Leaving the US during Citizenship Application Process

nihalw

Hello,
Does anyone know if it is okay to leave the US for an extended period of time during the citizenship application. I will have my fingerprinting done by the end of this month, but don\'t know how long it is going to take to get an interview date and oath ceremony (especially since I live in Houston, TX, renowened for being slow). I will have better job opportunities with my current employer if I am willing to take an overseas assignment, but am wary about doing so till I get my actual citizenship.

If I do leave, do they check before the interview if you have been outside the US for an extended period of time post-application?

Any advice?
Thanks.

-Nihal
nihalw@slb.com

Leaving

They count the time that you were outside the US when you filed the N-400. After that you shouldn\'t have any problems traveling outside. I would check with an immigration attorney though just to be on the safe side. If you read the Guide to Citizenship you will get a better idea about this.

Leaving US before fingerprint after filing

Hi there, again on this topic. Is it Okay to leave US waiting for fingprinting. Thanks for your opinion.
Mc

leaving the usa

i had my interview 2 weeks after the fingerprinting and my oath ceremony within 90 days after that.
my advice is : do not leave the usa now
finish up your case your to close

Where are you Karl ????

You are a lucky guy to have it very fast... we are talking about normal cases....

Leaving US before fingerprint after filing

Hi Karl right, you are really lucky. I also want to know where you are. Thanks

travel or job site?

your original posting mentions a more lucrative position with your company.
your residence/physical presence in the US time will be evaluated at interview. the time you spend outside the US between filing and interveiw (as well as until oath) will be included in this period. How long you are out, whether you pay taxes, and all other aspects will probably be looked at for your trips out after filing.

Short vacation trips should not be a problem though. unless you are approaching 50% of your last 5 years being out of country...