Just got a 3 TN with a new employer but only till the duration of the passport expiration

sabih

Registered Users (C)
I just managed to get a 3 TN through a new employer. The officer at Peace bridge although approved our 3 year TN, yet he didn't specify that date with those on I-94s that he issued since he was of the view that the TN can be valid firstly as much as the duration of the main applicant's valid passport and then later based on each dependent's valid passport . Hence myself and my kids got it for 2 1/2 and my wife got it for 1 1/2 year. He told us that when we renew our passports, we should come back, pay $6 a piece and get another I-94. I am not sure if this is the correct process or the officer was misinformed since we now have to go to the border alteast 2 times to renew the TN, firstly for my wife and then for the rest.

TN is absolutely NOT based on any passport, so the guy was full of it. In any event, you are now stuck, and will have to do what he says.

Is there any TN rule that I could refer to in case of applying for another 3 year TN (thru another company) without having a valid passport for that length?

Thre NAFTA handbook is absolutely silent on the need for a passport. It is an entry status, and is subject to entry requirements, not visa requirements.. There is no requirement to have a specific passport validity duration on any entry into US.