• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Life In America

I was about to make me somethng to eat (night hunger), i head to the fridge & then i heard many bangs... like 10-15... I call the police (because I am not use of hearing gunshots since i lived in montreal & europe...) & he cops told me that there were a shooting... I'm freaked out... I am not use to that crap... I do not want to hear gunshot.. i want a safe neighbourhood... I am concidering to move out of this city...

Welcome to America. Most places are going to be like that, unless you're rich.

Update to she gunfight story... it was in fact Firecracker... They do that a lot to lure the cops...

Employment Agencies to get a job in US

"6) Jobs Search: I may sound proud here with the current economy but will state as it is. Most people/aliens believe that they must do shoddy jobs to survive the first few year...ok - I have no objection if that is what they want. Others believe that everyone must do NURSING or similar course to survive a better job - no problem with that idea either if that is what you want to do. BUT IF you already have a degree in something else, why waste it...a few courses can 'enhance it" to fit what American employers prefer. Not all American employers resent foreign education...you can still find a job. In my experience - I find going through Employment Agencies the easiest to land in a career job. You may end up starting up as a contractor but you'll still be making some money. Contracting HELPS - especially with learning the American culture, understanding American corporate politics/bureaucracy; and just knowing how to deal with people here. They may come in slots of 3 months for each employer but you get to learn so much, and you make better money than what you can at shoddy jobs. (If you are lucky - you can get at least $11 in shoddy jobs...some places $8 an hour. With contractor job of your career - count it from $17 an hour. If one has no degree/education, you can still get mailman job for $40,000 at an office (deliver mail, sort etc within the company), or secretary (for same amount) but only through contractor...and NOT with the state"

Thanks for ur information and enlightenment, i want u to pls send me a website where i can possibly link up with any of them in the state. Or probably link me up to land in a gud one. Ur response is highly appreciated. I am already in Atlanta, Georgia. Am waiting 4 ur response, thank u

You also must pay tax every time you touch money. There are taxes before you get your money the more you make the more the take. Then almost everything you buy has a sales tax. At the end of the year the government ( federal and state) come back again making sure they have their share of your income.

Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society. - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Howdy

Helpful post by makeiteasier. Here's a few key points of mine;

Credit Cards
If you had them in your home country originally, the bank may initially offer you one. Checking accounts are still very big here and used as the main transactional account and usually offered with a debit card to access your funds at ATMs or POS (grocery stores, retail stores, etc). Otherwise a store card from Macy's may be an alternative to initially create a credit history that will develop a credit score (when accounts are paid on time) and perhaps a membership to gym or other organization that has monthly payments (that are met without late payment penalties).

Groceries
Whilst beef is relatively expensive, chicken is exceptionally cheap - usually on sale for 99c/lb for thighs/legs/wings or $1.97/lb for boneless skinless chicken breasts.
I recommend the 99c Store though, as they usually will have fresh vegetables for... you guessed it 99c! Anything from lb of tomatoes to watermelon, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, etc plus many other items like cookies, cereal, etc, etc way cheaper than the grocery store - but still you need to know your prices as occasionally on some items Ralphs (in SoCal) will be cheaper.

Driver's Licence
It may depend on your experience, but I only had to show my home country licence then sit the written test in NJ and when I moved to FL I just had to hand over my NJ licence, then when I moved to CA sit the written again - no practical driving test.

Cars
In CA they are subject to smog test (unless new), even when bringing and registering from out of state. New cars are offed with $0 down and 0% int on loans, but you'll need a credit score in excess of somewhere around 740 (at the dealer's discretion). Used can be a good deal, but remember the odometer reading is in miles so a 50k miles reading is 80k kms.

Car Insurance
Can come with:
Property Damage Liability (to others)
Bodily Injury Liability (to others)
Unisured/Underinsured Motorist
Comprehensive
Collision
Rental Re-imbursement
Roadside Assistance
You may have to look a policy that takes into account how long you've had your licence in your home country, as some insurance companies only accept history in the US.

Health Insurance
Tough one - your employer (for F/T positions) will most likely offer you this and is deducted from your paycheck, but not to be confused with medicare that is for old age pensioners. Otherwise you will need private insurance (unless you would want to risk paying a fortune for basic treatment - ERs will treat you but will charge you for any treatment in an emergency. Private Insurance will tend to include, with your monthly payments:
a Deductible
Co-insurance (how much % of the bill you pay - up to the maximum out-of-pocket for the year)
Co-payment (usually a smaller fee for doctor visits e.g. like $35 for each visit up to 4 per year)
Maximum Out-of-Pocket (how much you will be required to pay in total per year until the Ins. Coy. will pay the total of any further bills over this amount.
Many online sites will give you quotes based on the info you provide. Obama's healthcare eliminated lifetime maximum payout limits, so the ins. coys must now pay regardless of the total bills incurred over a lifetime of medial services used (in my understanding). However I believe the coys can still increase policy premiums based on your age and thereby increase premiums yearly.

Clothes & Electronics
Very Cheap - go to factory outlets and even cheaper, though Old Navy, H&M are good too, Macy's always has big sales - 99c stores sell ties and socks too! Best Buy is a large electronics retailer (there used to be Circuit City too, but the recession), though a great deal of online retailers, depending on which state you live in, don't charge tax and have free delivery a lot of the time as well.

Wi-fi - Internet - Libraries
Libraries (the first free libraries started by Benjamin Franklin) are a great resources for using free wifi and even borrowing DVDs (free)! Generally though, starbucks, McDonalds, Apple stores all supply free wifi and most malls too, so almost anywhere you go out to, providing you have a laptop, tablet or ereader, you should be able to find internet access.

A lot of little things are different here though, from street crossings to the language used, but this is also a regional thing - Bostonians will be more familiar with english terms (the Queen's english) than Angelenos or Texans...

In the spirit of this forum and caring for my fellow human, if I can offer a word of advice, first time when/if you go to Las Vegas, go and be in awe of the magnificence of the man-made creations, enjoy a buffet or two (Wynn is fantastic, Paris is good value), maybe a show (I really like the Cirque de Soleil Elvis), but don't let the machines take a hold on you... ;)

Cheers

Well said

@AmericanAussie - well said. I actually didnt know that they would give credit cards with foreign credit history! Cool for those who use them. (I personally have never had a credit card by choice, I use what I have, and when I dont have, I know that I dont need it. Hasnt stopped me from buying cars, house, or anything)

@Mejemeje - I responded to your inbox...best would be to google depending on your qualifications, and career. Different employment agencies handle different careers and have something for everyone. Like if you are in medical field, there are agencies that deal with only medical professionals, nurses, techs, physician assistants, dental assistants etc. If you are in the legal field, there are legal staffing agencies only. If you are in administration, we have agencies that handle administrative jobs etc. Just google with your location and qualification etc. Good luck to all of us!

credit score

Helpful post by makeiteasier. Here's a few key points of mine;

Cars
In CA they are subject to smog test (unless new), even when bringing and registering from out of state. New cars are offed with $0 down and 0% int on loans, but you'll need a credit score in excess of somewhere around 740 (at the dealer's discretion).

Cheers

Credit score around 740? really this is super high, just coming in this country no one has such a high credit score and you dont really need 740 to get a car loan, you can easily get a car loan with a score under 700

Ridiculous!

EVEN cell phone service (unless it's pre-paid) will require credit history!!!

When I first came to US in 2001 I had to give a deposit of $800 (eight hundred dollars), to subscribe to AT&T cell phone service, because I did not have credit history. I was refunded that deposit after 1 year. This fee may have changed, but given the economic conditions, I would not be surprised if things have become tougher.

This is the MOST ridiculous thing I ever saw about this place... credit check for a phone!!! But I guess that is because the terrible service that they offer here is also priced unreasonably high, so they need to ensure that you are a good candidate to milk!

Choice of State\City

Hi guys

To all those currently in the states or those that are planning to move ther soon. I'm just curious:

For those who moved and had NO friends or relatives in the states already and those that are moving to the states where you don't have any friends or realatives,

How hard is it to move there and start everything from scratch?? In terms of finding appropriate accomodation, finding your way around, shopping, Jobs??? etc

AND Most importatant what determines your choice of State\ City you will finally move to???

I'm personally asking because currently I have no friends or relatives in America and I'm really torn apart on deciding which state I have to move to. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has\will experince this.

I hope my question is clear and would welcome feedback or suggestions. Thank You

I will personally choose the state by looking at couple things:

The weather (Hot, Cold, Snow, Beach)
Living expenses (Rent, Food, Nightlife)
Job opportunities within your major
Transportation facilities
Crime rate
-----------------------------------------------------------

When I first moved to the U.S as an international student, I went to California.
I had in mind that it was the perfect state because of (Beaches, sunny weather, Hollywood, Beverly hills, Disney Land, Six Flags, Great Night life....)
I ended up leaving back to my home country, because of how hard it was living there (We are talking about someone that does not have any friends,family, and having a new start in the U.S)
It is so hard because you definitely need a car there, its a huge state. Living expenses are so high, especially rent!!
2 bedroom apartment, 1 living room, 1 kitchen was $1500.
Beach, Disney Land, Six flags, Beverly hills.... I wanted always to go there, but it takes hours unless u have a car, or live in a city like Santa Monica by the beach, way more expensive rents.
Traffic is soo bad in L.A, you can spend hours stuck in traffic...
Still California is an amazing state but not to live in, its great to go spend vacation there for a week and go back home.

After 3 years I went back to the U.S, but now I went to Arizona, Phoenix (Tempe) By Arizona State University.
Some people will say wow living in the desert!!!
It was 100000 times better to live there than California.

Great weather, its really hot! but you don't have to deal with rain, snow, sickness...
Rent you can share an apartment with someone and pay $400 a month, there are plenty of place like that in Arizona.
You will not have a car when you first go to the U.S for the first time, in AZ you can use your bicycle to go around in cities (Grocery shop, Go to work....).
Night life was soo good there, lot lot and lot of students, no crimes, casual city especially Tempe.
You can hit the bars, restaurants, clubs with shorts, and sandals.
Every 2 months or so we went to California/Vegas/Mexico with my friends, 5-6 hours drive, we enjoyed all the amusement you can ever think about then went back to AZ. One of my best friends was a stripper, she goes to California on the weekends to make money and comes back to AZ weekdays.. I asked her why you not live in california instead ofgoing there every weekend... She was like AZ is the best place to save money, and start from.
My other friend, she used to live in florida ended in Arizona... Same thing, trying to save money to pay loans, and picked AZ
Its an amazing place to start from, if you are not rich, and trying to get used to the American life.

I hope this helped a bit :) I miss Arizona sooooo much!

Now that I am a DV-Lottery winner with number AS32000 going for CP, and if I get my visa (Pray for me :rolleyes: ), I will definitely go to Arizona Live between Tempe and Scottsdale. I might also consider going to Texas Austin...

Last edited by a moderator:
The more people want to be at a place the more it costs. People love to live near an ocean. They like living near activities found in big cities. They like "good" weather. Each positive factor a place has the more it costs to live there. I live 60 miles inland from Los Angeles and the average house is over 350 k USD and a 2 bedroom rental averages 1250 a month. For this I am less than an hour away from the ocean or sking in the winter. I can ski in the morning and swim in the afternoon. I grew up in a town of 370 people in the north east , we got over 150 inches of snow each year , the temp is freezing for months and there are no near by factories or movie houses. The average price of a house there is about 80K and rent is about 500 a month. If you plan on renting reference 4rent.com , which gives the prices of luxury to modest apartments in most cities. Try www.bestplaces.net to see how cities rank for cost of living and unemployment and schools

Hi

Hi guys

To all those currently in the states or those that are planning to move ther soon. I'm just curious:

For those who moved and had NO friends or relatives in the states already and those that are moving to the states where you don't have any friends or realatives,

How hard is it to move there and start everything from scratch?? In terms of finding appropriate accomodation, finding your way around, shopping, Jobs??? etc

AND Most importatant what determines your choice of State\ City you will finally move to???

I'm personally asking because currently I have no friends or relatives in America and I'm really torn apart on deciding which state I have to move to. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has\will experince this.

I hope my question is clear and would welcome feedback or suggestions. Thank You

Settling from scratch...I did - wish I could lie it was easy...takes more time than pple with relatives etc but at the end of the day, America has a way of balancing everyone!

Am still trying to determine what state we should live in heheheeh! I wish I was to determine, but somehow move in to the state where there is someone who is willing to take you in for your first few months as you sort your physical GC issuance, SSN, and DL plus job...my view only.