K-1 process and Nikah ceremony

Noman74

Registered Users (C)
Will a simple Nikah ceremony before or after K-1 approval cause any trouble?
Can she disclose this information to the visa officer at the consulate? Any issues?
As per Islamic laws, a girl can not accompany her male fiancé without Nikah being done.
This will be a simple religious ceremony in our elders presence.
We do have engagement pictures together, my passport entry stamps, letters etc as proof.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Well if you disclose that then she is not eligible for K-1 as she is your wife now and hence there will be no K-1. You can have the Nikah but don't have it registered as it will create a legal marriage. Just tell them you had a religious ceremony held here performing Nikah only which is not registered and it's done in respect of the Islamic and the US law and once you are in US you will have the marriage performed and registered pursuant to a Marriage license issued in the state of your residence in US and then petition for her accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's better to have the Nikah done after the K-1 issued just to be on the safe side. Consular officers are very skeptical in Pakistan about all this.
Or she can say the rukhsatee will be done by some elder relatives or family friends in US.

That depends on the interpretation of the local jurisdiction. If that ceremony is considered a legal union in the local jurisdiction, then K-1 cannot be used.

This will be a simple religious ceremony in our elders presence.

Just for the record, I am a muslim and a Pakistani. There is no Islamic law stopping her from traveling to the US as a single girl. Do not label a cultural taboo as an "islamic law".

As per Islamic laws, a girl can not accompany her male fiancé without Nikah being done.

Well if you disclose that then she is not eligible for K-1 as she is your wife now and hence there will be no K-1. You can have the Nikah but don't have it registered as it will create a legal marriage. Just tell them you had a religious ceremony held here performing Nikah only which is not registered and it's done in respect of the Islamic and the US law and once you are in US you will have the marriage performed and registered pursuant to a Marriage license issued in the state of your residence in US and then petition for her accordingly.

Thanks for you reply namecheck. If a Nikah is not registered, will it not be considered a legal marriage to U.S consulate? Thanks

See above. The bottom line is what the local jurisdiction (city/district/province) makes of the cermony. If it is a legal union there, it is a legal union in the eyes of the US consulate.

If a Nikah is not registered, will it not be considered a legal marriage to U.S consulate?

That depends on the interpretation of the local jurisdiction. If that ceremony is considered a legal union in the local jurisdiction, then K-1 cannot be used.

Just for the record, I am a muslim and a Pakistani. There is no Islamic law stopping her from traveling to the US as a single girl. Do not label a cultural taboo as an "islamic law".

Thanks Mr. Ghori for your reply. Maybe I didn't use the correct words to discribe my situation but nonetheless our culture makes it tough for her to travel as a "finance". But I agree there is no Islamic law which prevents her from travelling with me. I am just concerned how U.S Consulate will view a simple Nikah ceremony if it is not registered. Thanks