Lay off after stamping

m_kandy

Registered Users (C)
Here is my question.

Working for the sponsor (salaried with benefits) and got stamped.
If sponsor laysoff, Can I claim unemployment benefits (eg.insurance etc..) till I find a another job.
I am more concern about this because my wife expecting a baby in August, I was wondering if I the sponsor laid off then, how I am going to continue with the insurance. I have no idea. Can some explain how this situation should be handled?

Also please tell, If I want to apply for a new job(software development), which area is good. Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

m_kandy said:
Here is my question.

Working for the sponsor (salaried with benefits) and got stamped.
If sponsor laysoff, Can I claim unemployment benefits (eg.insurance etc..) till I find a another job.
I am more concern about this because my wife expecting a baby in August, I was wondering if I the sponsor laid off then, how I am going to continue with the insurance. I have no idea. Can some explain how this situation should be handled?

Also please tell, If I want to apply for a new job(software development), which area is good. Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

You can claim UB, for health insurance, there are 2 options
1) Get cobra(can be costly in most cases)
2) Find some other insurance, who can provide HB for less premium e.g metlife.

If you choose cobra, you still have choice to choose coverage plans, select only options required for you to reduce premiums. I am not sure, but Cobra might allow selection of members as well, in that case, use cobra for your wife, and get another insurance for youself.

qwertyisback said:
You can claim UB, for health insurance, there are 2 options
1) Get cobra(can be costly in most cases)
2) Find some other insurance, who can provide HB for less premium e.g metlife.

If you choose cobra, you still have choice to choose coverage plans, select only options required for you to reduce premiums. I am not sure, but Cobra might allow selection of members as well, in that case, use cobra for your wife, and get another insurance for youself.

Many opponent of a national health plan will encourage laziness
because having automatically covered will motive workers less
to work harder, but I think to a certain degree, the opposite may be
true. Many lazy guys want to stay with bigger companies
because of this health insurance issue rather than
go independent free-lance consulting.

JoeF said:
Pretty much impossible, with a preexisting condition (pregnancy).
It is pretty much impossible to get insurance for a pregnant woman, because the experience of insurance companies is that most women drop the coverage as soon as the child is born, leaving the insurance companies with the high costs, and only a few premium payments.

Ya, its tough, but if somebody shop around, its not impossible. Thats why I suggested 2 options to start with.

Also for pregancy coverage, not only insurance companies, but also hospitals provide some coverage plans(for existing conditions), they propose to pay 2/3K upfront and all preganancy cost will be covered until delivery and after care (if required)under their hospital services only. I can imagine that such hospitals might not be available widely and also it restricts medical services to that hospital only, but it can serve purpose if its fine with that individual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi JoeF/Others.
What if someone changes job a month after approval because of layoff from the sponsoring employer.& then had to change multiple jobs in next 2 months.
but same job responsibilites.