Many Overnight Trips to the USA by Car--How to Deal with Uncertainty?

Inspace

Registered Users (C)
I was wondering if any experts know the scoop on overnight trips by car to the USA from Canada. I'm originally from the US, and until I sold my car in 2006, I made quite a few trips by car to Seattle, WA. I've been able to account for every trip outside of Canada by air and train, but really cannot account for all my trips by car.

Will hit the 1095 day mark for physical presence in mid-December based on what I have at this point.

I have scrutinized ATM statements, etc, to try and figure out when I was in Seattle. However, I'm wondering if this is all a waste of time? Or, do "they" know every single trip I've made? What if I miss some?

I was wondering if any experts know the scoop on overnight trips by car to the USA from Canada. I'm originally from the US, and until I sold my car in 2006, I made quite a few trips by car to Seattle, WA. I've been able to account for every trip outside of Canada by air and train, but really cannot account for all my trips by car.

Will hit the 1095 day mark for physical presence in mid-December based on what I have at this point.

I have scrutinized ATM statements, etc, to try and figure out when I was in Seattle. However, I'm wondering if this is all a waste of time? Or, do "they" know every single trip I've made? What if I miss some?

Hi,

If I were you I would attempt to document all trips made to and from US. I had few car trips on my own, and after each car trip, I would make an entry into my excel spreadhseet. At the end of the 3 yr period, I reviewed all the records and cross-referenced it to ATM and credit card purchases (e.g. gas, groceries,...etc).

In my friend's case, I was stunned how much the CIC (over border agency) knew about his travels.

Oh wow. Well, by December 15th I'll be at 1095 days according to my calculations. That includes a painstakingly close look at all my ATM records etc. Do you think that perhaps I ought to accrue some extra physical presence to be sure? All my trips were for personal reasons (I'm a US citizen).

Should I request a copy of my FOSS records? I called CIC and they told me "not to worry" if my declaration is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

However, the comment you made about your friend made me worry.

Oh wow. Well, by December 15th I'll be at 1095 days according to my calculations. That includes a painstakingly close look at all my ATM records etc. Do you think that perhaps I ought to accrue some extra physical presence to be sure? All my trips were for personal reasons (I'm a US citizen).

Should I request a copy of my FOSS records? I called CIC and they told me "not to worry" if my declaration is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

However, the comment you made about your friend made me worry.

The most important thing is that you have taken efforts(!) to accrue all days. As long as to the best of your knowledge you accounted for all of days, you have nothing to worry about. I doubt CIC will hairsplit for few inadvertently omitted days.

That's good. The reason I'm eager to apply is the 19th is the tenth anniversary of my move to Canada (obviously not as a landed immigrant or I wouldn't be worrying about the days)! It just seems like an auspicious date to apply for citizenship.

Any part of a day that you spent in Canada counts as a full day. So just attach a note stating how many overnight trips you think you made. You should be fine.

Dear Triple Citizen and All,

Thank you for the response. "Any part of a day spend in Canada counts as a full day"--I've heard this before, yet the Residency Calculator, counts all overnight trips as a day of absence.

I'm sure that you and others have noticed this! What is the deal with that? I've heard that people have actually been told that "any part of a day counts as a day" from the CIC Call Centre--yet I'm afraid of contradicting the mighty Residence Calculator!

Any thoughts?

Dear Triple Citizen and All,

Thank you for the response. "Any part of a day spend in Canada counts as a full day"--I've heard this before, yet the Residency Calculator, counts all overnight trips as a day of absence.

I'm sure that you and others have noticed this! What is the deal with that? I've heard that people have actually been told that "any part of a day counts as a day" from the CIC Call Centre--yet I'm afraid of contradicting the mighty Residence Calculator!

Any thoughts?

Ok. I appreciate your comment.

However, you have not stated the source (e.g. web page and link),...you stated what "other people say", which is pretty much playing with a "broken phone",...Ever heard of that game? If not, what it does it proves that as information gets carried over from one person to another, it gets distorted.

It simply amazes me how people ask questions on something that is CLEARLY STATED on CIC website. Rather than going to authoritative source, people tend to trust forums more. I guess that those from countries such as India, China and Pakistan where governments are prone to corruption, believe that the same principle governs Canada and CIC.

For answers to your questions, this is what CIC web site states:

".....Q4: When I try to calculate my absences, I get different numbers than the residence calculator. How does the residence calculator determine the number of days for each absence?

A4: The calculator uses the following rules to determine the number of days absent for each absence declared:

* When calculating an absence, either the day you leave Canada or the day you return is considered an absence, but not both. For example, an absence between July 1, 2003 and July 15, 2003 equals 14 days of absence.

* If you leave Canada and come back the same day, you do not have to declare an absence.

* An absence on February 29 (leap day) is not counted as an absence, nor is it credited as a presence. See Question 5 for more information on leap days.
* Total residence days ending in .5 are rounded up in your favour.

* The total number of days absent includes all absences from Canada within the four-year period immediately preceding the date of your application. Because the time spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident is only credited as half-time, absences from Canada before you obtained permanent resident status are divided by two before they are included in the total number of days absent.

* Total residence days ending in .5 are rounded up in your favour.

...."

http://services3.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en then click on "Physical Residence".

These guidelines are STRICTLY followed.

Last edited by a moderator: