Landing in canada, if you fly from US

immi_can

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Is there anybody who has landed in canada recently after June 28, 2002 flying from US or anybody know what is the procedure for landing if you fly from US. I know people are driving to canada from US for their landing and come back immediately. But I want to know if there is any problem flying to canada for the landing purpose, especially when you want to return to US in few days.

Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

hey canus,

i have read your experience many times. what i have asked is not what you did. you drove to canada and i am flying to canada for my landing.

i also assume that the procedure at POE will be the same whether you drive or fly to canada for your landing.

but is there any problem while getting back to US. I have valid H1 visa and my wife has valid H4 visas. Because I got information from CIC that if you are flying then stay in canada until you get your PR card and then come back to US.

Any insight or comment to this matter.

Thanks.

if ur fly to canada and landing , then they might take ur I-94 card.if u dont have valid visa in passport they might stop at US POE.
Asl0 u have to come back with in 30 days , if you dont have visa.
that is one of the most imp question they will ask u at POE driving or flying(if they did not took u r i-94 card).

Remember INS dont take ur card, if u r going by international flight . the flight authorties will take ur card.Once they took the white card , all other cards(which attached to i-797 approval) are invalid.

All these answers are from our lawyers(current US company, not my immigration consultants) So be careful.

so canus, you mean to say that if you FLY then while going out of US they will take your I-94 card and while returning to US they will give you new I-94 card and that is right.

but if you drive, you mean to say that, they are not taking I-94 card and so you won't get new while entering US.

Now here in my case my visa is valid until May 2004 and my I-94 on my I-797 is also valid until May 2004. So do you think that there will be problem while coming back to US - POE while flying.

So I am still confused with your answer. I appreciate if you please make it clear to me.

Thanks

Then no problem you can fly..

Better discuss with ur lawyer..They will guide u .the wyiil provide u the mployment verificaion letter also carry ur advance parole if u have one .unless they ask u dont show them.

I told my lawyer abt my trip..they providied all the documents.

Good luck and safe trip

by the way where are u currently????? i mean in US where do u live

thanks canus for your reply.

By the way, i am texas.

No I don't have AP as I haven't started my green card procedure here in US.

Thanks

my best sugestion is fly till US border and drive into canada.U can drive US plate rental car no problem. it is safe u can come happiy

Landing by Air

If you take a Flight from US to Canada then Airlines don’t take your I-94, going to Canada from US is treated as Domestic
Once you land at Canada Airport:
You will first face the custom department and when you inform them you are landing they tell you to go to Immigration section
You enter immigration department, you will be given a token# and then you wait with others, once your token # is announced then you go to counter # that has been announced
The Immigration officer will take your Passport and Landing papers, he will ask you to show the proof of funds, he will verify the information in Computer and will check the passport # and put a stamp in your Passport and landing paper, officer will take your photograph for PR card and will ask you to provide Canada address. Then while you exit the immigration section they will give you form for applying SIN card and other booklets free
Then you go to collect your baggage and face the custom officer, he will stamp your Goods to follow list and goods with you list and give you a printed form with your name on it
You are out of the Canada airport.
While coming by air from Canada to US the US INS is at Toronto or Vancouver Airport, you have to face the INS IN Canada at airport before boarding a flight for US, if you have valid visa and I-94 no problem for you, they will let you board the flight for US, they will just stamp your passport no new I-94 if the stay in Canada was less than 30 days, if more than 30 days you will get new I-94

Good Luck!!

Thanks ginnu for your detailed information on landing by taking flight to canada.

Could you please tell me whether you did the same procedure and when did you landed for the first time in canada.

This is for the first time I came to know from your answer that the US INS will be in canada itself and so I have to show my visa over there. So once you land in US airport then are they going to check anything.

Thanks for your help.

ginnu

Thanks for this info, it was very useful.

However, my I-485 is pending and I have EAD and AP and will be landing in Canada in the next few months, can I come back on AP and EAD??

Thanks for any info.

immi_can:
I landed by Air at Toronto Airport, I took a flight from Newark NJ, I came back after 3 days and INS officer checked H1B visa and I-94 and borded the Flight from Toronto Airport to Newrak NJ.

--
Texas: just show the AP when you come back ( keep I-485 reciept and recent 2-3 paystubs with you and show IF asked)

Thanks Ginnu, very nice of you to share your experience. Congrats on becoming a Candian PR...

by the way, how long after you took your medicals and sent any additional docs, if required, did you get your landing papers?

Before June 28th 2002

but one of my friend landed recently he took a flight from NJ and landed at Torono airport on December 6,2002, came back next day after visiting HRDC office and applied SIN

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know where i will stay

Hi Ginnu,
thanks for the informative reply.

I have two questions.

1. when they ask for the canadian address, how can we give an
exact address, when we havent found an apartment yet.

Usually we stay in a motel initially, and then look for an
apartment within a week or so,right?

or are they just asking for which city we plan to stay?

2. Do they ask for proof of employment and payslip.
I dont have a job for the past 6 months.

thanks in advance.
waitingnwaiting

My Landing exp at Toronto

Hi Everyone,

I landed at Toronto International airport on 1/4/2003 (saturday). I flew from Albany, NY by Air Canada. At Albany initially airport airline person took my I 94 but when I pointed out to him that he should not take my I 94 since I am returning within 30 days (I returned next day ie 1/5/2003, sunday) he gave it back to me.
Landed at Toronto late afternoon, whole airport was almost deserted. Went to primary custom and told him that I am immigrating, he stamped the custom form and pointed to immigration. Again immigration counter was also deserted. The lady asked for imigration papers, proof of funds (I had no cash or travellers check, only bank statements), address and phone no in Canada(gave my friends), took my picture (actually she totally forgot about the picture, I had to ask her whether she needed a picture or not, then she asked me for one and I gave her but she didn't liked it so took a new one herself). Asked me if I had brought all my stuff now all will ship later, told her later. No other questions were asked. She gave me SIN application form and some other info booklets. Then asked me to go to secondary customs. There the person saw my custom form and again asked about the stuff, gave him goods to follow list (always have a grand total in Canadian dollors at the bottom of list). He also asked the address in Canda and from where I will shipping my goods later on (US in my case). Gave me copy of goods to follow and a form.
And that was it....
Hope it helps ...
Now my questions: The immigration officer entered the canadian address I gave her in her records but she was not sure whether the PR card will be mailed or I will have to collect. She said someone might contact me about it. She sounded very confused realted to PR card. can anyhelp me understand how things are going related to PR card, will they mail it or ask me to collect. If asked to collect how do I manage to enter Canada again???
Any help will be greatly appreciated....
Thanks

Hey vibhavg.

Thanks for sharing your landing experience to all of us.

As per your question, they will mail your PR card to the address that you have provided to the immigration person at the airport. I have heard that sometimes they call the number which you have given just to verify some of the information. Sometimes they don't call, if they have all the correct information that you have given at the POE.

For landed immigrants after june 28, 2002, they are mailing the PR card to the address you have provided. You cannot collect the PR card from the office of CIC. For those who have landed before june 28, 2002, they have to collect the PR card from the office that they have assigned.

Hope this answers your question.

By the way, did you applied for SIN card. And is it necessary to open the bank account over there after landing.

Thanks.

I have two questions.

1. when they ask for the canadian address, how can we give an
exact address, when we havent found an apartment yet.
-- before landing you should ask your any reliable relative/friend in Canada the correct address with ZIP code , Apt # and you should inform him/her that you are providing his/her address for PR card, if you are unable to provide the address then you should inform CIC before 180 days of your landing about your address in Canada and you may have to again apply for PR card from Canada

Usually we stay in a motel initially, and then look for an
apartment within a week or so,right?
--- many have friends who are in Canada,you can stay in Hotel Motel but for PR card you should have some residencial address so that they can mail PR card, I dont think they will mail it to Hotel?motel or P.O.Box addreses
or are they just asking for which city we plan to stay?
-- Apartment/house #, City, Street, Province, Zip code
2. Do they ask for proof of employment and payslip.
NO, you have to provide the minimium Prof of Funds as required at the time of landing

I dont have a job for the past 6 months.

-- they dont care or ask question about Job