Labor in Minnesota

ashokdarsh

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

Can any one tell me what is the Minimum Prevailing wage for Labor approval in Minnesota for a Software Proferssional with 3 yrs of work experience in the skills.
The reason I'm asking this is because my Attorney has asked our company to raise my salary since the salary that we specified was not enough & the DOL Minnesota would come back & tell us to increase my salary.
Right now my salary is 40 K.
This salary that we are specifying, is it for the enployment now or for the future employment ? My company doesn't have any plans on raising my salary at this time of the year..

can any one suggest me.. If some one can tell something before the end of Thursday I'd really really appreciate it, as I can go ahead with the newspaper Ad.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Here is the DOL link where you can check the prevailing wages.

http://edc.dws.state.ut.us/owl.asp

As per my understanding, your current salary has no co-relation to the minimum wages that DOL specifies for your job category & your employer does not have to raise your "current" salary to that level.

Only when you get your GC is the employer obliged to pay the minimum wages as specified by DOL. However your employer would have to make the undertaking in the labor application agreeing to pay the minimum wages once the GC is approved, which could easily be 2-3 years down the line.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer:
The above is just my understanding on the subject, which may be wrong. I assume no responsibility of any consequences arising out of taking my advice at face value. Please check with your lawyer to be absolutely certain.

There is another option which needs some persuation. TYou can ask teh employer to raise the salary temporarily while giving some sort of a undertaking that if you leave before certain date you have to return the extra amount of salary. Also after certain date (may be after 1 year when the labor is gone through), they may drop the salary. I have heard this somewhere and some companies do this.

Even another option is to give you a future raise now and you dont get a raise may be after 2 years. This way you get the hike and employer is comfortable. Probably you have to give some sort of undertaking for them to be comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Which category are you applying to? and who is your lawyer? This is a very jittery period and I am also not having a comfortable sleep (newspaper ad stage now, on EB2 RIR).

MNDesi.

Originally posted by ashokdarsh
Hi all,

Can any one tell me what is the Minimum Prevailing wage for Labor approval in Minnesota for a Software Proferssional with 3 yrs of work experience in the skills.
The reason I'm asking this is because my Attorney has asked our company to raise my salary since the salary that we specified was not enough & the DOL Minnesota would come back & tell us to increase my salary.
Right now my salary is 40 K.
This salary that we are specifying, is it for the enployment now or for the future employment ?

that salary is future employment

My company doesn't have any plans on raising my salary at this time of the year..

whole lc/ I-140 / I/485 (or CP) takes more than couple of years, so by the time you received greencard you might be eligible for raise

can any one suggest me.. If some one can tell something before the end of Thursday I'd really really appreciate it, as I can go ahead with the newspaper Ad.

Thanks in advance.

If your employee is not convice for the suggested salary giving on paper for furutre, which might be the case, then ask your lawyer to reduce requirement like expeience or EB2- > Eb3 catagory.

in short don't take chance or don't hurry for advertsement and get NOF, always be prepared than sorry afterward.

I hope this helps.

Thank you, as you have suggested, my Attorney is basically reducing my experience level 'cos of the salary & prevailing wages issues in MN.

Hello All,

My attorney got the Prevailing wages from the MSDE, it comes to 78K. My company is not ready to pay that much.. They are scared to make a commitment as no one in my company makes so much.

I checked on http://edc.dws.state.ut.us/owl.asp & it states the same salary which is for a Level II position. But for the Level I position its about 47K.

Is there a way I can ask my attorney to talk to the Labor Officer & explain about my situation tell him that I don't do the job which is specified for Level II.. or is there a way to negotiate.. ???

I don't even know what to ask now.. I'm confused. Can any one help me.. !!!

Thanks
Ashok