Length of Absence at POE

jnwong

Registered Users (C)
Given that airlines have started swiping green cards over the counter when the PR is leaving the US, as JoeF has mentioned many times, how come the BCIS officers still ask questions like "How long were you gone?" at the POE still?

My understanding is that they can already see from their computer when the person departed from the US last. So, it doesn't make sense to ask such question, except that they want to see if the GC holder is honest or not.

Anyone interested in sharing anything about this?

Who Told You?

:eek: :confused:

Who told you they swipe your green card when you leave the country? I have been travelling frequently and I was never asked to even show them the card at departure. FYI. My recent departure was 3/12/2003 @JFK.

At POE, they will ask the length of your trip every time and then swipe your GC.

DO not make a point when you are not sure about something!!

What JoeF said is true. I personally had been asked to show GC for swiping when leaving the US before.

Now, can JoeF shed some light on my very first question about why BCIS officer still ask that question if they had known the answer?

Many questions are redundant ans are still asked. e.g
How did you get your GC. Don't they have such record
already? Or doesn't your GC itself show the category?

They are just part of the routine, which is not
designed as more efficient but more efftective
in screening people.

A bag of snack peanut also can carry a warning
label : ingredient is peanut.

I am sure that they are required to swipe GC during departure, but I think this has not been implemented fully at all point of departures. I recently took a trip and was not asked for a GC at any US counter at all. The only time I showed my GC in the US was at the Immigration counter upon return. This was at chicago.

Hi JoeF

Regarding the land crossings, I recall you had mentioned that they PLAN to implement the checking system. Do you have anything (e.g. web site) that support your statement? Thanks.

Thanks JoeF. Do you know where we can follow up with the development of such passenger arrival/departure tracking projects, e.g. any other URLs?

swiping green cards over the counter when the PR is leaving the US

JoeF,

I understand this "swiping green cards over the counter when the PR is leaving the US"; but what are they doing with PRs with no plastic card. Do they note the 'A' number from I551 stamp?

Thanks