Just called USCIS for AC 21 clarification

papajohn said:
Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, Jim's statement seem to indicate that the argument is based on I-140 approval is not relevant after 180 days. I think the point several of the forum members are trying to make is not do away with the I-140 approval after 180 days, but not make it binding to change jobs. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the new employer has to fill out some form which indicates what the position is for and qualifications required. How hard is it to verify the LC and the new form and then approve or deny I-140 based on the findings ?

There are many issues that need to be considered at the I-140 stage, ability to pay, qualification of the alien for the preference category (i.e. does the alien really qualify for an EB-2(or whatever)), the availability of a job, and the alien's intent to join are just some.

Here is what people must understand and what I don't think attorneys are making clear in some cases:

There is a difference between what I will advise a client to do if he has a choice and the arguments that I will make in court. There is what I consider "safe" and what I will argue if a case is denied. The further you get from what is clearly "safe" the more likely that an attorney will need to make an argument about this on appeal.

If you have a choice, do not leave an employer or notify USCIS of your changed intent before an I-140 is approved. Taking another course of action may lead to the denial of the I-485. Advice of an IIO would not be seen as binding to an adjudications officer, the Administrative Appeals Office, an Immigration Judge or the Board of Immigration Appeals. Even formal written memos from William Yates are not seen as binding so where does that leave the advice over the phone of a low ranked immigration information officer?

gcbandwagon, Who is your lawyer in Michigan

gcbandwagon said:
I talked with my lawyer and he says that there is no problem at all in using AC21 so long as you have completed 6 months.I think he is one of the better lawyers in Michigan and I trust his opinion.He says he has atleast 10 cases with him who have already done that as 140 is stuck presently.He however did mention that use it as a last resort and it is much safer to wait for 140,as this mean will a lot less hassles in case of a RFE.

gcbandwagon, Who is your lawyer in Michigan. Please advide as I'm in Michigan and my Laweyer is Amarnath Gowda.