additional evidence to establish your identity. If you have changed your name, please see travel.state.gov for instructions. IF YOU CANNOT PROVIDE DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE OF IDENTITY as stated above, you must appear with an IDENTIFYING WITNESS who is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen U.S. national, or permanent resident alien who has known you for at least 2 years. Your witness must prove his or her identity and complete and sign an Affidavit of Identifying Witness (Form DS-71) before the acceptance agent. You must also submit some identification of your own.

Thanks,
Kiran.

All passport applicants under the age of 16 have to make a personal appearance for applying (first time OR renewal) for a passport. That is the requirement.
Expired passport and an original birth certificate will be required to establish identity and relationship to parents.

Just go to the US embassy and apply a passport renewal or download the form and follow the procedure in the website at immigrationdirect.com