Jury Duty after Scheduled Naturalization Interview

gcwait2004

Registered Users (C)
My Wife's interview is scheduled on 10/26/2009 in San Francisco

In the meanwhile she has received summons for jury duty for 11/4/2009.

Normally in San Francisco oath is about a month after the interview. In this case should we send back the jury summons since she is not a citizen yet or wait till interview on Oct 26 and then respond?

The understanding is that unless once takes oath and receives naturalization certificate he/she is not a US citizen; is that correct?

Any advise would be helpful

Thanks,

She's not a citizen until she takes the oath.
Therefore send the notice back with a copy of her green card as proof that she's not a citizen.

Normally in San Francisco oath is about a month after the interview. In this case should we send back the jury summons since she is not a citizen yet or wait till interview on Oct 26 and then respond?

The understanding is that unless once takes oath and receives naturalization certificate he/she is not a US citizen; is that correct?

Thanks,
if she gets same day oath then she becomes citizen as soon as she receives the certificate that is on 10/26 - that is what you got to explain -

if she gets same day oath then she becomes citizen as soon as she receives the certificate that is on 10/26 - that is what you got to explain -

The answer would still be based on the time you receive jury duty notice. For example, if you receive jury duty notice in October for a December court date and your naturalization oath is November, you would still send back the notice with the words "Not US citizen" since your answer is based on your status at the time you received notice rather than any future date.

The answer would still be based on the time you receive jury duty notice. For example, if you receive jury duty notice in October for a December court date and your naturalization oath is November, you would still send back the notice with the words "Not US citizen" since your answer is based on your status at the time you received notice rather than any future date.

Correct.
To be sure just sign and date the form.

Thanks,

If the jury duty letter has a deadline for reply, wait until that moment and see if the oath is done by then. If it is done, it is a must to attend. Otherwise, make sure to put a note in there saying that your wife is not a citizen yet. If there is no deadline to reply, then wait until the interview, see how it goes and when the oath will be scheduled and make a judgment then. BTW, you better NOT mention this jury duty letter during interview. Some IO's might think you claimed citizenship in the past or something just like an IO denied somebody's citizneship because he didn't disclose he is a member of sam's club store when the form asked if he member of any organization or club.

If the jury duty letter has a deadline for reply, wait until that moment and see if the oath is done by then. If it is done, it is a must to attend. Otherwise, make sure to put a note in there saying that your wife is not a citizen yet. If there is no deadline to reply, then wait until the interview, see how it goes and when the oath will be scheduled and make a judgment then. BTW, you better NOT mention this jury duty letter during interview. Some IO's might think you claimed citizenship in the past or something just like an IO denied somebody's citizneship because he didn't disclose he is a member of sam's club store when the form asked if he member of any organization or club.

Again, a response is dependent on your status at the time you receive the notice, not of your status at a future date.
Also, there's no requirement to disclose jury duty notices at your interview so there's no reason why it would come up in the first place (unless of course you falsely claimed to be a US citizen on the jury duty response notice).

don't worry about it. one day earlier than oath, she isn't a citizen yet. simply send back stating- not a citizen. one reason is enough.

you misunderstood, that's not their fault, they don't know

if you are a citizen or not, i received 3 times jury duty letter before i even received my green card. it's normal.:) you just returned and advised- not a citizen.

Again, a response is dependent on your status at the time you receive the notice, not of your status at a future date.
Also, there's no requirement to disclose jury duty notices at your interview so there's no reason why it would come up in the first place (unless of course you falsely claimed to be a US citizen on the jury duty response notice).

Same Day Oath in SF

Getting Same Day Oath in SF unheard and unlikely. Waiting for Oath is likely.

I think spiderman used it as an extreme fictitious example rather than fact to make his point.

I certainly hope so. Fact is, I really wouldn't be surprised. It's just about on the same level of ridiculous as nyc_newbie's case.

On the other hand, since this is a jury duty thread, I just did my first jury duty last week. Originally, I had to go in for jury selection on September 25. I got picked for a personal injury case and had to show up for trial on October 8. After spending 6 hours in the jury room, we were called by the jury clerk and informed that the case has been settled (as is usually the case with personal injury lawsuits). Oh well, now I'm safe for at least the next 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
We mailed back the jury duty reponse form stating she is not a US citizen and enclosed copy of GC

Thanks for all the help

I certainly hope so. Fact is, I really wouldn't be surprised. It's just about on the same level of ridiculous as nyc_newbie's case.

On the other hand, since this is a jury duty thread, I just did my first jury duty last week. Originally, I had to go in for jury selection on September 25. I got picked for a personal injury case and had to show up for trial on October 8. After spending 6 hours in the jury room, we were called by the jury clerk and informed that the case has been settled (as is usually the case with personal injury lawsuits). Oh well, now I'm safe for at least the next 4 years.

What the update on nyc_newbie's case? His had personal bias written all over it!

What the update on nyc_newbie's case? His had personal bias written all over it!

Oh yeah, his case is a good example of blatant abuse of authority on the IO's part. A couple of weeks ago, nyc_newbie received a second FP letter, and was reinterviewed a couple of months back. The lawyer who's handling his appeal said that it's definitely a good sign. Last I talked to him (a week or so ago), he told me that he called USCIS and was informed that his case is currently under review by a supervisor.

while we are on Jury topic that I would post my question. I recently got my citizenship and I will be out of country for somtime on business. What is the possiblity of getting jury duty. Is there any mechanism to inform the court system that I will be out of country so that they don't schedule jury duty.

Thanks