Marrying a citizen on an H1B but losing it before the ceremony - how can I stay in status?

tangodancer

Registered Users (C)
I am currently on an H1B and I am marrying a US Citizen in October. My company is offering me a 20 month salary severance package which would make a great way to start our marriage. However, if I take it I have to leave before mid-July which would leave me out of status until October.

Since I wouldn\'t need to work during the break, what would be my best bet for remaining legal? File a fiancee visa? Is a tourist visa likely to be granted?

Thanks

Paul

No Title

Why are you waiting until October? If you future spouse is an American citizen, get married now (at the court house) and have formal wedding ceremony in October for family and friends.
This way you will have your work permit pretty soon after you apply for AOS and can work for anyone you like...

Good idea...

Thats a good idea, though I guess I lean against it as I don\'t want it to look to my fiancee (or the INS?) that the marriage is more about a green card than the relationship. But she\'s suggested it in the past so it might be the best idea.

Thanks for the suggestion

Paul

No Title

You wrote "your fiance" and that is the key. You are already engaged and you are just moving the wedding date. It is different from “would you marry me for a green card?" situation.
Do not worry about INS