• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Looking for advice on marriage/application

cface89

Hello!

I was born in Russia and currently live in Canada. I would like to move to the US more than anything and so does my girlfriend who I've been with for 4 years, living together for 1. We are not yet ready to get married and she is not eligible to apply for the diversity visa (she was born in China). The way I see it we have 2 options:

1. Sign the paperwork to get married ASAP, both apply for DV
2. I apply for DV, hope I win, if I do win, we get married before the interview, fill out paperwork, and take the interview together and prove our relationship is legit. We prefer this method as like I said, we aren't really ready to marry but will if it's either that or no green cards.

If it helps, we are both in great careers, own assets, are young (mid 20's), so I don't see us failing the interview for any reason except for the consulate thinking I'm trying to sneak her into the US, which is of course not the case.

My question is: Is there a better way to approach this? Right now we're thinking of going with option 2, but before I apply I would like to know if that's a mistake? I see a lot of people taking this route as I googled this exact issue and it seems there are many who did option #2. Any advice, please?

Option 2 is fine. Just undertand that you are entering a LOTTERY. Your chances of winning are worse than 1 time in 100 years. So - it isn't really a "plan", and option 1 would be daft with those odds of success.

Yeeahhhh.... If you're not ready to get married, then option 1 - doing so in the hopes of winning a lottery - doesn't really seem to make much sense....

Thank you for the responses. I agree that getting married just for the lottery doesn't make that much sense but it would double our chances to win as then she could apply as well. We aren't banking on winning it at all and understand our odds, we're going to start applying for jobs in the US alongside our application as well.

If we go with option #2, do you think it's likely they would reject our application upon finding out we got married after winning? I'm just worried about that...

Thank you for the responses. I agree that getting married just for the lottery doesn't make that much sense but it would double our chances to win as then she could apply as well. We aren't banking on winning it at all and understand our odds, we're going to start applying for jobs in the US alongside our application as well.

If we go with option #2, do you think it's likely they would reject our application upon finding out we got married after winning? I'm just worried about that...
"...we're going to start applying for jobs in the US alongside our application as well." - this is an unrealistic plan, US employers will not consider your application if you can not produce US Employment Authorization at the time of your job application or, at the very least, absolutely certain evidence that will be able to present such at the start date of any future employment in the US.

They won't reject your application. Enter. IF you win, we can discuss it....

"...we're going to start applying for jobs in the US alongside our application as well." - this is an unrealistic plan, US employers will not consider your application if you can not produce US Employment Authorization at the time of your job application or, at the very least, absolutely certain evidence that will be able to present such at the start date of any future employment in the US.

I have the highest qualifications and very good experience in a specialized and in-demand field (finance). The idea would be to have my visa sponsored by the employer. Our issue is mostly that we don't think it's likely that she will find an employer to sponsor her as she works in mkting (can't write this word out? flagged as spam..) and from what we've seen it's not as likely.

I have the highest qualifications and very good experience in a specialized and in-demand field (finance). The idea would be to have my visa sponsored by the employer. Our issue is mostly that we don't think it's likely that she will find an employer to sponsor her as she works in mkting (can't write this word out? flagged as spam..) and from what we've seen it's not as likely.
Well, we all certainly wish you well. Please don't forget that there are many qualified people with your aspirations, all around the world.
You might want to start researching the topic here https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us
If you were holding Canadian Citizenship, there were additional opportunities folks from Russia and China are unfortunately not eligible for. If you are serious on the matter and want to review all possible options, you may want to work with an experienced US Immigration Attorney. Good luck!

Well then you should be researching H, possibly L and maybe even O visas depending on your personal experience and desirability. I know people working in the US on all of those visas. Those are all paths to green cards; if your spouse doesn't work for a few years while on the way, well that is what many do for the long term prize. But yes she'll have to be your spouse to move with you that way. That non-DV discussion best belongs in a different forum, though.

Well, we all certainly wish you well. Please don't forget that there are many qualified people with your aspirations, all around the world.
You might want to start to research the topic here https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us
If you were holding Canadian Citizenship, there were additional opportunities folks from Russia and China are unfortunately not eligible for. If you are serious on the matter and want to review all possible options, you may want to work with an experienced US Immigration Attorney. Good luck!

I do hold a Canadian citizenship and so does she. What are the additional opportunities? I am considering school but that's my far backup as its expensive and would be eclipsed by what I've already got..

I do hold a Canadian citizenship and so does she. What are the additional opportunities? I am considering school but that's my far backup as its expensive and would be eclipsed by what I've already got..
Good for you. Unfortunately this is outside the scope of the DV forum and you need to get familiar with potential pathways open to you. My earlier advice on working with an experienced US Immigration Attorney if you are in any way serious, is as far I will personally go in respect to your above questions. Good luck!