MBBS grad from India. What steps to take to start working in the US?

Hello friends,

What steps does a fresh MBBS grad from India need to take to start practice here (assuming she is already here) ?

1. Does she have to take any exams?
2. Can she start doing her residency directly after coming here? Or does she have to go to school some more?
3. How many years does she have to study (or intern) before she can start working?

Please let me know. It will be very helpful to me. Thanks.

No Title

I have the same question. I believe you have to pass the USMLE test first then find residency. Let me know if you get any more information on this.

No Title

that is right. The steps involved are

1) First pass the USMLE exams ( 2 of them)
2) Pass the CSA exam ( this is like a viva exam held in Phili only)
3) Get the certification from ECFMG( they check if you have passed the two USMLE exams and CSA exam, validate the MBBS degree in India)
4) Then fight for a residency seat in US hospitals( depends on your visa status, scores in your two USMLE exams and discrimination..bla bla..)

It is a long fight, and one goes throught many ups and downs.

How do I know all this .. I have been throught it with my wife. Ofcourse the result is sweet and happy to see her doing what she always wanetd to be .. rather than taking a alternative career( like Physician Assistant, Nurse, Computer Programmer)

If you guys need more help .. take a look at these sites. There are some discussion clubs on yahoo ...

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/imgnet.

If you have more questions ..let me know your email address and I shall contact you.

No Title

Yes the process is long. I have been tgrough it myself. There are two hurdles. One has get ECFMG ceritification and then get a residency spot. It needs a lot of hard work and perserverence and things will work out. good luck.

No Title

I could not link to the foreignmd.com ,

could you give me some more detailed and correct info? THANKS.

No Title

can british citizen graduated from medical school in pakistan who is on the waiver visa apply for residency in united states

No Title

No, a homeopath cannot give USMLE as BHMS is not a recognised medical degree by the ECFMG. only an MBBS degree holder from India can pursue residency here.

No Title

Thanks for replying. But then what are the options for them? can they work here? Or will they have to switch to another career like IT?

No Title

You can take a look at the discussion forum located at URL:
   http://www.grad.ttuhsc.edu/forums/success/messages/223.html
   and read the messages posted.

You can also take a glance at URL:
   www.deja.com
   and search for : "Jobs for Homeopathic Physician from India"
   and click at : misc.health.alternative - Posted on 11 Feb 2001 by Drmsk@yahoo.com.

Hopefully you may get all your required answers.
   If you come across any new ways out for getting jobs for Homeopaths please let me know.

No Title

How about a Dentist (with both BDS and MDS) from India? Can s/he go through USMLE exams, CSA and Residency to work in the U.S? Or, s/he can\'t do any of these as s/he didn\'t do MBBS in India??

Thank you.

usmle for mbbs grduates

usmle is a medical licensing exam to practice medicine in US.people from discipline`s outside medicine like homeopathy and dentistry are not eligible to write for usmle.

USMLEs

If you're not US resident, i.e. Green Card or citizen. Consider doing Step 3 and try residency on H1B. There is a lot written in this forum about benefits of H1B vs J1. H1B is preferred over J1. Step 3 has to be done eventually to get State license to practice.

bhola ram said:
that is right. The steps involved are

1) First pass the USMLE exams ( 2 of them)
2) Pass the CSA exam ( this is like a viva exam held in Phili only)
3) Get the certification from ECFMG( they check if you have passed the two USMLE exams and CSA exam, validate the MBBS degree in India)
4) Then fight for a residency seat in US hospitals( depends on your visa status, scores in your two USMLE exams and discrimination..bla bla..)

It is a long fight, and one goes throught many ups and downs.

How do I know all this .. I have been throught it with my wife. Ofcourse the result is sweet and happy to see her doing what she always wanetd to be .. rather than taking a alternative career( like Physician Assistant, Nurse, Computer Programmer)

If you guys need more help .. take a look at these sites. There are some discussion clubs on yahoo ...

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/imgnet.

If you have more questions ..let me know your email address and I shall contact you.