Likely Chennai February Interview

Originally posted by Lavanya
Thank you all for your valuable input.
Update:
I received my appointment date ( April 22 ) yesterday March 14th via email.
And my parents in India received packet 4 (today) except for the appointment letter. I guess the appointment letter will be mailed to US, right?
For some reason, chennai consualte website is not yet updated
with the appointment list.

Is there anyone else from this forum for April Interview in Chennai consulate? Please let me know.

Thanks again everyone!
Hello Lavanya,
Congratulations on getting date.
I am also expecting april date, i also got email saying my p4 has been mailed to local address, but no date mentioned via mail.still i did not receive p4.Which address the p4 been mailed?.
Under what categoery u fall?.
What is your traveling plans?
Lufthansa costs $1290 for the round trip.
Thanks,
Krishna.

Congrats

Thank you all for your valuable input.
Update:
I received my appointment date ( April 22 ) yesterday March 14th via email.
And my parents in India received packet 4 (today) except for the appointment letter. I guess the appointment letter will be mailed to US, right?
For some reason, chennai consualte website is not yet updated
with the appointment list.

Is there anyone else from this forum for April Interview in Chennai consulate? Please let me know.

Thanks again everyone!

Lavanya,

Congrats for getting the April interview. I also got the interview date of 16 April in New Delhi.

Best of Luck.

Krishnatrk,
The dates are out in the website today. Please let me know your date.

CpDelhi,
Congrats and best wishes.
Please let me know what are the documents you would be carrying once you finalize your list in addition to what is mentioned in Packet 4. Thanks.

Krishnatrk,
The dates are out in the website today. Please let me know your date.

CpDelhi,
Congrats and best wishes.
Please let me know what are the documents you would be carrying once you finalize your list in addition to what is mentioned in Packet 4. Thanks.

Hi Lavanya,
My interview date is on 23rd april.
Please let me know ur plans for flying.
I would like to fly on 17th april by lufthansa from detroit chennai.
Krishna.

I am considering British Airways from NJ to Chennai. Also I am planning to fly on April 11th. Do you know the fares for British Airways by any chance?

Does anyone have any idea as to who needs to sign the employment letter and notarize it - either the HR recruiter or the Manager/Director? Please let me know.
In my office, always the HR recruiter gives me a reference letter. Is that okay? Thanks.

One more question. How old can the employment letter be?
I got my reference letter notarized today ( 3/24) for the interview on 4/22 , ie. almost one month old. Is this fine or do I have to take a new one before leaving on 4/11? Please let me know. Thanks.

One more question. How old can the employment letter be?
I got my reference letter notarized today ( 3/24) for the interview on 4/22 , ie. almost one month old. Is this fine or do I have to take a new one before leaving on 4/11? Please let me know. Thanks.

What you have is a very fresh letter. You don't need another
one still closer to the date.

About who signs:

This basically depends on the orgainization. Who ever normally
signs HR related communications would do. Out of the choices
given by you, obviously it is better to have it from the Manager/
Director.

To quote my example, in my company HR Recruitor is a low rung
employee working for HR Director. So, I would take my letter from
my HR Director.

By the way whose name was mentioned as 'Petitioner' in your
case.

Raju

Raju,
The Petitioner is my HR Manager. You are right. Getting it from the HR manager makes sense. Thank you for the advice.

Also do I have to take a Sailing Permit as mentioned in immihelp.com. Please advise. Thanks.

Sailing permit not required these days

Quote from URL:http://immihelp.com/
Click--> Consular Processing --> Sailing Permit

Note: No one is being asked for sailing permit for last several years that employment based consular processing that has been going on. Hence, it is up to you whether you would like to get it or not.

Sailing permit in US is a permission issued by IRS that an individual can leave the US. IRS, in earlier days made sure that any individual leaving US had paid all the due taxes.

It is not a requirement these days. I have not seen even one CPer recently who had taken a sailing permit for the interview in the US Consulate in his/her home country. It is also not listed in the packet 4 requirement. An individual's tax return for last three years are enough to prove that an individual has paid all the required taxes in recent past. if not, IRS would have been already behind the individual.

If an individual still wants to get one, please fill form 2063 and go to the IRS office with required documents.

Form 2063: http://immihelp.com/forms/sailing_form2063.pdf

Thanks & Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sailing Permit

What cpDelhi said is correct. The sailing permit is history now.
If you care to look, you would actually find a directive from
Collin Powel himself, asking his staff 'Not to insist' for this
document.

Your HR Manager being also your petitioner is the right person
to give you the employment letter.

Raju

have one question?
Do we need to have previous employment verification letters for consular processing?? or Just current employer letter is enough??? Generally what are the list of document needed for CP. I was thinking of choosing CP, which one is best choice ACS or CP?? if I want to file CP do I need to wait for 140 approval before appling for CP

What are the step in CP

Thanks for your help

cpDelhi,
I saw your reply in another thread stating that PC is valid for only 6 months. I got mine on July 31st. My interview is on April 22. Do I need to get it again since it becomes the seventh month on April?? Do I have to go thro' the whole process once again? Please let me know.
Thanks.

PCC valid for 6 months

Lavanya,

I think it will be safer to get the PCC, if the earlier one is more than 6 months old. These days the security is tightened at most of the places.

If your last PCC was issued from the Indian COnsulate in New York, you should be able to get the PCC on the same day, if you go personally to the Indian COnsulate. You will also get the PCC with in 4 working days via FedEx.

Since you are so close to the interview, I would highly recommend to go personally and not take the risk of sending by mail. Also call the Indian consulate before hand to confrim the process.

Thanks & Good Luck.

Re: PCC valid for 6 months

Originally posted by cpDelhi
Lavanya,

I think it will be safer to get the PCC, if the earlier one is more than 6 months old. These days the security is tightened at most of the places.

If your last PCC was issued from the Indian COnsulate in New York, you should be able to get the PCC on the same day, if you go personally to the Indian COnsulate. You will also get the PCC with in 4 working days via FedEx.
cpDelhi, Does it mean, for reissue, they take just a day? not the 40 or so days

thanks
KYCP

Since you are so close to the interview, I would highly recommend to go personally and not take the risk of sending by mail. Also call the Indian consulate before hand to confrim the process.

Thanks & Good Luck.

Reisssue of PCC in 4 working days

KYCP,

Yes. I meant re-issue of PCC. PCC is issued with in a day on personal visit at the Indain COnsulate or via FedEx overnight service (to and fro) in 4 (four) working days. This is my experience with the Indian Consulate in Houston,TX.

PCC is issued in such a short duration in following two conditions:
1. An individual's last passport was issued at the same Indian Consulate.
2. An individual last PCC was issued at the same Indian Consulate.

So if an individual satisfies any of the above condition, a PCC will be issued in max 4 (four) working days.

Thanks.

PCC

cpDelhi,
I called Indian Consulate in New York today ( that is where I got it on July ) . They are saying that I have to go thro' the whole process again and it will take 45 days or so.
Is it advisable to get it from India as it looks like faster than getting it here in US? Please advise.

I also got a mail from Chennai consulate saying my PCC is valid only for six months.

Thanks for all your input.

Re: PCC

cpDelhi,
I called Indian Consulate in New York today ( that is where I got it on July ) . They are saying that I have to go thro' the whole process again and it will take 45 days or so.

Sorry to hear that. Did you mention that you have been in US for the whole time since last PCC was issued? I am sure the answer to your phone call was generic. Secondly, I would highly recommend to personally visit the consulate and describe your situation. An officer might help you after hearing from you in person. Tell them that PCC is very important for your CP interview and you don't have the luxury of the time to get the PCC with the current processing time of 45 days.

Is it advisable to get it from India as it looks like faster than getting it here in US? Please advise.
This is just my take on this issue. I would not initailly bank on PCC from India at this stage. Try visiting the Indian Consulate. Be polite and be affirmative in your request for re-issuance of PCC. If you are still not successful, then the only was is to get a PCC from India. The officers in India will make you run more. SO give a full hearted try here in US with the Indian Consulate. Take your old PCC with you and some written proof of the interview date(like e-mail, interview letter) to support your case.

I also got a mail from Chennai consulate saying my PCC is valid only for six months.
It's true that PCC is now only valid for 6 months.

Thanks for all your input.