Left sponsoring company before getting GC

Not sure what is confusing...

There is no legal requirement to notify USCIS if you change jobs under AC21. Most people do but it is NOT required (I did not).
The majority of the people are not being questioned about the job change during the interview and there is NO known case denial.

Go ahead. You did everything by the book and have nothing to worry about.

That is true. AC21 has nulled this requirement as you can change the employer even before approval of the GC - which is for a future employment. You should be fine and as mentioned here, there was hardly anybody mentioning about the employment question.

Take it easy man. You are almost there.

Texas Resident,

Nice to know cases like you. I feel better. I also didn't informed the USCIS for AC21 per then attorney advise. Though I worked for sponsering employer for 6+ years and laid-off on 2008. I was able to complete 6+ months of AC21 requirements after I485 and before being laid-off.

Well I am years away from N400. So I am just gethering the information. :)

Not sure what is confusing...

There is no legal requirement to notify USCIS if you change jobs under AC21. Most people do but it is NOT required (I did not).
The majority of the people are not being questioned about the job change during the interview and there is NO known case denial.

Go ahead. You did everything by the book and have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notifying USCIS of the job change is required if the employer asks USCIS to revoke the I-140. But once you actually got the GC, obviously the employer didn't revoke the I-140 so you don't need to worry about the failure to notify USCIS other than explaining the situation in the interview if asked about why the given employer is not listed in your 5-year employment history.

Adding my 2 cents....Notification USCIS is a gray area...i agree.. The initial (old) INS guidance on the issue says that it is "expected" that a letter will be sent to INS (USCIS)... thttp://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/I140_AC21_8403.pdf

I do not believe that a new (final) guidance for AC-21 addressed this matter...The way i look into this, the notification could have been a good practice and been more to benefit and protect the applicant.

Awesome!!! Thanks guys. I feel more cofident. My lawyer said the same thing about notifying INS, he said it is not required by law. He also said AC21 is a big gray area and it is open for lot of different interpretations. Anycase, since leaving the employer was not in your hands and since your intent was good, I think we should be okay. Anyway I will prepare well from my side and take all the evidence I have to prove my case.

thanks hattrick for the advise. I was ok with it until I read "take all precaution and necessary supporting document'! What do you mean? What documents? I don;t have any of that sort. I joined the second company in 2004, that was 5 years ago, moved 3 times since then, I don't have the emplyment letter from them!

hmcis,

I am referring to all documents during the transition from the GC sponsoring company. Take your termination letter from that company and new offer letter describing you are in the same field. Take whatever you have, just to defend your case if such a situation arises.

You could get an experience letter from the 2nd company, showing that you worked for them from this date to that date doing a job with duties X Y and Z.