Latest news from Immigration Law website

SKumarD

Registered Users (C)
Update!! Latest news from Immigration Law website

Latest news from Immigration Law website:

12/15/2005: Senate S. 1932 Immigration Packet Practically "Dead"

The Senate is scheduled to continue the preagreed motions for instructions to the Senate conferees as follows: DeWine Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that any conference report shall not include the provisions contained in section 8701 of the House D1282amendment relating to the repeal of section 754 of the Tariff Act of 1930. GPO's PDFKohl Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that any conference report shall not include any of the provisions in the House amendment that reduce funding for the child support program established under part D of title IV of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 651 et seq.), and to insist that the conference report shall not include any restrictions on the ability of States to use Federal child support incentive payments for child support program expenditures that are eligible for Federal matching payments. Kennedy Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that the Senate provisions increasing need based financial aid in the bill S. 1932, which were fully offset by savings in the bill S. 1932, be included in the final conference report and that the House provisions in the bill H.R. 4241 that impose new fees and costs on students in school and in repayment be rejected in the final conference report. Reed Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist on a provision that makes available $2,920,000,000 for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Act of 1981 (42 U.S.C. 8621 et seq.), in addition to the $2,183,000,000 made available for such Act in the Departments of Labor, Health, and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2006. A unanimous-consent agreement was reached yesterday providing for further consideration of the message from the House to accompany S. 1932 (listed above) at 3:30 p.m., today with a series of votes to occur on the pending motions to instruct Conferees.
Since the Senate would agree not to instruct the Senate conferees not to include the House amendment to the Senate version on the immigration packet, the original Sections 8001 and 8002 appear to be practically dead unless any unlikely miracle takes place.

Last edited by a moderator:
What this means

hopefull1 said:
what does it all mean for the uninformed??? please provide feedback. thanks

hopefull1,

What this means is that no relief can be expected in the near term. Our only hope is that some other legislation passes next year but that will have to go through the same process and with the anti-immigrant sentiment in this country at an all time high we cannot count on anything happening next year either.

The bottom line is that for EB3s the future looks really bleak. Any sensible person filed under EB3 (especially Indian or Chinese) should have backup plans in place and should think seriously of the possibility of waiting around for years or moving to some other country or ones own country. I am sorry if I sound pessimistic but after a while its good to be realistic.

Lets continue to hope for the best but we would be foolish to not start preparing for the worst because the worst seems more likely right now.

regards,

saras76

A slight ray of hope!!

12/15/2005: S. 1932 Compromise Process Expected to be Completed within This Week

Report indicates that the Speaker of the House and the Senate Majority Leader have reached an agreement to pass the reconciliation bill within this week. On the Senate side, the motions for the conferee instructions are currently passed very quickly. Out of the seven motions, the Senate has already passed three motions before 4:00 p.m. EST, and the rest of the motions are expected to pass before the end of the day. The House has yet to act on the instructions to their conferees but considering the agreement between the two leaders of the House and the Senate, the House is anticipated to act on it very quickly as well.
The Senate motions mean that the Senate conferees are not allowed to compromise these seven instructions in the original S. 1932 of the Senate. The conferees can negotiate with the House conferees for all other differences but the Senate has not mandated the conferees on the immigration packet. Due to the short timeframe within which the conferees from both the House and the Senate will have to reach a compromise for all the differences, unless the House is determined to accept the Senate's S.8001 and S. 8002 when they come to the conference table, the chance of the immigration packet in the original bill is slim as the Senate will pass the final compromised S. 1932 conference report even without the immigration packet.
Please stay tuned to this web site for the breath-taking development of the S. 1932 negotiations.

12/17/2005: S. 1932 Information is Still Unofficial and Immigrant Community May Continue their Efforts

The sources of this information is fairly reliable but not official. We did not post the information to discourage the immigrant community from continuing their efforts. We will find out the official decision of the Congress very soon and until it becomes official, people should continue their efforts.
As this reporter stated, Rep. Sensenbrenner and Rep. Lamar Smith are fairly well known anti-immigrationists. Even before the House passed S. 1932, Rep. Lamar Smith was advocating his view that S. 1932 immigration bills should be handled as part of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation next year. However, Rep. Smith is a legislator who is unpredictable as illustrated by his sponsorship of H-1B Visa Reform Act of 2005 providing 20,000 additional H-1B numbers for the U.S. Master or higher degree earners. He stands strongly against legalization of the illegal immigrants but supports reluctantly legal immigration bills. This reporter urges the community to send "en masse" thank-you fax to him for his previous legislation of H-1B Visa Reform Act of 2005 and ask him to show a similar support in the S. 1932.
Remember that these three members are appointed as conferees from the Committee on the Judiciary for consideration of title VIII of the Senate's original bill and title V of the House amendment. For the conference reports, please click here.

addition to...

..atllab's info.

Unconfirmed sources indicate that in order to pass the negotiated S. 1932 in the House that has adamantly opposed the immigration bill as part of the budget reconciliation bill, the House leadership has reportedly negotiated and agreed to take out the immigration packet from the S. 1932, and both the House and the Senate may pass the finally negotiated S. 1932 bill tomorrow. Please stay tuned.

Some more info..

..on House and Senate Schedules Today and S. 1932

Excerpts from the website

The Senate will return to the session at 6:00 p.m. EST. The House has been in session since 1:00 p.m. The activities of the Conference Committee have yet to be disclosed and formalized into a Conference Report.

It appears, however, that the Senate and the House are preparing themselves for the potential conference report being brought to the full floors today. The House leaves open for the today's agenda a potential consideration of Conference Report on H.R. 4241 - Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, the House version of S. 1932. If the Conference Report is presented today, the votes will be taken anytime after 5:00 p.m. EST.

Thanks for keeping us all updates SKumarD. We all appreciate it. We hope against hope that there will be some good news for us retrogessee's.

Regards,
-KJ

My pleasure..

..posting and informing people like me who are on the same boat. I wish I could deliver some good news to everybody but so far, I couldn't fulfill my wish. Hope we all get our GCs as soon as possible.

12/18/2005: S. 1932 Voting Schedules

Report indicates that the GOP leaders in the House and the Senate have reached an agreement and are scheduled to push passage of the compromised bill in the House tonight and the Senate will pass it when they return to the session at noon, Monday. House Republican leaders said they would call for a vote within hours, and a post-midnight session seemed likely. Passage would clear the way for a Senate vote on Monday. There will be no votes in the Senate tonight. The Senate will return to the session at noon tomorrow, Monday, December 19, 2005.
Currently this preliminary draft of the GOP agreement is not available. Neither is available the information on Section 8001 and Section 8002 in this agreement. It is hoped that the AILA will obtain and release this informatioln the first thing in the morning tomorrow.

------------------
EB3 - India
PD: Mar 10, 2003
I-140 & I -485 RD: Nov 18, 2003
I-140 AD: Jan 20, 2005
I-485 AD: ??????

Still Unconfirmed but I wish this comes true...

12/19/2005: House Passed S. 1932 Last Night

The unconfirmed sources (Budget Committee staff in D.C.) indicated over the phone that it "appeared" that it included Section 8001!! Until it is confirmed, please do not assume that it is official. The Conference Report 109-362 which the House adopted last night will be released soon. However, until it is confirmed wrong, it is a good news for the time being. The Budget Committee Summary of the Conference Report was not specific enough to confirm this informal sources of information.