Married, applying for citizenship issue

John Bunag

I just sent my n400 last april 13, I got married last February 25 and my wife only has a tourist visa and its already expire. Will there be any issues when I get my interview? Is it better to file i-130 now for her ? I need some advice on whats the better step to do and I cant afford a lawyer right now, Thanks in advance!

There's no point in filing I-130 for her now under the category of spouse of permanent resident which has a wait for visa numbers, if you are close to naturalization. Once you are a citizen, you can file I-130 and I-485 for her concurrently. Filing I-130 by itself doesn't give any benefit; it's the I-485 that protects her from deportation; so there's no point in filing I-130 earlier than I-485 in your case.

I see, im still doing some research. Kinda worried about the situation. So the best way to protect her is to file i-485?

Yes, file I-130 and I-485 after you become a citizen.

As to your naturalization interview, I am not sure whether it will come up. You did put your wife's information and status on your N-400 application in the place that asks for it, right?