• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Life In America

verdite

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone. I noticed that most of us just post about our experiences when we are still in our home countries and only end up posting details of our interview experiences and that will be it. But just getting the visa is half the battle for most people especially those that dont have any friends or family to help them adjust to the way of life in the U.S it becomes hard to settle in and yet it could be more easier if we also shared info on life once one arrives in America including our experiences. Im sure many would be interested to find out about the following but not limited to:

1) Rental Apartments: which estate agents are the best to deal with in the states we live in
2) Bank Accounts: Which banks are more open to new immigrants without any credit history etc
3) SSN: What are the processing times for this in the different states
4) Buying Cars/ car rental ;
5) Drivers licences: how easy is it to get one
6) Jobs Search

So im sure there is so much more we can help each other to make the right decisions. What are your thoughts on this guys???

Accomodation

It is true, let's talk about life in AMERICA, I got my visa, my spouse visa and my son's visa.
My problem now is that my only link in USA is ready to accommodate me alone but not my
spouse and my son. I will be going with enough financial resources to get myself accommodation
and start life. Is there anybody in the house that have an idea on how i can get shared
accommodation/sub-let accommodation just for Point of call ,for a short time till i get myself full
accommodation?

Some people will rent out rooms in their homes to make some extra money and some hotels have special rates for long term visitors. The hotels you can try searching for online in the city you wish to live in. Depending on your needs/expetations there would be different ways of finding cheap/lower class places than high class ones. For the people that share homes there are also various online sources, local newspapers, craigslist, penny saver. Be cautious with these because there are scams in the US around these , people renting places they don't own just to get your money and run. What area are you headed for ?

Thanks a lot for your contribution, I will do some research/ check online.
But if you are in US and you are ready to sublet part of your apartment
in Texas Dallas or Texas Houston,pls do reach on to me.

DV2012AF00000XXX
Entry Checked: 07.19.2011
Forms sent to KCC by DHL: 08.06.2011
Forms received by KCC according to DHL: 08.09.2011
Confirmed by KCC via email after inquiry mail sent to them: 09.13.11
current:November
2nd NL: 09.13.2011
Medicals:09:21-22:2011
Police Report:09:21:2011
Interview: 11.17.2011-Successful!!!
Visa picked:11:25:2011
Port Of Entry:Texas ?

hi every ones, thoses who been here long enough might remember me (ex 22 000...), now i am in usa will get my work permit soon, so i can answer some questions if you want.
Feel free to ask.

For the rent... my advice is to go online (craigslist & ebayclassified), real estate post there but you could get realy good deal. when you just arrive, you can rent a room (if you are alone), they are easy to get. Due to the crisis, many landlord will ask for some proof that you can pay the rent.

Bank account... I opened one at bank of america while on visa weaver... pretty easy but mos bank won't bother you much... you got any valid Id (green card is a must), they'll open an account & it will be effective imediately

SSN, 10 days (my wife got her one in less than 10 days, actualy she got her work permit, went to the social office, applied & got her SSN the day after... tha card took about 10 days to recieve but the SSN, she got it in 24 hours)

buying cars... well, without a credit, it will be hard obtaining a loan... you might wantt to buy a cheap one first ($500 to $1500)

driver's licence... just go to miami... any one can get his there...

Job... well, realy depend on where do you live.. In massachusetts, the economy is doing better, so jobs are not hard to find but be ready to go back to school since your degrees might not be reconized... & also while choosing for your city, check about your speciality because many places have different job field... so you might have a high speciality iin a domain that has jobs only in a certain part...

anything else? I can help

Thanks a lot for your contribution, I will do some research/ check online.
But if you are in US and you are ready to sublet part of your apartment
in Texas Dallas or Texas Houston,pls do reach on to me.

DV2012AF00000XXX
Entry Checked: 07.19.2011
Forms sent to KCC by DHL: 08.06.2011
Forms received by KCC according to DHL: 08.09.2011
Confirmed by KCC via email after inquiry mail sent to them: 09.13.11
current:November
2nd NL: 09.13.2011
Medicals:09:21-22:2011
Police Report:09:21:2011
Interview: 11.17.2011-Successful!!!
Visa picked:11:25:2011
Port Of Entry:Texas ?

i suggest you to rent a studio, rent in Texas are very cheap, $500 you can get a nice studio in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio & Austin
gor on craigslist

@Jummy what @Jayo2k is saying is true you can rent a studio for a start with your family while settling down in USA.It is very cheap to rent,especially in TX.But i will also advise you as a fellow 9ja to be very careful about these online websites mention cos i know much about these websites,there are much scams everywhere especially now that is yuletide season scammers wants to celebrate it in a big way or big time.Be wise my sister?@Jayo2k its your boy @Arekee,if you would still remember me @DV2012 thread.Well i am now @schoolboy peace.

Beware when if you try to rent a home. There are people that take advantage of empty homes. They will list them as rentals and collect your money and when you go to move in they have gone with your money.

i suggest you to rent a studio, rent in Texas are very cheap, $500 you can get a nice studio in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio & Austin
gor on craigslist

I really don't know what studio mean- is it same as chalet o r what. How can i get the studio? it price is really adequate but where do i get it.

Yes Jummy I am a person born in the US to parents of parents born in the US. However I live in southern California . Try this site http://www.roommates.com

Ya Bros, I did chech on that site 4 days ago, there are seemingly good rooms there b
the site is asking for fee before i can be linked up.i am in a country -Nigeria, where getting a credit card for
online payment is an uphill task.

@Jummy just be careful when you and your family gets to the STATES? cos there are so many fraudulents housing agents in the STATES and some of these landlords would want to see your bank details or statements of account before they could rent you there houses or homes, just to know if you will be able to pay.

Let's see...

For the person who's host is ready to take them in but not the spouse and child...am sorry for that situation. Its tough.

1) Rental Apartments: You need credit to officially rent any apartment...however, there are people who rent out their furnished basements/rooms for extra $$ here and there, and only ask for extra deposit.
2) Bank Accounts: You do not need credit history to open any bank account in the US. All you need is the minimum deposit that each bank requires...however; is there any reason in today's US bank status why one would want to open a bank account? I have not had a bank account for six years now because the Credit Unions are much better than Banks. They do not charge all those fees for this and that here and there till they milk you dry, and they really helped me build my credit when I came here...borrowed like $500 and deposited it in savings for them to pay using the same. Then borrowd $1000 etc and within no time, I was having better credit score than most people. Of course, it showed, that it was new...but the score was great.
3) SSN: 10-15 days in the East Coast as far as I know. (For those who are planning to have families when they come... it's even shorter for children. Once they are born, the hospital helps with application and a few days after you get home - the card arrived. I remember with my 3rd born he was born on a Friday AM, and on the next Tuesday - the card was in the mail!
4) Buying Cars/ car rental: There are a lot of dealerships that will sell you nice starter cars for about $1000 or even less. You can either be so blessed with a "good old faithful" like I was with one that had 180,000 miles on it and drove till 400,000 - went back to zero and still ran to 30,000 before I gave my older sister...and she rode if till she saved enough for her own and donated OR you can be soooo unlucky, like a close friend of mine who's first 3 cars left her in tears within a year. One started smoking to fire in the middle of a highway...next got transmitter issues, and the 3rd just stopped one day - and that was it! (well, at least by then she had credit to get a better car)
5) Drivers licenses: It is VERY HARD if you are coming in as a student, and IMPOSSIBLE if you are coming in as a visitor; but coming in on green card, you can have one anywhere as soon as you have your ss card, pp, proof of address, and a few bucks (like $26 - $42) - there is a list of acceptable items. Most states you go for computer test first (google DMV - then state where you intend to live to see what is needed). Most DMV's have their manuals posted on line so you can read for the computer test before you go. For some states - you qualify for road test within 10-15 days, others immediately, while others I hear you will need a temporary one first - and permanent one will be mailed to your house. Where I have been (2 states for me and 2 other states for spouse), it has been easy (all East Coast). I understand it is standard all over US that one must know how to do the "parallel parking" (I hear).
6) Jobs Search: I may sound proud here with the current economy but will state as it is. Most people/aliens believe that they must do shoddy jobs to survive the first few year...ok - I have no objection if that is what they want. Others believe that everyone must do NURSING or similar course to survive a better job - no problem with that idea either if that is what you want to do. BUT IF you already have a degree in something else, why waste it...a few courses can 'enhance it" to fit what American employers prefer. Not all American employers resent foreign education...you can still find a job. In my experience - I find going through Employment Agencies the easiest to land in a career job. You may end up starting up as a contractor but you'll still be making some money. Contracting HELPS - especially with learning the American culture, understanding American corporate politics/bureaucracy; and just knowing how to deal with people here. They may come in slots of 3 months for each employer but you get to learn so much, and you make better money than what you can at shoddy jobs. (If you are lucky - you can get at least $11 in shoddy jobs...some places $8 an hour. With contractor job of your career - count it from $17 an hour. If one has no degree/education, you can still get mailman job for $40,000 at an office (deliver mail, sort etc within the company), or secretary (for same amount) but only through contractor...and NOT with the state. LONG ANSWER! I can talk a lot!

A few more things about life:
1. For manual cars, most windows open the-other-wise compared to other countries.
2. Light switches turn on and off opposite of the other world
3. There are no PAVEMENTS - they call them SIDEWALKS here.
4. No car BOOT - it's TRUNK; and BONNET is called HOOD
5. Of course no PETROL - it's called GAS here
6. It is an insult here (a blessing in most parts of Africa) to tell someone "You look so good and fat"...the word "FAT" is considered an insult even when true. Unlike most places, in this place when you gain, people are concerned that you are stressed out. When you loose weight - "Oh, you look so good and happy"
7. Unlike most places (and I have lived in a few other continents), here people start announcing pregnancy even when only 3 weeks along...and not fully confirmed! Most other places "people notice that so and so is expecting"
8. Did I say that people date FOREVER, and get engaged to INFINITY before getting married and then start having kids at 38? (very normal here - uncommon other places I have lived but it happens)
9. Junk food is sooo cheap! Cake is $2.99 a pound or less; and Broccoli is $5.99! Beef is like $3.99 - 15.99/lb. Fruits/Vegetables are generally very pricey...but you can get the worst junk food for so cheap. They sell "organic" food...(I find that ironically untrue) for twice the price. There are a lot of canned/frozen foods!
10. Number 9 above has some grace added to it by the fact that we drive from garage to garage. With all the cheap junk, and no walking...it's easy to end up "looking stressed".
11. Google Dr. Oz, and see his research on Apple Juice....the most common juice around.
12. One more word - and I will start charging for reading...EVERYTHING here amounts to money! Very hard to earn, very easy to spend.

@Schoolboy, how are u doing and i hope u are preparing for the XMAS. I want to wish everyone in the house a MERRY XMAS and may GOD bless us all as we celebrate the birth of our LORD JESUS CHRIST. Remain bless all!