• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

long absences from USA

zolpo

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I activcated my DV green card at november 2009.

Since I had a lot of business in my home land, 1 weeks after the activation I traveled back to my home land.

Next week i will come to visit USA for the second time. This visit will be very short one (less than a week).

After that I am planning to come back and visit USA for the third time only next year.

is it possible to keep the GC after all that absences??
I heard a rumor that GC holder must stay in USA for period not less than a half year and only after that he/she can travel outside. Is it true?

Many thanks

Try to come and stay longer next time, and apply for re-entry permit. When are you planning on fully moving to the US?

Some have stated they did the same and had no issues and some were stopped and their GC taken, since they didn't comply with the GC regulations. It is a card that gives you free traveling in and out, but if you do not file a tax return and have not shown intentions of being a perminent resident for a longer period during a certain time frame, then it can be seen as abandoning of your status and you might have done the whole process for nothing and losing your GC status.

As the previous poster said...careful.

Thank you all so much for your precious advices

NuvF: The links where very helpful!

Re:long absences

rule says that you need to stay for more than 6 months in 1 year. However, if you apply for re-entry permit and inform the immigration about your plan you may be allowed to stay away for 1 year at one go. But, if your stay is longer than a year then it will be hard for you to get back here. You can buy a land, apartment or a house to show that you have enough attachments in the country and that may help in any adverse situation. Also, don't go by what others say. You need to take care of all the things yourself. You should consult an attorney who may be able to guide you much better.
USAFIS

A re-entry permit might work for some time, but if you do not plan to move to the US in the next couple of years, it is all futile. Do you have such plans?