Labor Substitution question, (UnitedNation, ETA and others).

Con_File_Feb

Registered Users (C)
I have applied for 140 on a substituted labor in January, but haven’t seen 750A. I know that my skill set is not completely matching, they are kind of overlapping.
And I140 say’s
Memo of Professional w/Adv Deg or of Exceptional Ability Sec 203(b)(2)

1. Do immigration people will compare each skill set on labor with my resume? My skill set overlaps little bit. not like 100% match.
2. I have 4 years of Engineering degree from India in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Have 5 ½ years of Experience in Software as programmer Analyst.
3. I work on hourly basics, how should I check that with salary with labor. If I get $37/hr ($76960/year), what is minimum / maximum that can be there on original labor.
4. What are the other things, I should ask my lawyer. I doubt he will share that information with me but I want to try.

It had been already late, I want to clearly know about my case and please help me to understand better and please help me in making most important decision. If this does not work I am planning to change employer, since my 6 years term on H1 is going to complete soon.

My EAD/AP approved and FB also done.

UN can you answer this?

One of my friend wants to use AC21. Say for example if at the time of labor you were working as an UNIX administrator, and if you are now working in Java, would that cause a problem using AC21?

One cannot keep working on the same skill set when the labor was applied with this economic situations? Correct me if I am wrong.

As long as he works in Computer Industry would that help? United Nations, can you answer this?

Want GC Soon said:
One of my friend wants to use AC21. Say for example if at the time of labor you were working as an UNIX administrator, and if you are now working in Java, would that cause a problem using AC21?
If you use AC21, you should have the same job title or a similar job title as defined by DOL (I dont know what a similar job title is and where to find the description .. so dont ask me) and must have the same job duties as described in the labor. Usually for technical jobs duties would be something like "analyze and design .... blah blah ... using Java, Unix etc". What I mean to say is that the duties are same irrespective of technology, but many times technologies are mentioned in the job duty / responsibility as defined in labor. So you have to be careful that the new company will write that for you if you get a NOID in support of your application
One cannot keep working on the same skill set when the labor was applied with this economic situations? Correct me if I am wrong.
I agree .. but USCIS does not see it that way. Here what is important is what the law is and the law is that you can only change to a "similar profession". To be on the safe side change to a job where the employer can give you the same title and same job duties on paper .. what you actually do does not matter. Once you get your GC, open a Gas Station .. who cares.
As long as he works in Computer Industry would that help? United Nations, can you answer this?

Last edited by a moderator:
unitednations said:
Originally Posted by Con_File_Feb
I have applied for 140 on a substituted labor in January, but haven’t seen 750A. I know that my skill set is not completely matching, they are kind of overlapping.
And I140 say’s

1. Do immigration people will compare each skill set on labor with my resume? My skill set overlaps little bit. not like 100% match.

You need to be a little more specific. In my case, when I received my previous employment letters, a couple of the companies would not give duties performed in the letter (some north american companies have policy to only confirm dates of employment and title).

2. I have 4 years of Engineering degree from India in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Have 5 ½ years of Experience in Software as programmer Analyst.

If you somehow don't qualify for eb2, you could re-file in eb3. Are all 5.5 years after you got your degree and before priority date of labor and not gained with sponsoring employer?

3. I work on hourly basics, how should I check that with salary with labor. If I get $37/hr ($76960/year), what is minimum / maximum that can be there on original labor.

This would be mainly used for ability to pay. Since this is substitute labor the amounts paid to the original person would be used for those years after priority date and up until the time he quit. Company would then get credit for amounts paid to you from the time other person quit.

Not really sure how to answer your question. I can't tell if you are getting paid the proferred wage because you don't have the labor certification.

4. What are the other things, I should ask my lawyer. I doubt he will share that information with me but I want to try.

Ask for requirements from labor item 14 and 15 and what the proferred wage is? Also, you can file a freedom of information request on the 140/485 and you will be able to see for yourself.

It had been already late, I want to clearly know about my case and please help me to understand better and please help me in making most important decision. If this does not work I am planning to change employer, since my 6 years term on H1 is going to complete soon.

It looks like you are eligible for 7th year extension. That is labor greater then 365 days, 140/485 filed and less than six months before 6 years expire on h-1b. You should go ahead and get 7th year extension.

Originally Posted by Con_File_Feb
And I140 say’s

You need to be a little more specific. In my case, when I received my previous employment letters, a couple of the companies would not give duties performed in the letter (some north american companies have policy to only confirm dates of employment and title).

I have experience letters starting from first one as software programmer, Software Engineer Senior programmer Analyst, Technical Consultant, Programmer with Java and other technologies.
I did not check the labor of substitute, but my lawyer told it is for programmer Analyst. So my question is that will Emigration official check each experience letter and just search for word programmer analyst or else it is ok if designation says software engineer or just programmer?

If you somehow don't qualify for eb2, you could re-file in eb3. Are all 5.5 years after you got your degree and before priority date of labor and not gained with sponsoring employer?
I already applied under EB2, so you mean in case of REF there would be chance to change to EB3, without outright denial, is that true?

This would be mainly used for ability to pay. Since this is substitute labor the amounts paid to the original person would be used for those years after priority date and up until the time he quit. Company would then get credit for amounts paid to you from the time other person quit.

Not really sure how to answer your question. I can't tell if you are getting paid the proferred wage because you don't have the labor certification.

I am little confused at this one, I wanted to know if my salary is $76k/year working as hourly employee, what is expected salary should on the labor. So that I am not below that line, so that they will deny my case?
Is there any calculation we can do? Is that true to say that labor should not have salary more than $76k/year ? since I should have minimum of that salary or above?

Ask for requirements from labor item 14 and 15 and what the proferred wage is? Also, you can file a freedom of information request on the 140/485 and you will be able to see for yourself.
I have already filed for FIOA, I do not know, how much is the excepted waiting time ?

It looks like you are eligible for 7th year extension. That is labor greater then 365 days, 140/485 filed and less than six months before 6 years expire on h-1b. You should go ahead and get 7th year extension.

I was in great dilemma, whether to stay with same company or move to different one and start fresh again with new labor rather than substituted one, where I have to match every thing correctly.
Actually my H1 would expire in Feb 2006, so I would like to apply for new labor before Feb 2005. if I am not sure, if my case is fine with substituted labor. I already got my EAD/AP and done FB’ing.

It is taking so long for EB2, if there was some decision or some movement in EB2 cases I would have got some hope or I can make a right decision.
Do you have any idea, or guesses, when EB2 will start moving again?

Want GC Soon said:

Hmmm no reply yet? I will reply you in other thread after 15 min - let me finish tea. I guess it is not too much when compared with a wait of 24 hours that has passed already.

Hi Friends,
I called my lawyer, and he says that 750A says following things,
1. Item 9 – Programmer Analyst
2. Item 12 – 60k/year
3. Item 13 – Analysis, design, development with Oracle, PL/SQL, PowerBuilder.
4. Item 14 – Bachelor degree and 5 years experience or Masters with 2 years experience.

With regards to this, I have following things. (Do you think it will be ok ?)
1. Regarding item 9 – My experience letters says Programmer analyst and sometimes software engineer.
2. Regarding item 12 – mine is 76k/year
3. Regarding item 13 – Analysis, design etc mainly with Java and other technologies but also oracle and PL/SQL to access not my main area.
Will they check this very accurately each one, my lawyer says they do not look so much, even for original people change their skill set but you still do analysis and design etc.
I do not have experience with PowerBuilder.
4. Regarding Item 14 – I have bachelor’s degree 4 years with 5 years of experience.

Can you please, give some analysis on this, if it is ok or you see any problems, which can be corrected etc.
Thank You all for your time and support.

Con_File_Feb said:
Hi Friends,
I called my lawyer, and he says that 750A says following things,
1. Item 9 – Programmer Analyst
2. Item 12 – 60k/year
3. Item 13 – Analysis, design, development with Oracle, PL/SQL, PowerBuilder.
4. Item 14 – Bachelor degree and 5 years experience or Masters with 2 years experience.

With regards to this, I have following things. (Do you think it will be ok ?)
1. Regarding item 9 – My experience letters says Programmer analyst and sometimes software engineer.
2. Regarding item 12 – mine is 76k/year
3. Regarding item 13 – Analysis, design etc mainly with Java and other technologies but also oracle and PL/SQL to access not my main area.
Will they check this very accurately each one, my lawyer says they do not look so much, even for original people change their skill set but you still do analysis and design etc.
I do not have experience with PowerBuilder.
4. Regarding Item 14 – I have bachelor’s degree 4 years with 5 years of experience.

Can you please, give some analysis on this, if it is ok or you see any problems, which can be corrected etc.
Thank You all for your time and support.
OK, here is the deal ...
If Education says "Masters of Science or Bachelors of Science with 5 years" and Experience says "2 years" then:
1. You require Bachelors + 7 years experience as of Labor Priority Date.
OR
1. Masters + 2 years experience as of Labor Priority Date.
And I am speaking this from experience. It is a common misconception that where in labor it says Bachelors + 5 years in leiu of masters, you do not require the additional experience in Experience if you have Bachelors only.

My 140 was recently denied. Similar labor education and experience requirements and same job description .. USCIS wrote in the Denial letter that I need to have Bachelors + 7 years or Masters + 2 years as of my Labor PD to qualify. I have a Masters degree and education evaluation was not submitted, so I was able to file MTR (I dont know the result of it yet .. it may still be denied ...).

So in my opinion, you are not good. You may want to check my case history given in my signature link ...

Hi Friends,
To clarify this I called my lawyer again and he says the labor clears tell that it should be
Bachelor degree with 5 years experience
OR
Master’s degree with 2 years of experience.

Do you think, even now I should have 7 years of experience after bachelor. Please clarify this. It will help me a lot.
Thanks for all your time.

unitednations said:
dazzling's case is indeed a good one for you to follow. especially the part of you needing seven years of experience.

You may want to discuss with your lawyer to re-file in eb3 or wait for RFE.

The difference for you with regards to the seven years of work experience whether it is eb2 or eb3 is significant. If it is in eb2 then all seven years of work experience is going to be needed to be gained after you graduated from your bachelors. However, in eb3, you can use the work experience you gained before you graduated towards the work experience requirement. In both cases the seven years of work experience is going to need to have been gained before priority date of labor. Now, if you have any relevant work experience while you were in school (computer labs, volunteer work, etc.) you better get those experience letters now

Below is an excerpt from immigration-law that discusses when the work experience has to be gained for eb2 and eb3.

immigration-law.com

The threshold requirement for academic degree and experience requirement tends to be inconsistent in reality and in the USCIS practice between EB-2 and EB-3. Unlike the EB-2 petition, in the EB-3 requirement, it has been the USCIS HQ position (even though some adjudicators in some Service Centers disagree) that when a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree is required in the labor certification, the degree requirement can be established by a combination of one or more academic "degrees." When it comes to the requirement of experience, it also has been USCIS HQ position that the experience during the period of degree program can be counted to satisfy the experience requirement in the labor certification application if the degree requirement is satisfied. This is drastically contrasted to the experience requirement in the EB-2 requiring a bachelor's degree plus 5 years of progressive experience that only counts "post-graduate" experiences. In the EB-2, the regulation uses a specific language of a bachelor's degree "followed by" the five years of progressive experience. For instance, if the labor certification application required a bachelor's degree or a master's degree, any experience during the degree program has been fairly liberally accepted by the USCIS. However, when an alternative requirement in lieu of a bachelor's degree or a master's degree is required in the labor certification application, the USCIS has interpreted the law more narrowly.

Con_File_Feb said:
Hi Friends,
To clarify this I called my lawyer again and he says the labor clears tell that it should be
Bachelor degree with 5 years experience
OR
Master’s degree with 2 years of experience.

Do you think, even now I should have 7 years of experience after bachelor. Please clarify this. It will help me a lot.
Thanks for all your time.
OK, lets do this thing - get me from your labor what is written in the following columns:
1. Section 14: Education: Grade School:
2. Section 14: Education: High school
3. Section 14: Education: College
4. Section 14: Education: College Degree Required (specify)
5. Section 14: Education: Major Field of Study
6. Section 14: Training: No Yrs.
7. Section 14: Training: No Mos.
8. Section 14: Training: Type of Training
9. Section 14: Experience: Job Offered: Yrs. Mos.
10. Section 14: Experience: Related Occupation: Yrs. Mos.
11. Section 14: Experience: Related Occupation (specify)

If youcan get what is written (if any) for each of these sections in your approved labor, I can help you.

Hi Dazzling,
Ok, I just spoke to the lawyer and here are the details.

1. Section 14: Education: Grade School: - 8 years
2. Section 14: Education: High school – 4 years
3. Section 14: Education: College – 6 years
4. Section 14: Education: College Degree Required (specify) – Master of Science or Bachelor of science with 5 years of experience
5. Section 14: Education: Major Field of Study – Master of Computers or Equivalent.
6. Section 14: Training: No Yrs. – Left blank
7. Section 14: Training: No Mos. - Left blank
8. Section 14: Training: Type of Training - Left blank
9. Section 14: Experience: Job Offered: Yrs. Mos. 2 years
10. Section 14: Experience: Related Occupation: Yrs. Mos. - Left blank
11. Section 14: Experience: Related Occupation (specify) – Left blank

Thank your time.

dazzling said:
OK, lets do this thing - get me from your labor what is written in the following columns:
1. Section 14: Education: Grade School:
2. Section 14: Education: High school
3. Section 14: Education: College
4. Section 14: Education: College Degree Required (specify)
5. Section 14: Education: Major Field of Study
6. Section 14: Training: No Yrs.
7. Section 14: Training: No Mos.
8. Section 14: Training: Type of Training
9. Section 14: Experience: Job Offered: Yrs. Mos.
10. Section 14: Experience: Related Occupation: Yrs. Mos.
11. Section 14: Experience: Related Occupation (specify)

If youcan get what is written (if any) for each of these sections in your approved labor, I can help you.

Con_File_Feb said:
Hi Dazzling,

4. Section 14: Education: College Degree Required (specify) – Master of Science or Bachelor of science with 5 years of experience
5. Section 14: Education: Major Field of Study – Master of Computers or Equivalent.

Thank your time.
OK .. your experience and education requirements are exactly same as mine.

Education requirement:
Master of Science. If you do not have MS then you need to have BS with 5 year experience in leiu of MS.

Experience Requirement:
2 years experience.

Simply put:
1. If you have MS, you need MS (education requirement) and 2 years experience (experience requirement)
2. If you have BS you need BS + 5 years (education requirement) and 2 years experience (experience requirement) = BS + 7 years experience.

The only difference would happen when the college degree required is of 4 years only. I happen to have seen the labor of another friend who got approved in EB2 with BS and 5 years. His labor had all the things as same, except the number of year in college degree was 4 and not 6. If it is 6, what I have written holds true. The minimum for EB2 is Masters or Bachelors + 5 years. But if the labor requires something more, then that is the minimum. in your labor (and also mine) the labor requires more then the minimum to file in EB2 so what is required in the labor is required.

I know what your lawyer is saying .. my company guy said the same thing and look what has happened to me. Dont do the same mistake that I did. In my denial letter it is clearly stated by the adjudicating officer that I need to have Bachelors + 7 years or Masters + 2 years to qualify for the job as per the approved labor provided by the Department of Labor. And on top of that my company guy told me that the adjudicating officer is wrong !!. I hired a new lawyer and asked her the same question (and she belongs to a very reputable law firm), and she told me the same thing that the adjudicator has written. According to her this is a common mis-concpetion in people and lawyers alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I understand better now. So, dazzling when you got the REF, what did you do? How did your send the explanation.
1. When you get the REF, if it is mentioned like that in labor can you change the category to EB3 and process your application.
2. Can you get any experience letter, which states that you were working in last 2 years of your bachelor degree will that be taken as any experience letter? Will that be counted.
Rather than waiting for denial, can you please tell me from your experience what can be done.
Thank You again.

dazzling said:
OK .. your experience and education requirements are exactly same as mine.

Education requirement:
Master of Science. If you do not have MS then you need to have BS with 5 year experience in leiu of MS.

Experience Requirement:
2 years experience.

Simply put:
1. If you have MS, you need MS (education requirement) and 2 years experience (experience requirement)
2. If you have BS you need BS + 5 years (education requirement) and 2 years experience (experience requirement) = BS + 7 years experience.

The only difference would happen when the college degree required is of 4 years only. I happen to have seen the labor of another friend who got approved in EB2 with BS and 5 years. His labor had all the things as same, except the number of year in college degree was 4 and not 6. If it is 6, what I have written holds true. The minimum for EB2 is Masters or Bachelors + 5 years. But if the labor requires something more, then that is the minimum. in your labor (and also mine) the labor requires more then the minimum to file in EB2 so what is required in the labor is required.

I know what your lawyer is saying .. my company guy said the same thing and look what has happened to me. Dont do the same mistake that I did. In my denial letter it is clearly stated by the adjudicating officer that I need to have Bachelors + 7 years or Masters + 2 years to qualify for the job as per the approved labor provided by the Department of Labor. And on top of that my company guy told me that the adjudicating officer is wrong !!. I hired a new lawyer and asked her the same question (and she belongs to a very reputable law firm), and she told me the same thing that the adjudicator has written. According to her this is a common mis-concpetion in people and lawyers alike.

Con_File_Feb said:
Ok, I understand better now. So, dazzling when you got the REF, what did you do? How did your send the explanation.
1. When you get the REF, if it is mentioned like that in labor can you change the category to EB3 and process your application.
2. Can you get any experience letter, which states that you were working in last 2 years of your bachelor degree will that be taken as any experience letter? Will that be counted.
Rather than waiting for denial, can you please tell me from your experience what can be done.
Thank You again.
I did not get a RFE. I got a straight denial. If I would have got a RFE, I would have been good because I do have a Masters Degree. My case was misrepresented the first time around. In my case I have 3.7 years of work ex prior to Labor PD. So the officer thourght that I had Bachelors with around 4 years experience and he wrote in denial that clearly I do not qualify for both EB2 and the labor requirements and my case is denied. I have filed a Motion to Reopen last week only.

I am not sure if they consider experience gained while doing Bachelors in EB2. There was a post on this by UnitedNations and it looks like they do not. however, I would advise you to still collect experience letters for the same for RFE and hope for the best.

Hi,
I spoke to my lawyer about this and he says that
4. Section 14: Education: College Degree Required (specify) – Master of Science or Bachelor of science with 5 years of experience.

And that is all you need and you qualify for this.
------------------------------------------------------------------
So, can we say that if there were no years in
I would have qualified for Bachelor with 5 years of experience.

Con_File_Feb said:
Hi Dazzling,

Thank your time.

Con_File_Feb said:
Hi,
I spoke to my lawyer about this and he says that
4. Section 14: Education: College Degree Required (specify) – Master of Science or Bachelor of science with 5 years of experience.

And that is all you need and you qualify for this.
------------------------------------------------------------------
So, can we say that if there were no years in
I would have qualified for Bachelor with 5 years of experience.
Yes you are right. But you do have Years in Experience and in my opinion you may have a problem. Doesn't matter what your lawyer says, his saying will not change what the law is or what the USCIS Officer thinks or his manual says.

How to refile from EB2 to EB3

HI Unitednations,

I gone thru this link. How to chnage from EB2 to EB3. Can you please explain.

Regards,

GCNSC2004 said:
HI Unitednations,

I gone thru this link. How to chnage from EB2 to EB3. Can you please explain.

Regards,
If you have already filed, then you may get a RFE on this if USCIS thinks that you do not qualify for EB2 and qualify for EB3. But you should always qualify for Labor requirements. Now the labor requirements can be either less than or more then what is required for EB2 (which is Masters Degree in the specified field of study in labor or Bachelors Degree in the specified field in labor + 5 years experience).

The other option to save time is to file another 140 on the same labor in EB3. The way to do this is that you will attach a copy of the labor and write your A# on the new 140 application. You should also attach a letter stating that the original labor is in your other file. Using the A#, USCIS will be able to locate your file and look at the original labor and put your EB3 application in your file.

UN , please check my reply.

Hi UN sir,
Thanks for your response.
My I140 applied on EB2 in July 04 in NSC.
My 750A form, section 14 shows MS degree in Comp science, IS, Maths, business or Engg.
Section 15 shows 2 years exp in Oracle and web technologies.
Job title: Sr Web Developer.
Salary $ 55K.
I have 3 years degree in B.SC (Computer Science) and 2 years degree in M.sc (Comp science) and around 10 years IT industry exp. My H1b visa will expire on 2nd week of Jan 2005. Ofcourse I have EAD. My company said they will apply for H1b extension.

As I mentioned in my previous postings, my previous employer applied I140 in Jan 2001 and approved in Mar 2001. It was in EB2, MS and 2 year exp requirement. At that time I did not apply for I485, because I laid off in Apr 2001.

My questions are:
1. In my case, is it possible to request change from EB2 to EB3?
2. How can we amend the existing I140 form?
3. After amending I140 or file on EB3, do I need to update my pending I485?

Please give me your valuable advice.

Regards,

unitednations said:
file new 140 with same labor and ask for eb3, or amend existing 140 and request change to eb3.

If i was in your situation, I would just file new 140 on same labor with eb3 option.

This way you could have two processes going on at the same time and whichever one gets approved first and is more advantageous to you then choose that one. (advantageous is from visa retrogression point of view).

Hi Dazzling can you please check my recent post and reply?

Thank you. I gone thru your response.

dazzling said:
If you have already filed, then you may get a RFE on this if USCIS thinks that you do not qualify for EB2 and qualify for EB3. But you should always qualify for Labor requirements. Now the labor requirements can be either less than or more then what is required for EB2 (which is Masters Degree in the specified field of study in labor or Bachelors Degree in the specified field in labor + 5 years experience).

The other option to save time is to file another 140 on the same labor in EB3. The way to do this is that you will attach a copy of the labor and write your A# on the new 140 application. You should also attach a letter stating that the original labor is in your other file. Using the A#, USCIS will be able to locate your file and look at the original labor and put your EB3 application in your file.

GCNSC2004 said:
Hi UN sir,
Thanks for your response.
My I140 applied on EB2 in July 04 in NSC.
My 750A form, section 14 shows MS degree in Comp science, IS, Maths, business or Engg.
Section 15 shows 2 years exp in Oracle and web technologies.
Job title: Sr Web Developer.
Salary $ 55K.
I have 3 years degree in B.SC (Computer Science) and 2 years degree in M.sc (Comp science) and around 10 years IT industry exp. My H1b visa will expire on 2nd week of Jan 2005. Ofcourse I have EAD. My company said they will apply for H1b extension.

As I mentioned in my previous postings, my previous employer applied I140 in Jan 2001 and approved in Mar 2001. It was in EB2, MS and 2 year exp requirement. At that time I did not apply for I485, because I laid off in Apr 2001.

My questions are:
1. In my case, is it possible to request change from EB2 to EB3?
2. How can we amend the existing I140 form?
3. After amending I140 or file on EB3, do I need to update my pending I485?

Please give me your valuable advice.

Regards,
What kind of education evalaution was submitted with your application?

If you are afraid that you may get a denial, file another 140 in EB3. Do not file concurrent. That is the best advice I can give you, but then I am not a lawyer. Talk to your lawyer and find out what he thinks.