landing experience

One more question

sapota1 and gretzky

Do we need to fill the IMM 5444 when we are landing or we need to bring a filled one with us?

thanks
Kb

Urgent Help Needed

I want to ask that we landed to canada in the month of december 2004.After that at my friends address we received the sin cards with in threeweeks.After that we received only my wife's PR card and for me and my son they said that photo specification didn't meet the requirements.So they called us for photo shoot in february but we couldn't make to go there that time.We are planning to go this friday.Is it ok to go any monday or friday for photo session.

Please help me with this.Your help will be highly appreciated .

Help! - Receiving PR Cards, SINs at Toronto address

Hello Folks,

We are planning to land in Toronto around mid-April,
and come back to US within a week (I am an Indian
national, working in the US currently).

We have a predicament regarding receiving PR Cards, and SINs
at a Canadian address, since we have no relatives/friends in Toronto
(or in Canada, for that matter).

Any folks in a similar situation?

Could any of you perhaps suggest any alternatives?

Are there any folks in this forum who wouldn't mind accepting
the PR cards, and SINs on our behalf and mailing it to our US address
(expenses reimbursed, of course)?

Any responses are greatly appreciated,
Mark

P.S. My email address: markivan9@yahoo.com

Jeevan,
I was in the same situation. I had to go for a photo. Fortunately I made the date and got my PR card. You can go any Friday or Monday after that. But you cannot take a commercial carrier.You need to drive. I called CIC and they told me that I cannot use rental car.(Please see my previous post describing my experiemnce). . I did anyways and did not have any problem.
Metaman

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,
When you land in Canada get a PO Box from Canadian post and pay $60 to have your mail forwarded to US address. You can update your address online at CIC web site.
Metaman

look in Cana Post web site.

Hi Metaman,

But I heard that we have give the address to the immigration officer at the landing. So by that time we cannot open the PO box. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

metaman said:
Mark,
When you land in Canada get a PO Box from Canadian post and pay $60 to have your mail forwarded to US address. You can update your address online at CIC web site.
Metaman

look in Cana Post web site.

gc2121, You are absolutely right. Unless you update your mailing address right away as metaman mentioned. One could aslo explore the possibilities to get a PO Box online before hand.

Landing at the Peace Arch, Vancouver border and H1, H4 visa stamping experience

We landed at the Peace Arch, Vancouver border last weekend and got our passports stamped (second H1B, H4) at the US consulate. The Canadian landing formalities and US visa stamping process were pretty smooth. We rented a car from Seattle and drove to Vancouver.

Canadian PR Landing
At Immigration the guy asked for - passports, COPRs, and an address. He also asked for the amount of fund we are carrying. He did not ask or wish to see the proof of fund. We signed the COPR and he gave us a copy of the COPR. There was no line at the Immigration and the whole process took less than 10 minutes for two people.

At Customs, the guy asked for a copy of the copr given by the Immigration, GTFL (goods to follow list), and a list of goods we were carrying. He stamped a copy of both the lists and gave me the copy, along with a Customs form that I signed. The whole process took less than 5 minutes.

The wait time to enter Canada at the border was around 30 minutes, as there were many people, mainly Canadian and American citizens crossing the border during the weekend.

H1, H4 stamping at the US consulate
For H1, H4 re-stamping at the US consulate in Vacouver, our experience was consistent with what others had to say in this forum.

The visa officer asked for recent paystubs along with the usual documents - 156, 157, employment letter, and 797, that were already submitted at the cashier's counter where you pay the fees. He asked for my job duties. I felt that he sort of already knew about my job duties. The whole interview was around 2-3 minutes and we were done. Before the interview at another counter in the same room, we were finger-printed.

I did have to pay the reciprocity fee even though I landed in Canada a day before, as the guy said that I have not lived in Canada. So, the morale of the story, carry extra cash when you go for stamping or landing or at the poe.

Coming back to the US: The wait time to enter the border was around 40 minutes. We did have to come out of our car and stand in line in the building. We did not have to fill out any form. The POE guy printed out our new I94s with right dates on them and charged $12 for it. Again, carry extra cash. I was not prepared for it either.

On my background, I'm from India with a US degree.

Vancouver is really a beautiful place. Also, we felt that it's one the best places to raise a family. If we get a job we would love to move to Vancouver.. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This experience is not a legal advice.

Hi Proas999

Hi,

Did you take any appointment for the H1 stamping from US Consulate or it was just walk in.

Thanks,

Planning to Land by road (Detorit) In April 2005

I am planning to drive Canada by Detroit (Windsor) in April 2005. I am just going and coming back on same day. Is there problem?

I will planning to apply SIN number in Windsor but giving address for friend home in Toronto. ? is there any problem ?

Anyone have suggestion.

I will enter back to USA by AP.

bhand11683 said:
Did they write "Permanent Resident of Canada" on your Visas or not

Hi bhand,
If you are asking me, they did not write "Permanent Resident of Canada" on my visa. They just stamped my passport with a stamp saying "Immigration Canada", with the date. The guy did write one number that refers to my copr, I guess.

gc212 said:
Hi,

Did you take any appointment for the H1 stamping from US Consulate or it was just walk in.

Thanks,
Hi gc212,

Yes, I did make an appointment. I'm not sure if you can do it otherwise. Please double check.

Rent Car

I just called AVIS to rent car. I am planning to drive in APRIL. AVIS told me Canada do not allow rental car inside.

Is that true ?

Thanks,

How about when a person land in Canada what the Canadian immigration officer write or stamp on the passport?
Does anybody know a link to how the Canadian immigration visa stamps "Immigration Canada", looks like?

wheretogo said:
I just called AVIS to rent car. I am planning to drive in APRIL. AVIS told me Canada do not allow rental car inside.

Is that true ?

Thanks,

They may be right, but I rented a car and landed. The Canadian immigration and customs people knew that I drove a rental car, but nobody said anything negative about it. Try other car rental companies if Avis does not allow.

landing directly at Montreal?

Hi, all

My family applied the federal immigration. and I landed at Windsor earlier this year by myself.

Now I moved to the Montreal. Can my wife come to land at Montreal directly?

thanks

Landed immigrant on 01st april 2005.

proas999 said:
They may be right, but I rented a car and landed. The Canadian immigration and customs people knew that I drove a rental car, but nobody said anything negative about it. Try other car rental companies if Avis does not allow.

I want to share my landing experience with you all. I travelled to Buffalo on the 31st of March. On the 1st of March I crossed the rainbow bridge at niagara. There were about 3 cars ahead of me. I approached the guard at the post and told him that We are first time landing Immigrants. He gave us a yellow piece of paper and and asked us to park our vehicle by the immigration office next to the guards post. We parked and went inside the immigration office. It was about 10 AM. The canadian immigration office was a lady, quite courteous and took our copr's and asked for statement of funds. I showed my bank statement. THe lady finished up the paper work and in about 20 Minutes and sent us to the customs desk. I had written down the goods to follow list which the customs officer had asked for. He stamped the goods to follow list and gave them back to us after filling out the rest of the form. Customs officer also asked us if there is vehicle that I will be taking to canada and I said No. No furthur questions asked.

On the way back to United states, The guard asked me to show my I-94 and How long Did I stay in canada. I said two days and Handed my I-94. Since My i-94 was expired. He sent me upstairs to the immigration Office where I told the officer that I have AP. He processed our papers in about half hour and let us in.

We travelled by a rented car from Avis. Avis did not ask me if I was travelling to Canada. I did not tell them that I will be travelling to canada. I rented and returned the car with out any issues from AVIS.

In the begining of this thread, I have seen that I94 has been revoked by Canadian Immigration Officer at the time of entry. What is alternative for that if it is revoked. I will be landing in next week and am on 6thyear of H1B.
I have a valid visa of my earlier employer stamped on my passport and changed my job last year. Visa is valid till Feb 2006. If my I94 is revoked, will I get a new I94 at the time of re-entry into USA. Should I have to go for visa stamping for my current employer ? Please share your experience.