Lost Job: Problem with I-864A: Big Trouble

akshtray

Registered Users (C)
Hello:

I recently got laid of my company and am in big trouble. I was currently working under my OPT prior to my graduation from college. Me and my wife (who is an american citizen) were going to file for my Permanent Residence (Green Card).

We were planning to file for the I-864(from her) and I-864A (from me) forms as her income barely meets the poverty level. However, my income is almost 3 times the size. But now that I have lost this job I do not know what we can do. Is there going to be a problem if we still go ahead and file the paperwork.

Please help me. I am desperate. Things have been terrible for the last 2 weeks for me and I am turning to this forum for some last hope of help.

I will really appreciate the help.

Thank You.
Akshay

I would suggest that you file your I130 / I485 ASAP and worry about the I864A at a later stage.. you need to maintain legal status in the US.

Your father in law , mother in law , friends could be able to file the I864A for you later.

Hello Sachin:

Thank You.

I am still going to file my I-485 and I-130 and all other paperwork immediately. I am in Status till the first week of March 2004 anyway because my OPT is valid till then.

I also realized that my not having a job at present may not really pose a big problem as I should have a job in the next few weeks (hopefully) and most definitely will have a job by the time my Interview with the INS comes up. So at that point in time I will be able to represent my employment as not being a problem at all.

Honestly, do you think it may be a problem?

Thank You.

Sincerely,
Akshay