Landed Safely

Raj009

Registered Users (C)
I had a pretty decent landing experience.The immigration procedure took around 25 minutes.I was able to get the room which Ray has mentioned.I wish to thank Ray for his help.I travelled by air from SFO to Toronto in Air Canada

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations!!!

Please post the EXP
1 You took a Flight from US to Toronto, DID Canada immigration Take your I-94 or asked any question for H1B visa stamp on your passport if you have.
2 Did you only showed your US bank statement as proof of funds or took cashier Check? any questions asked?
3 How much luggage you had with you at the time of landing?
4 Did the US INS allowed you with the same I-94 to US from Toronto (if it was not taken by Canada immigration in Toronto)
5 What are the questions asked by INS at Toronto airport when you take a flight for US?
Thanks in advance

Here is my Simple Landing Experience by Road

Here is my safe landing experience guys.

We reached Buffalo by air on Saturday morning (11 am). It was a very windy day ( 40 mph) with snow forecast. Rented a car and drove through Rainbow Bridge ( Thanks tt_tt….based on your advice, I switched the destination to Buffalo… originally it was for Detroit ).
Within 30 minutes we were at the Border. The US Customs just waved their hands to pass through ( there was no question….. they didn’t even come out of their booth to look at us)
Then we reached the Canada Booth.
Question : Where do you live?
Answer : I have landing papers with me ( my foolish answer… not to the question…I was confused whether to say where I am currently living in US or where I am going to live in canada)
Question : Where do you live?
Answer (my 6 year old daughter answered): We live in XXXX state in USA which is in East coast.
Question : Do you have landing papers for all the four of you.
Answer : Yes. ( I gave the papers )
Question : Who are the other members in the Car?
Answer : My wife, my son, my daughter.
Question : Please give all the passports
        I gave all the Passports.
He told me to Park the car and go to the Building meant for Landed immigrants. There were some Customs guys in front of the building. They told us to go inside. No questions at all.

Then we went into the building. There was nobody except the officials. We went to one guy. He took my landing paper.
Question : Please give all your passports.
I gave all the passports.
Question: Could you give the address in Canada?.
I gave the address of “Best Western Hotel” in Toronto.
Question : Do you have the Bank statement
Answer : Yes. I do. ( I produced...He noted the amount and returned it to me)
Question : Is it in US Dollars.
Answer : Yes.
Question : Where is your I-94.
Answer : I gave all the I-94 and told him “I have to go back to US to complete all the formalities and also my son is going to school there and I cannot move until his school year is over. So I don’t want my I-94 to be taken at this time.
Question: I did not say that I want to take your I-94. I just want to make sure whether you have a valid I-94. That’s all. Thanks.
( He filled up in the landed form
  Item 15 : The address I gave in Toronto
  Item 41 : By Auto / By Land
  Item 46 : Niagara Falls R-B )
He filled this up in all the forms and told us to sign with date )
This took us just about 10 minutes. He stapled this to the passport.

Then we were sent to the Customs Counter. ( just adjacent counter in the same room )
That lady saw the passport.
Question : What kind of car you drive?
Answer : Camry
Question : Which year ?
Answer : Yr 2000.
Question : Do you have the title documents?
Answer : Yes. I do. But I came in a rented car and will bring my car during the next trip. We are not done with everything in US.
Question: Ohh…. OK… What will be the value of the car.
Answer : Appxtly 14000 US $.
Question : Do you have a list of goods you propose to bring.
Answer : yes. I do. ( Gave 2 copies of the list I made )
  ( she made some calculation…. I don’t know…. Added up all of them and converted into Can #s and assigned some value. Told me to sign in that paper/ form she filled in and said “ You need to bring this when you come with all the goods ..Okay !!!!”)
I said : OKAAAAAY!!!!! What next…. To whom should we go to?
She said : You are all set … welcome to Canada.. Bye.

Then we went to Niagara Falls and spent a day there. Went to Toronto, stayed there for another day and came back to Buffalo border on Tuesday morning (ie) 03/26….it was snowing badly in Toronto.

At the US Border .. Booth
Questions : Which country citizenship you all have.
Answer : India
Questions : Could you down the shutters of the car behind.
    ( I did …. Then he asked each of my family members name and asked their relationship to me… son, daughter and wife )
He was looking at the passports for fairly a long time… more than what I thought he should… He told us to go to the building…said “ your sons I-94 needs some correction as the date of expiry in his I-94 is different from the date in your I-94”.
He himself took all the passorts to the building. Then I pulled the car. Went to the second floor of the building and patiently waited for about 25 minutes. Then a lady called out “Indian Passports”
We went to the counter and she wrote the correct date in both my kids I-94 and did not charge anything. We drove straight to Buffalo Airport.
Thanks tt_tt. Many of yours and others input really helped.
Rgds,

Experience

Natraj has given a great description regarding his landing.I would like to post my experience in a concise manner.I took a flight from SFO to Toronto.While landing I gave all the documents including Cashiers check and bank documents.Canadian authorities did not ask my US documents.I had only two small bags with me and prepared a detail goods to follow list.While comming back INS gave me a new I94 because my old I94 was outdated.They did ask my H1B document.Overall the process was pretty cool.
I have one question.Can any one of you guys let me know whether the new law IRPA will be implemented.If implemented will it be ok to stay out of Canada for more than 183 days(for a person landed recently).Appreciate your comments.