L1 to H1 conversion - please advise

sand500

Registered Users (C)
Hi

My friend is here on a L1 visa. He wants to shift to a different US based company. Can he remain on L1 status to do this? I assume he would have to get a H1. Is this right or can he remain on L1 and move to a different company?

Secondly, does the transfer from L1 to H1 come under the yearly H1b quota restriction?

If so, this might prove to be tricky since the quota opens up only
in Oct 2007, but he will have to get the process started in April 07
since the quota usually gets filled up by then. Do you guys know of
companies which will sponsor him for the H1 in April 2007 (or whenever
the H1 application process opens up) and then wait till Oct 2007 when
the actual approval will come through?

Or is there some other option available?

Please share your experiences and suggestions. If you can give the names of some companies who would do this shift from L1 to H1 that would helpful too.

sand500 said:
Hi

My friend is here on a L1 visa. He wants to shift to a different US based company. Can he remain on L1 status to do this? I assume he would have to get a H1. Is this right or can he remain on L1 and move to a different company?

L1 is for the company where he worked outside US. (Intra company transfer). L1 is not transferable. However he can change the visa to H1 to do so.

Secondly, does the transfer from L1 to H1 come under the yearly H1b quota restriction? Definitely YES
If so, this might prove to be tricky since the quota opens up only
in Oct 2007, but he will have to get the process started in April 07
since the quota usually gets filled up by then. Do you guys know of
companies which will sponsor him for the H1 in April 2007 (or whenever
the H1 application process opens up) and then wait till Oct 2007 when
the actual approval will come through?

To get an H1 transfer, first you must get a job offer which is purely depends on the candidate merits and the employer must agree to sponser him for H1, For Year 2008 Quota opens up April 2007 and if approved he can start working from (H1 sponser) Oct 1 , 2007. A Careful planning is required.Or is there some other option available?

Please share your experiences and suggestions. If you can give the names of some companies who would do this shift from L1 to H1 that would helpful too.