Last 5 year residency requirement

wendogg

Registered Users (C)
Hello all. I'm preparing to submit form N-400 and I'd like to really understand "Part 7" on the form. Quick background - we've been residing in the U.S. over the last 5 years, without a single trip outside the U.S. i.e. from late 2008 to present. From July 2007 when we received our GCs (through the DV) to late October 2008, we had a couple of trips in and out of the country, while slowly moving our lives over to the US. As requested in "Part 7" of the N-400 form, we've listed all of these trips outside the U.S. None of the trips lasted more than one year, although two (one each, myself and wife) had a trip of more than 6 months

Is it the last 5 years that we've been residing in the U.S. presiding our N-400 application in these coming days that they care about when considering eligibility for citizenship, or are the trips in and out of the country taken more than 5 years ago also counted towards eligibility.

Thanks

Thanks Tazmania & cafeconleche (I'd actually need one of those right abouts now !!!). So would you suggest that on Part 7c I provide the details of the trips I took outside the US since I became a LPR, even though they were taken outside of the last 5 years timeframe preceding my application ? Or should I only provide that information if asked during the interview ?

And one other thing, I did get a speeding ticket, paid a fine of less than $500. Do I need to answer "YES" to Part 10 Qn 16 ("Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained ....."), and then provide details in the table provide about my speeding ticket ?

I've read before that is it was a regular traffic ticket that resulted in a fine of less than $500 then no. But I'd like to be sure, that I do or dont need to detail this in the N-400 application form, and only mention it if asked during the interview.

Thanks again for your responses.

So would you suggest that on Part 7c I provide the details of the trips I took outside the US since I became a LPR, even though they were taken outside of the last 5 years timeframe preceding my application ? Or should I only provide that information if asked during the interview ?
Only answer what they are asking for and that are the last 5 years!

No no, Tazmania. 7c asks for ALL TRIPS since becoming an LPR, so wendogg, that means you LIST ALL TRIPS SINCE BECOMING AN LPR!

7a and b refer to the trips in the last 5 years, since those are the ones that count. They still want the whole list for c.

Last edited by a moderator:
No no, Tazmania. 7c asks for ALL TRIPS since becoming an LPR, so wendogg, that means you LIST ALL TRIPS SINCE BECOMING AN LPR!

7a and b refer to the trips in the last 5 years, since those are the ones that count. They still want the whole list for c.

Crap, you are right. Then he has to list all trips.

7c is the confusing part. So if I do list them down - is it more a matter for their own information, or it really does count in addition to the last 5 years, as asked in 7a and 7b ? Do I need to send any supporting documents for 7c, showing that I didnt abandon residence ?

To make it more confusing to me, I spoke with an Immigration Lawyer yesterday - it turns out coincidentally that a parent of one of my kids classmates was just that so I took the opportunity to ask him about Part 7, and his advice was that I dont volunteer any information unless asked. Well its asked in Part 7c I told him, and he said I should only answer 7a and 7b with "0" if I've never taken a trip in the last 5 years, which is correct, then leave 7c blank and provide that information if they do ask during the interview.

My concern with that is if they do ask during the interview, then I've got 4 trips to report, one of which was more than 6 months < 1 year. Wont that be more of a problem then, than just providing this information now ?

Sorry but that lawyer is an idiot. Don't leave 7c blank, that will give you problems. Put the 4 trips into the form and that's it.

Sorry but that lawyer is an idiot. Don't leave 7c blank, that will give you problems. Put the 4 trips into the form and that's it.

Will do.

Would you say I do the same for the speeding ticket citation, under Part 10, and answer "Yes" on Part 10 Qn 16 ?