Kansas City DO Experience

AlexanderG

Registered Users (C)
If you would like, please share any of your good or bad experience with the Kansas City District Office in this thread ... it would be interesting to hear about overall timelines, interviews or oath ceremonies.

Alex

I just sent my application a couple of days ago.
Everything SHOULD be perfect, clean, etc, etc.
I will write things here as they happen.

I have a question, I live on the Kansas side of KC and it looks like MAYBE I might get a job in Missouri, about 1 hour away from where I live.
When can I move?
Do I have wait until I'm a citizen?

Because that's going to be a hell of a commute to do for 1 year or maybe more.

In this area, if your your case would go through 'normal' you could definitely expect to be US-citizen before the end of the year. The move you indicate would still fall in the same DOS, so you would report your address change properly and have your mail forwarded. You just don't want to miss the FP, Interview or Oath letter.

Alex

Thanks for your help man.
Damn that was a fast reply.

I don't think it should be a problem, my lease ends in August and I still haven't have an interview with that company. But for certain reasons I think is very likely that I'll get that job.

Do you have any other useful information that I could use?
You don't have to write anything long, just anything that might help me (other people's timelines in KC, webpage with questions for the interview, map of INS districts)

Last edited by a moderator:
smile .... that is a pretty broad set of questions. The USCIS website provides you with all you need to know and I'll get back with you next week with some useful links for KC. You still have a few months before you have to worry about the interview. Alex

Today I got a "notice of action"
I'm being told that I only sent $330 and it should be $400.
Looks like I should have sent $70 more for fingerprinting.

Is that going to delay the process, I'm sending the $70 money today (same day I got the letter)

Am I supposed to send back the letter that I got from INS with the money order?

Kansan in KC moving to Wichita.

I applied for USC in march. The timeline you can see from my signature. I am moving to Wichita soon, like in about 2 weeks. I guess I will call the 1-800 number and inform them of my new address. I think I have to send in a form also. I don't think that should cause any problems.

Fountainhead said:
I applied for USC in march. The timeline you can see from my signature. I am moving to Wichita soon, like in about 2 weeks. I guess I will call the 1-800 number and inform them of my new address. I think I have to send in a form also. I don't think that should cause any problems.
Did you send $330 or $400?
Just wondering.

Danilo-11 said:
Did you send $330 or $400?
Just wondering.

Danilo, the current fees are $400 ($330+$70) .. I mailed the fees as one check with my N400. I think the missing $70 may cause a slight administrative delay - if at all. Nothing that would significantly impact the overall process.

Alex

Thanks man.
I don't think that it would cause a delay. I guess in the worse case it would be like if I was applying again today (that's my guess).

If I had sent the $400. What would my NOA would have said?

Got my letter for fingerprinting appointment today.
My appointment is on 05-31-06 :)

This stuff is going really fast.

About how long does it take from the FP interview to becoming a citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danilo-11 said:
Got my letter for fingerprinting appointment today.
My appointment is on 05-31-06 :)

This stuff is going really fast.

About how long does it take from the FP interview to becoming a citizen.

Well ... a guess is all you can expect. I'd put my money on that you have your oath about two weeks before Haloween.

Alex

I hope that is true. I am planning on travelling back home in November. It would be nice not to have to spend more money applying for the Travel Document.
How long is the work permit taking? I have a job offer to start June 5th. The guyz at the immigration said I can work while waiting for it if the employer agrees. The employer prefers I wait to get it. :(

When I got my green card about 3-4 years ago, I was told that as soon I applied for the actually green card (I-765) I could get my working permit.
I don't know how it is now.

Got my letter for the interview.
Is there anything that I REALLY need to know before I go to the interview?
Any links?
Are they going to ask me how much I like Bush? (I'm playing :D )

How long does it usually take from the interview to the "oath ceremony"?

Had my interview (Kansas City) and it was much easier than what I expected.
- She requested my driver's license, green card and passport
- Went through the application to make sure everything was correct
- Answer 6 of the history/government questions (6/10 = pass)

The whole thing took about 15-20 minutes.
Now I'm just waiting for my letter to go to the oath ceremony

Update For Our Kc Applicants

I had my Interview today and it went great.
I arrived there at 8.15 AM and my appointment wasn't until 8.40 AM so while I was waiting one of the security officers there tried to calm some of our nerves .....
At exactly 8.40 AM my Name was called, I walked into a area where she stopped me real quick, greeted me and ask me for any kind of ID so it is really me.
The she walked me into her office and had me sit down. She pulled up my file on the computer, opened my paper file and had me stand up and take the oath. After that I sat back down and we went over the N-400. She made changes to my address, to an additional child and noted that I had said Yes to the question "ever been cited" and wrote next to it Speeding Ticket, Information of payment proof on file.
After that she ask me several more questions on the N-400 and from there she had me sign a paper twice and print my name once. (I think it was that I am willing to take the Oath of Allegiance). The she had me sign the front of my 2 pictures.
After that she ask me the civics questions. "What is the highest court in the United States", "Where does the freedome of speech come from", "What is the white house", "What do the stripes on the Flag represent", "Independence Day celebrates independence from whom" and "Who said liberty or give me death".
After that she ask me to read a simple sentence which I don't remember and then she had me write "I want to become a citizen of the United States" and that was it.
She handed me my aproval and told me there are 2 oathdates left in this year. One is on the 16th of Nov which I probably don't get and then the other one is the 14th of Dec and she didn't have then 2008 calendar.

But yea that is my story ....