Jury Duty

Which state bothers you the least? This whole jury system is weird. I would NOT want someone like me on a jury if I were on trial.

Actually jury duty can be a life changing experience in a positive way. I don't have much knowledge of states other than California but I'm guessing that the differences will be cosmetic as far as performing the duty is concerned. I meant that you could pick a state that doesn't require jury duty for non-citizens - like California.

cafeconleche,

It is not really all that weird. Having a "judge" make a decision like in some countries, is not foolproof. Judges can be biased too.

is it legal for employers to fire the employee if he/she has to serve jury duty?

for example, let's say I'm supposed to give a very important presentation to a very important customer... but I got jury on that day... if my employer lets me off on that day, my company will lose that new account, costing the company nearly $260,000.... can my employer fire me for this?

or will the court allow me to not serve on that day because of this?

thanks! :)

is it legal for employers to fire the employee if he/she has to serve jury duty?

for example, let's say I'm supposed to give a very important presentation to a very important customer... but I got jury on that day... if my employer lets me off on that day, my company will lose that new account, costing the company nearly $260,000.... can my employer fire me for this?

thanks!

Since the jury summons are mailed out well in advance, I would hope you would inform your employer of the summons. Washington state wants you to show the summons to the employer. My company, for example, would issue a letter to the court saying that we need the individual for work and ask that they be excused from jury duty. It is about 45% will allow and 55% the court says no.

--Rafiq

thanks! :)

The court will defer your jury duty to a later date. It's been done several times at the company I work for. If an employee working on a time-critical project has been summoned for jury duty, the company issues a letter requesting the court to postpone the jury duty.