Keep Green Card

luckstar

Registered Users (C)
Hi, anyone knows what is the requirement to keep the PR status after we get green card. Someone told me we have to stay in US more than half year every year, otherwise, we may loss the status. While another guy said it is okay as long as we do not continuously stay outside of state for more than half year, which means we can virtually stay outside of the state all the time, as long as we have a entry every six month. I appreciate if you guys can share your thought on it.

why....are u planning to move out of US after getting green card....

luckstar said:
Hi, anyone knows what is the requirement to keep the PR status after we get green card. Someone told me we have to stay in US more than half year every year, otherwise, we may loss the status. While another guy said it is okay as long as we do not continuously stay outside of state for more than half year, which means we can virtually stay outside of the state all the time, as long as we have a entry every six month. I appreciate if you guys can share your thought on it.

Check in "life after GC" forum. Being totally focused on life before GC here, I don't think very many of us have the answer to that question.

luckstar said:
Technically neither.

You should basically prove that US is your place of permanent residence - if it looks like you've made some other country as your permanent base, you lose your GC.

Check in the "Life After GC" forum -- there was a fairly long post on this same topic.
Plus there are numerous posts on this topic in that forum -- a search should get you all the info that you'd need.

max2k1 said:
Technically neither.

You should basically prove that US is your place of permanent residence - if it looks like you've made some other country as your permanent base, you lose your GC.

Check in the "Life After GC" forum -- there was a fairly long post on this same topic.
Plus there are numerous posts on this topic in that forum -- a search should get you all the info that you'd need.

check uscis.gov