landing experience

Bad landing experience.

Folks;

Landed in Windsor via the Detroit/Windsor Tunnel. Here is the story

It was 7: 00 PM Saturday night, passed the tunnel. The Canadian officer asked my nationality , told him what it was and the purpose of visit. He gave me the yellow paper and directed me to the building. The fun starts here.

Met the immigration officer.

Officer: How can I help you?
Me: I am here to complete my landing process.
Officer looks at the watch and is angry): This time!
Me: Yes (Give a stare, so what?)
Officer is rude: Do you know where you are going to stay permanently
Me: Yes
Officer Interrupts before I complete my statement: Not your friend’s address.
Me (shoots back): How can you expect me to have a permanent address?
Officer: When are you moving permanently are you going back
Me: Yes I am going back and will be back soon
Officer: How soon?
Me: Don’t know need yet to find job.
Officer: How soon
Me: Two months.

The officer makes few statements that don’t make any sense and I respond to the statements.

By this time the officer gets calm and tells me that the landing process is completed and hands me a form that says that I need to fill and fax the form once I have permanent address.

I look at the form and the instructions are to fax or fill the form online. I told the officer it can be done online too, the officer did not know about it and talks to other officer and confirm it.

Finished the custom process

Turn back and make U- turn back to Detroit. The American officer was very nice let me in with no hassels.

Next morning fill the form online and also fax the form with my friends address. Got the PR card in three weeks at my friends address. He mailed me the PR card.

Will land through Port Huron/Sarnia border to complete my spouses landing process. Will see how it work and post the experience again.

This forum has helped me a lot.

-Pearl

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn back and make U- turn back to Detroit. The American officer was very nice let me in with no hassels.

Can you please tell me how did you re-enter the U.S---with visa or Advance Parole. Did the U.S immigration officer stamp you passport? Did they ask you about your canadian immigrate landing? Thanks

I had visa stamped on my passpoort, the officer did not stamp my passport and yes the officer asked about the prupose of visit to canada and the other usual questions

A few landing questions

I am planning to complete my landing in May from US, spend a couple of days in Toronoto and head back to my home country for a couple of months before I start school in August.

My questions are

1)Can I show funds equivalent to 10 K as Bank Statements from my home country with a statement from the Bank Manager with the equivalent dollar amount?

2) Is the requirement to show equivalent of 10K CAD applicable only for bankers check and other cash instruments? I have read in the forum before that if I have more than 10 K it might cause some issues?

3)If I show the admission letter of the school at the port of landing, will I be asked to show funds on how I will support the studies?

:confused:

Any one landed at Jan received the PR card?

Hi, All

I landed at Jan 16th this year at Windsor. until today I have not received my PR card. anyone got it? the telephone said 16 weeks is normal. I did get my SIN card within two weeks after landing. that was quick.

since I need to visit US soon using my 30days re-validation of my H4 status, can I get the re-entry document for Canada from Buffulo realy fast?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
they did not ask me to show any fund

mba_apper said:
I am planning to complete my landing in May from US, spend a couple of days in Toronoto and head back to my home country for a couple of months before I start school in August.

My questions are

1)Can I show funds equivalent to 10 K as Bank Statements from my home country with a statement from the Bank Manager with the equivalent dollar amount?

2) Is the requirement to show equivalent of 10K CAD applicable only for bankers check and other cash instruments? I have read in the forum before that if I have more than 10 K it might cause some issues?

3)If I show the admission letter of the school at the port of landing, will I be asked to show funds on how I will support the studies?

:confused:

Landing Info

Hello texancanadian,

Could you please post your recent landing experiences. I reside in TX and I am planning to fly to Pearson Intl, Toronto for landing in a couple of weeks and I was wondering how easy/hard the process was for you as you had mentioned in your posting that you will be landing in the last week of April.

Thanks in advance..

Regards,
Josh.

Landing Experience:

We flew from Houston to Toronto via Charlotte, NC. At Houston we could not get our boarding passes through the automatic kiosk near the ticket counter, but had to go at the counter where our passport was looked at (not sure if they looked at the visa). While boarding the connecting flight from Charlotte to Toronto Pearson again our passport was looked at (not visa). The I-94 was not taken in either place.

In our flight to Toronto we were given Canadian Customs declaration form. You only need to fill one form per family. We declared that we were carrying more than CAD $ 10,000. One thing to note in the customs declaration form is not to fill out the sections for "Returning Resident" or "Visitor" since you will be neither - just leave it blank.

The day we landed at Toronto airport it was very cold and rainy. We went through the corridors to where all the immigration counters are. At the counter we told the officer that we were new immigrants and he asked us to go to another area at the back of the counters. Once we entered that area we were asked to take a seat and were called in by the Immigration Officer to her cubicle. Our immigration officer was a Desi lady(could have been Indian or Paki but she must have lived in Canada all her life). She must not have been more than 25 yrs old. She was nice and polite, asked to see all our documents, asked us about our funds (did not see physical checks - but did ask us the breakdown as in how much in cash/cashiers check/travelers check/statement etc. She even entered all the financial details in her computer.). She then asked me to confirm my profession ( just a point of advice - please tell her the exact profession from their list that you listed in your original application ex if your job title is Manufacturing engineer but you listed instead profession as Mechanical engineer in application, then say Mechanical engineer). She then asked us for address we will be staying in Canada for our PR cards. She said my photograph on the landing document wasnt good because I wear eyeglasses and the light was reflecting in my glasses so she retook the photos for both me and my wife. She also asked us if we had any change in family composition (any kids etc) since our visas were applied for. She then took our signatures and signed the COPR form and stamped our passports.

We then went to Customs. While going through customs we passed a booth where we were handed a guide called "Welcome to Canada" and SIN application forms. When we reached customs we informed the officer that we were new landed immigrants. We had painstaking created 2 copies of the "Goods to follow list" along with detailed photos of all Jewelry and values of all items. We had included electronics and car information. Officer was mainly concerned about when we planned to bring in the stuff - he said that we need to keep these documents until we think that the very last item we wanted to bring is in. Officer then stamped all the documents and all the photos. However I did see some ppl were having a hard time at the customs counter. One general point I noted is that Canada loves to tax duty, and they are very strict with Alcohol and Tobacco.

We stayed in Toronto for a week. We applied for SIN cards in HRDC Canada's offices- which was an easy process - you just need to show landing papers, passport and give them the address . We opened bank accounts. We tried applying for OHIP card (health insurance) but were unsuccessful as they wanted to see a lease or utility bill or a bank statement. They have become strict on the OHIP Card.

On the return journey we were told that we would have to check in 3 hrs before the flight so as to give adequate time for security and immigration. Since we had an early morning flight that pretty much meant waking up in the middle of the night to go to the airport. We had to stand in line for a while since US immigration (yes you clear your US immigration at Toronto airport) didnt open their doors before 6 AM. Immigration officer asked me why I had come to Canada ( I said for landing as a Canadian PR). Then asked me what kind of work I do in US. He specifically asked to see visa ( so I'm not sure if 30 day revalidation works by air). I showed him my visa as it was in an older passport that was attached to the new one. He asked us for fingerprinting and retina scan. No stamping in passport by US or Canadian authorities on exit.

Next came the crazy part. When going through Canadian security they were checking every bag of every passenger. That's right no random checking but checking every darn bag of every person. They make you open each and every bag and they do a brief search regardless of age, nationality or anything. This took a while because they were asking even 5 yrs old to do body search and opening their bag (they were very thorough). I guess Canada doesnt want its soil used for any stupid activities against the US.Not sure if this was done only on my flight or for all flights.

Overall opinion on Ontario, Canada. I am comparing to Texas

Advantages

You feel free. You feel like you can do anything you want as a PR. No one to stop you because of immigration status etc.
Desis are very well integrated into society. At least in Toronto I have seen Indians in govt jobs, police, immigration etc. I have not seen desis as integrated into the mainstream anywhere in the US. The week I was there they had a big Baisakhi celebration in Toronto and all major politicians (including Prime Minister Martin, opposition leader Harper etc were there courting voters. Doubt I would ever see that in US)
Good social safety net - free medical (but not pharmacy or dental), good Unemployment insurance, interest free loans to study after 1 yr of residence, 1 yr paid maternity leave for ladies etc.
It is safer as there are not that many guns on the streets. Crime rate is much lower.
Government gives a child tax credit (aprox $ 250- $ 300) per child to offset the cost of day care irrespective of income.
Good public transportation.
Public school education is generally better than US and of higher standard.
Ability to sponsor parents and family directly without waiting for citizenship.
All US TV programs and goods available. Closest to living like US outside US.

Disadvantages.

Climate sucks for 7-8 months in a year. I would have thought that in end April it would be warm, but it was raining and cold. It is only relatively warm from May -September. January/Feb are the worst.
Expensive. We found housing very expensive when compared to Texas. Of course compared to California/NY etc some ppl may find it cheaper. I think we are blessed and spoilt living in Texas. Apart from cost we didnt like the layout/looks of houses there. Condo's are there but they have society charge and found it expensive for the size. Maybe it feels more expensive since the US dollar is very weak now.
Taxes are high. Sales tax is 15% compared to 8 % in Texas.
Mortgage interest payment is not tax deductible.
All US chains are there but prices are much higher - especially food.
Gas is twice as expensive as in Texas. Auto insurance is a killer, at times 3 X what ppl paid in US.
Smaller economy, therefore less competition then US.
They have Wal Mart but no Super Wal Mart :)

Bottom line I thought I could get the same lifestyle I could afford in the US with a 30% pay cut from my current salary. So though I would still prefer to try and stay in the US, Canada is a very good alternative. It is not just a backup, its a great backup.

Landing at Windsor

I’m going to land at Windsor on May 18th. I appreciate if anyone can share some of your landing experiences at Windsor recently.

texancanadian

Congratulations! BTW, it sounds like you dealt with the same desi lady as I did at Pearson airport.

I agree with your overall assessment of Canada, especially the sense of being unshackled from the chains of indentured servitude in the US. For people who may be on the fence, I second your view that Canada is a great back-up.

Having said that, at what stage of GC process are you in? I moved to Boston to a new employer recently and will be applying for LC through PERM in the next couple of weeks.

SIN Office - Windsor

I am planning go canada (windsor). anyone can give SIN Office location in Windsor.

Thanks,

What should I do

Can anybody help with our situation?

We planed to land during Memorial Weekend through Niagara falls and spend about one week there, then come back from Montreal.

Our I-140 was approved and I-485s are pending. Both of us are on H-1B. We changed status from F to H, so we do not have the H stamped on the passport, we have the I-94 issued by INS. We didn't apply AP coz at that time we did not think there is any problem coming back with a valid H. And now it is too late to apply for the AP.

My question is:

Does the pending I-485 affect us from coming back to US, with I-140 approved. In another word, does the valid H enough to come back? At the border, do they ask US immigration questions?

I heard of that reenter US might be a problem without AP if I-485 is pending.

Gurus, please help. Thanks a lot.

Hi Gretzky

My labor was applied under RIR in August 2001. Texas Workforce Commission approved it and sent it to DOL- Dallas in March 2002. Per my understanding DOL-Dallas rejected it as RIR and kicked it back (kickback) to Texas. Didnt hear absolutely anything for 2.5 yrs until November 2004 when Enterject which was a private contractor for the Texas Workforce Commission contacted my employer to find out if they were still interested in continuing with my case to which the company responded positively in December 2004. Then TWC cancelled Enterject's contract so my best guess is that it must have moved over to Dallas - BEC on April 22 whcih was the last day all states should have sent open cases. I havent heard anything from anyone since (no 45 day letters or anything).
I have no plans to leave my current firm in the immediate future, plus I really feel that its best to wait and see what happens with the old process v/s the new PERM. From what I have heard and read not a single case has been aproved under PERM and I am in no mood to take chances by filing under PERM and losing my PD (which is in 2001 and not affected by the EB3 retrogression for Inidian citizens). Just hoping and praying that the labor gets approved soon.
Take care.

PR Card by Mail

Hi All,

I landed in Toronto a week back. The landing process was smooth. Did my immigration first, showed them two cashiers check for $5000 each, no questions asked. Subsequently did customs. showed them the goods to follow and got it stamped.

I did go back to immigration to clarify if they needed a photograph for the PR card. I didnt realize that they would simply scan the photograph from COPR.

Applied my SIN at the Scarboroug office. There was 2 hour long queue!!!

The lady at the immigration mentioned that I would receive the PR card in mail at my friends address in 4 weeks. Is there a way to track the status online or via phone?

Landed at Windsor

I landed windsor last week. it was very smooth. they asked bank statment and check. no question asked. I asked do you need more photos. they said no.

I went to custom department. they told you do not have anything declare you do need anything for us.... (is there anything wrong ????)

Landing Experience At Niagara Falls, NY

We landed by road at Niagara Falls, NY. We went via the Rainbow bridge to complete our landing procedures.

While leaving US, US customs asked me if I was carrying any cash. I told them I had around $9K US ($3K cash + $6k Cashiers's check) for Canadian landing purpose. They then asked my nationality, visa status in US and such. After this they wanted to go through our rental car. They also insisted on counting our cash and looking at the cashier's check. They finally said sure you can go ahead.

Canadian side on the other hand was a stark contrast. As soon as we pulled up the officer there looked at our visa and gave us a yellow slip and told us to go inside to immigration and customs. There was nobody at the immigration section. The officers there were very friendly and courteous. After looking through our COPR they said they will have to retake the photo. They felt photo in COPR would not scan well on to the card. They completed the COPR paper work. They asked if we had funds. I told them I had $9K US. They said that's fine. We gave address of my wife's family friend in Toronto. They did ask their phone number, so keep that handy. They stapled one of copies of COPR to our passport and told us that it would take approximately 4 weeks to get the card. Apparently the cards are printed at Sydney, Australia go figure:)

We applied for SIN at the Ottawa office. We had to go to Ottawa to get our H1/H4 visas stamped there. Again there was no body at the SIN office. They lady there was sort of rude to us. She gruffly answered our questions. But it seemed like she knew what she was doing. She told us to expect the SIN package in 4 weeks as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Sydney, NS

Dude thats Sydney, NS and not Sydney, NSW

Sydney, NS : In Nova Scotia, Canada

Sydney, NSW: In New South Wales, Australia

easy to get confused but rest assured the cards come from Canada.
Thanks