• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Marriage before DV interview, please help!

Bentlebbee is right ...........you need to see the bright side and dark side .........been here in state we saw so many reject visas
and ofcourse you don't want to lost your DV/visa.if you cann't prove the marriage to them .........are you really in love to risk you DV??
as you said you need lot of thinking.............

Good luck

sure take bentlebee's advice, I don't as its not fact-based somethings even stupid and wrong (and I am not the only one saying this--read the forum you guys), but full of opinions which is fine if that's what you're looking for.

As for marriage in the weeks before the interview, I did that and succeeded in getting our visas, so questions relating that I can answer to you with confidence. Doing things afterwards, I don't know and haven't tried lol, and as I haven't seen anyone on the forum from their own successful!!! experience (yet?!), I would not go with anything anyone says just like that...but that's all up to you of course

Wishing you all the best!

Bentlebbee is right ...........you need to see the bright side and dark side .........been here in state we saw so many reject visas
and ofcourse you don't want to lost your DV/visa.if you cann't prove the marriage to them .........are you really in love to risk you DV??
as you said you need lot of thinking.............

Good luck

The positive thing is if the OP succeeds, the sad thing is if he fails and will be rejected because the Consulate doesn't trust his story since he doesn't have much proof as he is stating since it is kind of an arranged marriage, which can be totally legal in some countries but also done by some just to get the GC...

Every case is different and to be causious is all one can do....it would be sad if after the marriage something happens or if the GC isn't approved....the marriage needs to be strong to handle such a thing.

I understand the OP hard decision and it is him's to be made and his to live with afterwards....Good Luck with the decision.:)

That will be a risky move to make at this time. I have a relative who applied for the d.v as single and got married before he had his first response from kcc. He was not granted a visa because the consular office in my country thought it was suspicious and fraudulent. Your wife could come after you. Don't risk everything now.

That will be a risky move to make at this time. I have a relative who applied for the d.v as single and got married before he had his first response from kcc. He was not granted a visa because the consular office in my country thought it was suspicious and fraudulent. Your wife could come after you. Don't risk everything now.

what country was your relative from? what was their interview experience? how long had they been with their spouse before marriage, and was it an 'arranged' type marriage? were they asked for specific types of proof of their relationship in the interview?
thanks for your info sarionabest

My husband and I had our successful CP interview last week.

My husband is the primary DV2010 applicant and started out his application as SINGLE status. We didn't get married until after he received his 2nd NL but before the scheduled interview date. Here's what we did to update our situation with KCC and local embassy:

1. Sent an email to KCC informing change of status. Attached my DC230 and copy of marriage certificate with the email.
2. KCC replied and instructed us to direct all questions to our local embassy. KCC no longer has my husband's file, it has been forwarded to local embassy.
3. Mailed in my DS230 and copy of marriage certificate to local embassy along with a cover letter explaining change of status.
4. A few days later, called in to check if local embassy has received our paperwork. Embassy officer confirmed paperwork on file and updated my husband's case. Spouse will be included in application. While on the phone, I also requested to reschedule our interview date, since I need to get ready all required documents especially police certificates. I was told to put that request in writing or in email, and only to contact the embassy again when all documents are ready to set up interview date.
5. Two months later, sent an email to the embassy stating all documents are ready and would like to set up an interview date. The next day Embassy replied and set us up for a date.

We didn't stress too much, because we have known each other for a long time, and been living together for the past 3 years. We brought all relevant documents including old photos, letters, bills, insurance papers (stating each other as beneficiaries) to our interview. During the interview, the nice lady interviewer asked 3 questions about our marriage/relationship:
1. When did you meet your wife?
2. When did you get married?
3. Did you guys have a small or big wedding ceremony?

She did not ask to see any paper proof/evidence in relation to our marriage/relationship.

During the process of changing status, we are glad to have read and use this extremely useful post as our guide. It contains post on "Special case : getting married either after DV entry submission or after NL"

forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?215048

Good luck to all!!!

I think the marriage before the NL2/interview approach should NOT be such a big hassel for applicants.

It should NOT be a 'red flag raiser' in the eyes of a learned CO who knows the perils of the US GC system.

'Cos if one gets a GC whilst single and then LATER you want to bring a spouse from home country (or any other than USA) ..... you will be on for a big surprise if you do not know the 'perils' of the US GC system!!
Basically, it is next to impossible to get a visa until the GC holder becomes a citizen after 5 years. (unless the spouse can individually get his/her own non-immigrant visa like H1b that allow immigrant intent, but not F or B visas)
Currently NVC (national visa center) is known to have about 1.5 million such family based pending GC applications, nearly 350,000 from Indians !!

Visa officers are (in my opinion) well trained on interview methods to ascertain legitimacy of a marriage at GC or other visa interviews.
So people (especially DV winners) who legitimately realized their plight of going alone and who legitimately get married before an interview/NL2 should not worry in including a spouse in their paperwork with KCC or the embassy. (may be write them an affidavit saying you only got the information later that you can not bring a spouse to US within at least 5 years if you get the GC alone now)

JMO, and Good Luck !!

NuvF, u re absolutely correct. I wish u guys allthe best as couples going for interview at any point in time, be it before or after recieving notificaton letter of winning DV lottery.
from my on little experience as i went thru the admin processing as well.thank God i was successful. Especially here in nigeria once you get married after wining the visa lottery as single, except u have a child btw u and ur wife before ur interview . One is a candidate of fraud until proving other wise and you have 98% chance of ur case put into administrative processing(
As a matter of fact the c.o will tell thats the protocol here,no matter how complete ur docs are), 0.5% chance of been interview successful thesame day, and 1.5% chance of instant denial.
To conclude this i think a successful interview is based on the U.S embassy consular and the consular officer.
good luck to everyone.

...to God be the glory.

@citrine

Dear citrine and everybody who's been watching this thread:

So far good news: I already decided to include with my wife to the interview and last week we got our marriage certifcate, as it does not make sense to me to go to the US w/o her :)

Citrine: Your post is very encouraging news to me! All of your communication with the consulte is just identical to what I experienced recently. They gave exactly same directions to me too. Would you please let me know how long did they postpone your interview when you requested the postponement? Were those 3 questions only ones that you two were asked? were you two were asked questions in separate rooms?

Please, please share any other experiences you and your hubby may remember from the day of interview!
thanks!

I suggest you, especially your wife, get ready all the required documents ASAP. Once that's done, send an email to your local consular officer stating all documents are ready and would like to schedule for an interview date. Consular officer will reply with a date, make sure you reply back to confirm. Once confirmed, we received another email from CO instructing us to report to the embassy on the confirmed date and to bring along the original 2NL, crossed out the original interview date and manually write in the new scheduled date. You need to present this 2NL letter ("appointment letter") to enter into the embassy.

The faster you get ready all required documents, the faster you're able to re-schedule your interview date. It also depends on how busy your local embassy is. In our case, original interview date was in December 2009. Once we both ready in mid-February, we requested for interview date and was given a date in mid-March.

Our CO interviewed us together, not separately. Beside the 3 questions about our marriage, the CO asked several other questions relating to my husband's education qualification and his current job. I have to say most of the questions were directed to the principal applicant. Our interview lasted about 15 minutes.

Like I mentioned in my early post, make sure you are able to explain how you met your wife, how long you've known her, when did you two get married, how was the ceremony conducted... Prep yourself with all possible questions and have honest answers ready.

thanks for the reply citrine
I agree with your suggestions... Yes, once the docs are ready we will send an email to request new appointment for the visa interview. You said you crossed the old appontment date and wrote the new one manually. Just out of curiosity: do we also need to do this or should the email correspondence with the CO suffice?
the thing is that our wedding ceremony is scheduled to the first week of May, so we are hoping to attend the interview shortly after the wedding... what do you think?
thanks!

So... My husband won the lottey for 2010, sent forms back in May 2009, then in February 2010 we got married. So we sent updated DS-230 forms and copy of marriage certificate to KCC on 26 Feb 2010. (by registered post, not Fed-Ex..)

Just received the 2nd NL, dated 11 March 2010. It only lists my husband on the 'notice to visa applicants' and I suspect the letter was posted before KCC received or processed our updated forms.

Have emailed the embassy where we will have CP interview in May asking if KCC have forwarded the updated docs and marriage cert and if both my husband and I can attend the scheduled interview..

waiting for their response.. hopefully KCC would forward any additional information to the embassy?

Am I right in thinking that if KCC haven't forwarded the documents to the embassy, we can just re-send them, and either both attend the same interview or I may be given a different interview date, or does KCC have to process any additional info??

thanks..

So... My husband won the lottey for 2010, sent forms back in May 2009, then in February 2010 we got married. So we sent updated DS-230 forms and copy of marriage certificate to KCC on 26 Feb 2010. (by registered post, not Fed-Ex..)

Just received the 2nd NL, dated 11 March 2010. It only lists my husband on the 'notice to visa applicants' and I suspect the letter was posted before KCC received or processed our updated forms.

Have emailed the embassy where we will have CP interview in May asking if KCC have forwarded the updated docs and marriage cert and if both my husband and I can attend the scheduled interview..

waiting for their response.. hopefully KCC would forward any additional information to the embassy?

Am I right in thinking that if KCC haven't forwarded the documents to the embassy, we can just re-send them, and either both attend the same interview or I may be given a different interview date, or does KCC have to process any additional info??

thanks..

i am sure ur local u.s embassy will reply u soon.but my advice is to send the required docs again to the embassy as ur file as already been sent to there.

The consulate replied and advised that :
'Your wife’s DS-230’s were received and are in file. KCC did not include your wife in your application but we have done so today. She is now included to accompany you to your appointment.'

So there we go.. everything should be ok now :)

@citrine

Dear citrine and everybody who's been watching this thread:

So far good news: I already decided to include with my wife to the interview and last week we got our marriage certifcate, as it does not make sense to me to go to the US w/o her :)

Citrine: Your post is very encouraging news to me! All of your communication with the consulte is just identical to what I experienced recently. They gave exactly same directions to me too. Would you please let me know how long did they postpone your interview when you requested the postponement? Were those 3 questions only ones that you two were asked? were you two were asked questions in separate rooms?

Please, please share any other experiences you and your hubby may remember from the day of interview!
thanks!

He its really very nice to know that you are now going with you wife.. It really would be a great experince for both of you... All the best!

He its really very nice to know that you are now going with you wife.. It really would be a great experince for both of you... All the best!

good luck then to u guys. Its good to know the inclusion has been done by the embassy. U both re good to go now.
Pls ensure u prepare very well n get all docs ready before ur interview day.marriage cert, wedding pics , courtship pics, if any child btw u guys take pics of ur children which u re in,all ur academic certificate birth cert, and A.O.S.
goodluck

to God be the glory

great news!
I wish you much luck and will send my energies toward you and your wife!

You are genuine in your wanting to be with her, and that's what counts. Than be very cooperative friendly and positive and be prepared for the interview but also try to relax. You are a family now and face this together, together you're strong!

Best wishes!!

thanks for the reply citrine
I agree with your suggestions... Yes, once the docs are ready we will send an email to request new appointment for the visa interview. You said you crossed the old appontment date and wrote the new one manually. Just out of curiosity: do we also need to do this or should the email correspondence with the CO suffice?
the thing is that our wedding ceremony is scheduled to the first week of May, so we are hoping to attend the interview shortly after the wedding... what do you think?
thanks!

After you request for new appointment date, Consular will reply with date and also instructions on what to do on that day. In my case, the email instructed us to crossed out old date and wrote new date on the 2nd NL. Don't worry, you'll know what to do upon receiving email from Consular. Of course you may print out all email correspondence and bring them along to your appointment :)

Congratulations on your May wedding. Be sure to arrange for appointment date soonest.

Dear Bro and sisters,
Does it matter the date of marriage in our common law marriage contract differ from the date of marriage in the registered marriage certificate?

I won the DV 2010 lottery along with my spouse. My wife and I married before 2 yrs. through common law marriage. and We put in the original DV entry form as married. But we can't easily register our common law marriage in this state. The judge said us f( or registration purpose ) since the court doesn't acknowledge the common law marriage , we should be legally married at the date of today. It mean that the date of marriage which is written in the DS 230 form and the date of marriage ( for registration purpose ) in the marriage certificate will be different . Does the consular officer may reject my DV visa during the interview? what can I do to minimize the risk of rejection.

Please give your ideas as soon as possible.