Laid Off

Natureli

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,

I got laid off almost a year ago :( Should I be employeed to apply for citizenship. Does having employment makes a difference in the decision process for INS

Thanks

to JoeF

JoeF -

Are you the guy who applied i-485 around 1999-07 to NSC and post lots of helpful threads on "immigration support" website. I seemed to remember that. My username was "NSC9908" at that time.

I am glad to meet here after ~5 years :)

gatorcountry said:
get a job

Hi gatorcountry,

Are you saying it is better to have a job before applying for citizenship or are you implying that I am lazy and staying at home without looking for a job? Either way thanks for your input.

JoeF: thanks for your information, I never looked at it from that angle since I have been the breadwinner all this time. My wife got the GC through me.

Be prepared about questions on how you support yourself without a job. Also prepare yourself with all the tax returns. You will be asked lot of questions to see whether you are on welfare and drawing benefits while you are unemployed. They want to definitely know whether you are a burden to US govt. I dont know what is the bearing on the outcome but definitely they want to know all the details of your support.

I'm not saying that you're lazy but it always looks better to have a job. My immigration officer asked me questions about my job and my business card was attached by way of paperclip to my passport. It always looks better to be working because if the officer who interviews you percieves you as being unproductive he might make your life difficult just to be a jerk. Remember, make the process as smooth as possible by eliminating the need for them to ask follow up questions. Stick to the rule of common sense........

Good luck

I read somewhere employment is not an issue to get citizenship.

But the problem is your GC is employment based. They can question you

1) Wether you worked for the sponsoring employer after you got GC. How long? Whether you resigned or got laid off. Getting GC means to work for the sponsoring employer in future.

2) Why didn't you got another job (though there is no requirement that one has to be employed all the time after GC).

3) How did you manage expenses for so long? They may ask you to show the income and savings and tax returns. If you can show proof that one have enough savings and need not to work, I fell there might not be issue in getting citizenshp.

In your case, if your wife is working and you are depending on her, then it may not be a problem. Still, it may not look nice, as you got your GC through employment and not working for such long periods of time, though this cannot be raised as an issue in getting citizenship.

You have to show support from someone, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes my wife is working now and I am taking care of my child (also studying and applying for jobs). I am no dot-com millionaire, just getting by a shoestring income :D . Is it alright just for my wife to apply for citizenship now and for me to apply later when I get a job? Will INS quiz her as to why I have not applied? Can this create a problem?

Thanks all, for your valuable information.