Job Market as compared to US

amit kapoor

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

I have a Canadian PR but I am yet to enter Canada. Currently I am working in a small company as Marketing Manager drawing 65k USD. I am really confused and would like some help from you all. Would it be a good decision to move to Canada.

AK

Hello

Hello Amit,

I am kinda in a similar boat, except that I am in the IT field and on a H1B Visa. The best bet for you is to try getting a Job in canada and see how that goes. what was your primary intention for getting a PR ?

hello a.k.

I don\'t think the job market in Canada is as good as the U.S. although it depends on the talents you have and whether there is a demand there....It also depends on what status you give up to go to...is the Canadian status more permanent. The lifestyle is definitely different...you could take a vacation and job hunt while you are up there to try to compare.
jobs can be found at www.monster.com or the canadian newspapers.
Salaries are generally lower in Canada but costs are similar except for healthcare which is lower. Public schools are better and universities are slightly lower in price. I would say crime per capita is lower or different in type but that can depend on the city.

Dear Suzette

Thanks for your reply. Even without starting the job hunt, I am more or less convinced that I won\'t be able to get a job that pays me equally. I gather that getting a 90K (Canadian) job in Toronto is remote possibility.

I have an H1. The only reason that I applied for PR was to get my parents over here which is not a possiblity with US green card.

I would appreciate the opinions of other friends on the board.

Thanks,

AK

No Title

You need to work/live for minimum 1 year in Canada to Sponser your parents and you should meet the Minimum yearly groos income to Sponser and you should have established your permanent residency in Canada. By just Landing , getting SIN, opening a bank account in Canada will not qualify you to sponser your parents, you have to show Canadiuan Income to sponser.

Hi Inder

Dear Inder,

I am planning to set up a company in Canada and my employer is willing to pay me in Canada. That way I should be able to show Canadian income.

I am also exploring the possibility of actually setting up some business in Canada. Something like a store or distribution business. If you have an idea about the business scenario, please let me know.

Thanks

AK

No Title

That will be OK if you open a buisness or get paid by Canadian company not by jusy USA based company.Regarding the setting up buisness you have to first decide in which city you want to open store.

Are you sure

Dear Inder,

Are you sure that if only the US based company pays then it would not be considered.

Regarding the store, I am considering Toronto area. I am not sure about financing. Do they finance the new PRs if I put in around 25% of the value.

Thanks,

AK

Move to Canada? Are things that Bad?

I\'m from Hamilton Ontario, lived in Yellowknife NWT for about 9 years.

Have Greencard now and living in Raleigh, NC.

While the Canadian Government has had a some recent extremely good fiscal years (Canada has reduced it\'s Government Debt by 57% over the past 9 years), the Canadian GNP is costly tied to the US do to heavy trade between both countries.

If you\'re moving from New York to Toronto the climate is about the same. People are more friendly, less crime, better schools, excellent Healthcare and extremely good beer.

It is best to incorporate yourself in Canada to protect yourself from the taxman, oh - and bring a sweater. As always the best policy is to plan, go and see for yourself - it\'s a great country, and if I ever get cancer - I\'ll be back in a heartbeat!

Ryan

Dear Ryan,

Your title said : Moving to Canada ? Are things that bad ?

The reason that I wish to move to Canada are

1. Freedom to do whatever I want to do which is not the case with an H1. I wish to set up a business and years seem to fly by so fast. I am skeptical about the returns in business as compared to US but I am planning to take that chance. (Every one\'s comments and views are appreciated)

2. I wish to have my old parents with me which is a remote possiblity in the US. It would take another 7-8 years to get them here.

Look forward to different views.

Thanks.

AK