• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Jobs/Accomdation in USA

ghsam

Registered Users (C)
It looks like most of the threads have focus on visa acquisition but there is one fundamental point that is not being dicusssed ie how easily is to get jobs/accomadation in the USA.
let talk to this issue.

1.How easily can one get a job when he/she arrives in the USA after he has the GC and SSN . Will that individual need to attend a USA school to easily get the job?Even if he has adv.degree and a member of the UK accountancy body like the ACCA and has great experience in a blue chip company not based in USA.

2.What is the avearge rental rates for accommadtion in USA for a 2 bedroom apartment and how easily can one get it.

3.School fees for kids is it free or private ?If free it becomes a public charge is it correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jobs are hard to find in the US. The more desireable of a place you want to live in the harder it will be to find a job in general. My husband spent 16 months getting his first job after getting here. The same for housing , the more desirable the place the higher the rent. Many people in the Los Angeles live 30 miles from their work just to get an affordable place. Many people locally share rentals to reduce the cost. To look for regular apartment rentals there are web sites like www.forrent.com or www.apartmentfinder.com If you are looking on the cheaper end look in places like www.craigslist.com or www.pennysaver.com

I forgot about the school question
If you are in the US on a green card your children can attend public school for "free" They will need to pay for lunches and their supplies. Private schools tend to be very pricy. In large citys have charater schools in the public system that specialize in subject areas that tend to give a better education than regular public school.

be careful with craigs list ..most of the ads are scams ...so never give money to someone by wire transfer or paying into someones bank account before seeing the place ..also pla es they advertise on craigs list often are not the ones they actually rent out .for example they put up nice photo on ads but when you get there is a total trash ..
also be careful about one more thing ..in the usa there is a lot of dangerous places and crazy people .;if you share the place chose wisely ..lots of people working "regular" jobs are on drugs 24/7 ...it happened to me 3-4 times that I shared the flat with some people who turned out to be crazy ,psychotic or just plain criminals ..first place I got when I arrived in the USA was pretty clean and more or less "safe" but at the first look I could not detect the problem so i rented the room ..funny thing is the owners GAVE ME HARD TIME SINCE I WAS A FOREIGNER ..lol..and that first place i got was inhabited by 2 full time drug dealers !!..so I had to run away leaving the deposit money and all after couple weeks

about jobs ..well I think its gonna be struggle for you to find anything ..I think US is finished as a country ..I think is gonna go from bad to worse here ..I think I'll get the citizenship and never bother to come back again here ..

Among the 50+ states of USA. which one do people think has fairly more job opportunities?

about jobs ..well I think its gonna be struggle for you to find anything ..I think US is finished as a country ..I think is gonna go from bad to worse here ..I think I'll get the citizenship and never bother to come back again here ..
Umm, if you're never going to go back then why bother with citizenship? Or do you just like filing US taxes returns each year?

Umm, if you're never going to go back then why bother with citizenship? Or do you just like filing US taxes returns each year?

funny guy ..did you come out stupid like that by birth or you went to school to become one ?
what do you think ...why I want to become a citizen..?..think ..its easy to figure out ..

you know it looks like more and more people bribe someone so they can work
I know some people they just pay something to the manager in say mcdonalds or burger king and they get the job !
some give percentage of the salary to the managers (this goes in restaurants) ..just so they can work ..or if they need more hours etc ..so maybe you should consider something like that ..I don't have much experience with that but its happening often (so it seems)....my very close friend payed to work as a valet boy for some restaurant ..he is making good money but he paid 5000 dollars to the manager of that place so he can work there ..but he is making about 100-200 per night in tips ..so I guess it paid off...but manager was asking for percentage also ..so my friend d has a problem now ..also it could be that someone might offer more money for the same work place

funny guy ..did you come out stupid like that by birth or you went to school to become one ?
what do you think ...why I want to become a citizen..?..think ..its easy to figure out ..

Hmm, let me think. Is it because you want to become a citizen and claim all of the benefits of being a citizen eg. welfare, social security etc and then continue to go on to complain about the country and the people. Dude you want to resort to childish name calling that's up to you, but you're the person that sounds stupid on this forum. Again, if you don't plan to ever go back to USA after you become a citizen then why become a citizen?

ayayyaay ..dude really ..social security and free med care I have back home and much more money then they give in USA ..THINK DUDE THINK ..YOU CAN'T BE THAT STUPID !!..I refuse to believe that there is a people like you in the world :cool:

ayayyaay ..dude really ..social security and free med care I have back home and much more money then they give in USA ..THINK DUDE THINK ..YOU CAN'T BE THAT STUPID !!..I refuse to believe that there is a people like you in the world :cool:

Wow, I'm 32 and today is the day I find out that I'm actually 'Stupid'!!!! Because I'm with Time Traveller. I also don't get why you're sticking around.

Hi friend how are you
Really, it's a good question and also it depends on the place where you are living
suppose i'm a graduate student from suny newpaltz i'm doing internship now, because i'm close to big job market like NEW JERSEY,NEW YORK,DELAWARE...
go through this link

ghsam,

#1 - its hard to really give an accurate answer abt jobs in the US. Everyone's experience is different, as it depends several factors, such as career field and the location you're at. I've seen alot of people struggle, while I on the other hand take a couple of calls from recruiting agents for available jobs (no guarantee that I'd get the job though). In the last couple of weeks though those calls have since all gone away, which gives me the feeling there are fewer companies out there recruiting to keep recruiters busy with head-hunting.

#2 - rental rates all depend on your location too. For instance a 2 bedroom apartment in New York might get you a 2 bedroom home in Austin. Rentals in LA vary anywhere from $800 to $2800 depending on the neighborhood you're in. I know someone who moved from LA where he was paying $1800 for a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath apartment to Pittsburgh where he now pays $950 for a 3 bedroom condo. If you know where it is you want to go to, then like S_Owoh said, I'd recommend looking at the websites listed - also be cautious about craigslist, like NICK66 mentioned. I'd actually recommend you avoid them till you get the hang of things around here.

#3 - public school is free to everyone, through high school. If you can afford private school then you got more options. Certain neighborhoods have great school districts, so their public schools seem like private school quality in comparison to other school districts.

ghsam,

your job prospect would depend on your field but I cant see you'd have too much problem with the field you're in. However since I'd assume laws and regulations would be different in the US, you might have to do a bridging course of some sort. that would be my guess. My husband's a Biomedical Scientist (called Medical Technologist in the US). In Australia once you graduate from uni you can go ahead and start practicing. However in the US anyone who wants to work in that field needs to take an exam and be registered with ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathologists). Without it one simply cannot work. My husband had already taken that exam (during our past attempts to get in to the US) and is now registered. So it might be a good idea to get into touch with an Accounting Body/ Association of some sort to find out the requirements for overseas qualified individuals. (I've got a degree in media but won't be working for a while as we have a young family. So work hasnt been an issue for me personally). Also we've decided that unless we find work while we're still in Australia we won't be going anywhere. It's just not wise to move a young family to uncertainty. However we can widen our area of job search (right now we're only focusing on Austin, Texas) if nothing comes up in Austin.

For rents again it depends on the state you're looking at. I've done a massive amount of search on housing. I love this one website oodle.com You can look up rentals for anywhere in the country. Go on to yahoo answers and have a look at past questions and answers and find out about which suburbs are good in the city you're planning on moving to. It is true that the answers aren't always objective but you still get some idea. I mean if 49 out of 50 people say that Round Rock or Cedar Park in Austin, Texas is a good family area and such and such areas are the ones you need to stay away from then that's a fair stat for me. And then I start looking for rentals in those areas.

Government schools are free. Again there's a whole lot of info online. look up reviews on school districts in the area you're planning on moving to. I mean I love Seattle area but I've never read anything positive about public schooling in seattle (over populated classrooms, not enough funding etc etc) I've read a news article the other day and it was talking about how because of budget cuts they've decided to have 4 day school weeks instead of 5 days in some areas in South Dakota :/ just things like that. again yahoo answers is pretty good :)

Apart from these I researh other things. How much cars cost, interest rates on car loans and how much my repayments would be per month. How much the car insurance would cost per year. What would be the the cost of utilities, electricty, gas, internet, mobile phones etc etc. of course you cant bring it down to last penny but you can get a fair idea with a bit of research. Dont laugh but I've even gone onto big supermarket websites (you know large chains like Tesco or Asda in the UK) and looked at their catalogues and things, just to get a feel for what food costs in comparison to Australia :)

Hmmm maybe I should start up a business :p

All the best to you. It's all very exciting :)

Last edited by a moderator: